Urgent need of food donations!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Hogar Do?a Chucha is in urgent need of food donations. Do?a Chucha is home to 90 girls from all ages. Since most of the help is being focused on Haiti the centers that were receiving food donations are now left empty handed. The Executive Director Rafaelina Brito, explained that since the quake they have been struggling to feed the 90 girls and 36 employees at the center. Food donations are urgently needed. Same goes for the girls at Foundaci?n Madelaes.

Hogar Escuela de ni?as Do?a Chucha
Caonabo # 44,
Gazcue, Santo Domingo
Tel. 809-685-8000

Fundaci?n Madelaes
La Victoria, Santo Domingo
Tel. 809-258-8770

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Juanita, what can those of who aren't in DR do? Are you collecting money somehow to purchase food staples? I'd be happy to contribute if you can do the buying and delivering.

Come on members, this sounds serious.

AE

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Here are a few options:
- http://www.mandale.com.do/mandale/default.aspx (great easy option)
- Western Union
- Paypal (I would need to check with mountainannie how that works)

I have no problem with doing the shopping and delivery...which ever is easier for you.

Of course they need the basic: rice, beans, salami, and chicken. The government only supply them with the “desayuno escolar” (school breakfast) but not for all of them.

Again AE, thank you for your big heart!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As a means of bumping this at the same time as being constructive .........

Let us know when you have the PayPal system worked out & I am sure there will be a few donations sent your way. Make SURE you can extract the money though ....... sometimes PayPal make this extremely difficult if you don't have a USA bank account to credit it to!

Sounds like this might be a long term thing? Have you discussed the possibility of some staff members (&/or inmates) making up a collage of what they do & then asking local supermarkets to let them stand outside (or INside when wet weather) with a trolley available for food donations? I suggested this to a couple of the supermarkets here in POP who were all for the idea because it increased their sales. A poster (large) outside asking customers to buy ONE item (rice, tin food, soups, salami ................) to deposit/donate at the collecting basket when they walk out was my idea as donation for the Haiti effort!

Good luck with your endeavours ~ Grahame.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I am awaiting for mountainannie's answer regarding the paypal transfers. BushBaby I will pass on your idea for donations. Thanks

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
In order to use paypal, I would need a US bank account to withdraw the funds, but I only have DR accounts.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Donations also come from the population and companies in Santo Domingo. So these people that normally were taking donations to Do?a Chucha are now donating them to Haiti. That article was from 2007.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I answered Juanita about the use of my paypal.... since I lose money in the transactions.. having paid the transfer fees, the exchange rate for cashing a us check, the transport to get the money to Juanita, this is not a long term option for me.

Since she is not a US citizen, she cannot open a paypal account.

While I applaud her compassion, it does not seem viable that DR1ers either can or should take on the sponsorship of established orphanages in this country. Dona Chucha.. known as the "st Theresa of the DR"... and I remember back a couple of years ago when the director went on a hunger strike to attract attention to the fact that the government had not paid.

Seems to me that there are not a lot of orphanages in this country... and that there should be plenty of money available for the support of the few that there are.. through both the Catholic Churches and the public.

If Juanita wants DR1ers to take on one special orphanage,,, where she has been and for which we all did the bedsheet thing... that is one thing. It is a small place....
But to take on the feeding of 90 plus orphans?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I never talked about feeding 90 girls on a permanent basis or asked DR1ers to take on an orphanage, I am simply passing on the information about the problems there are facing at the MOMENT and for those of us who live here and might feel like dropping a bag of rice. Donation is what it is… donating, nothing is obligatory!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Since she is not a US citizen, she cannot open a paypal account.

Wow!!! Does this mean that this Brit is now recognised as a US citizen??:cheeky: I have a PayPal account & I have never registered for US citizenship! :):cheeky:

I think what mountainannie means here (& please correct me if I am wrong MA) is that PayPal will not refund monies (in this hemisphere) from a PayPal holders account OTHER than into a US Bank account. I am fairly confident in saying PayPal UK will refund into a BRITISH bank account & maybe it is the same for most European countries.

(any PayPal executive reading this that is prepared to acknowledge that G.W. Bush is now an American (US) citizen, please advise) ~ Grahame.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
No need to be American to have a PayPal account :cheeky:
But to be able to withdraw funds with PayPal you need an American bank account.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yes, according to the paypal international.. they will refund and deposit to local bank accounts .. mostly in European countries.. sorry for making it US based..

What I meant is that there is no way for Juanita .. living here.. to have funds deposited and withdraw in cash HERE...

It is complicated,, this money transfer stuff..

Did not mean to sound so sharp, Juanita, as I really applaud your concern and intitiatives...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
On my Paypal account, I'm offered a free Paypal Debit Card that I can use to withdraw anything in my Paypal account..... is that available to everyone around the world, or just US accounts? Sounds like it would be a perfect fit for something like this. We put the $$ into an account Juanita opens, and she uses the debit card at the supermarket to buy the rice/beans/stuff.

????

AE