Carpets, Wood flooring

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
Should I be consern about the climate and humidity here if I opt for wood or plush carpeting for my floors? I am not so consern about the wood flooring itself ( usually a composite, but rather the tounge and groove possible warping.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
temperature and humidity extremes and fluxuations are the concerns. normally problems occur in carpet when it is installed in either very cold or hot temps and then either relaxes or contracts when climate control is either lost or applied. this is basically the same concept with wood floors, thus they should be acclimated accordingly prior to installation. i would suggest a bamboo floor for the tropics as it is very humidity resistant and also ecologically friendly :) ben

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Mold, mold and more mold. You wonder why Doms are always sick. It is the mold. Hard to bleach the mold out of carpets. Composite floors or bamboo might be good for 3 to 5 years but the mold will get to them. Tile floors and area rugs IMHO are the best and healthiest way to go.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
I'm a woodworker to trade and I can't imagine what the underside of your wood flooring or carpeting would look like inside a short period of time. To quote Jumbo I'm sure it would be
Mold, mold and more mold
I mean the tops of our kitchen cupboards start to show the beginning of mold after 6 months and there's all kinds of air circulating there. I have a spare leaf for my dining room table and I stored it in the clothes closet that has vented doors. After six months I could not believe to mold that had started to form on the face that was closest to the wall!
Then there's the termites should they ever find their way in..........
Mack.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
If wood floors and carpeting were a good idea then lots of people would have them

We were chatting yesterday and carpeting came up -I know of 1 location in this entire country that has carpeting.It is a call center and they have it for sound buffering but the entire room is climate controlled.

I have not seen wood floors here in any homes. None.

It is not just the climate - heat and humidity - and the bugs it is also the way they clean here. They throw water on all floors, buckets of it. Wood floors would be ruined quickly.

There is a reason why you find tile floors EVERYWHERE..........

Stick to what we know works well here.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
If wood floors and carpeting were a good idea then lots of people would have them

We were chatting yesterday and carpeting came up -I know of 1 location in this entire country that has carpeting.It is a call center and they have it for sound buffering but the entire room is climate controlled.

I have not seen wood floors here in any homes. None.It is not just the climate - heat and humidity - and the bugs it is also the way they clean here. They throw water on all floors, buckets of it. Wood floors would be ruined quickly.

There is a reason why you find tile floors EVERYWHERE..........

Stick to what we know works well here.

Then, you have not visited many homes here.
Much of the upper middle class used wood flooring in some areas of their villas or condo
I can tell you without exaggeration that at least 7 out of 10 villas I have visited have wood floors installed, both inside and outside.
To be succesfull you have to hire professional experts in the area.
PM and I'll put in contact with some. they are very expensive.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Much of the upper middle class used wood flooring in some areas of their villas or condo
I can tell you without exaggeration that at least 7 out of 10 villas I have visited have wood floors installed, both inside and outside.

I also have been in a number of houses in the Jarabacoa region that have wood floors for their upper (second) floor.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010

You are right I dont' go to many rich people's homes........... Let's change that....;)