Visa for DR

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
As a citizen of Norway you do not need a visa to enter the DR just a tourist card which you can get open arrival at the airport. You'll need to paid for overstaying the tourist card when you leave.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Anna is correct (naturally) and I believe the cost for the overstay period would be 800 pesos for 30 days - 3 months.

hanswulff82

Jan 4, 2010
As I understand it, I can be there on a tourist card for maximum 90 days.
Does it mean that all I have to do is paying 800 pesos for staying say additional 25 days? And no extra hassle than the 800 pesos?

I am attending language school for 12 weeks (going to learn spanish ;p), can I apply for a student visa?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
As I understand it, I can be there on a tourist card for maximum 90 days.
Does it mean that all I have to do is paying 800 pesos for staying say additional 25 days? And no extra hassle than the 800 pesos?

I am attending language school for 12 weeks (going to learn spanish ;p), can I apply for a student visa?
From 30 days to 3 months RD $800.00
From 3 months to 9 months RD $1,000.00
From 9 months to 1 year RD $2,500.00
From 1 year to 1 year & 6 months RD $4,000.00
From 1 year & 6 months to 2 years RD $5,000.00
From 2 years to 2 years & 6 months RD $6,500.00
From 2 years & 6 months to 3 years RD $9,000.00
From 3 years to 5 years RD $14,000.00
From 5 years onwards RD $17,000.00

Just pay the appropriate overstay fine, no questions asked.<!-- / message -->

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
The tourist card gives you 30 days. When you leave you will be asked for the overstay fee or tax. From the number of days you have stated it should be 800 pesos. They simply take your money, give you a receipt and off you go!

May 29, 2006
Yes no need to worry about a visa at all. No hassle at all and last time I left they didn't charge me the overstay fee either. The DR will be very cheap compared to Norway!

hanswulff82

Jan 4, 2010
Thanks a lot you all. I was a bit worried for a while, but now I feel relieved.
Will go on and book my flight then.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Alternatively, sling a crucifix around your neck and tell immigration you are a missionary. Missionaries do not have to buy the Tourist Card. That will free up US$10 for some extra beers...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The DR's first pastafarian missionary is about to arrive. :laugh: See, I left the country the other day without realising that my 2 years were up and my residency has in fact been expired since December. :eek: They didn't make me pay overstay but unless they're not paying attention when I return next week I'll have to buy a tourist card.

hanswulff82

Jan 4, 2010
I sent an e-mail to the dominican embasy last week, and got my reply regarding student visa today. Apperantly it requres a lot of red tape. The visa itself cost about 120 dollars, but combined with medical tests, drug tests, etc, and everything translated into Spanish on top, it will at least be a thousand dollar, but probably more :ermm:

So traveling on the tourist card option, and paying the overstay fee seems like a no-brainer..... I have pasted the documentation required in order to get a student visa below.

1. Letter of application addressed to the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Dominican Republic, and duly signed by the applicant, which should contain the applicant?s name, nationality, place of residence, and the activity to which the applicant is or will be dedicated in the country.

2. Form 509-Ref (supplied by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Dominican Republic, Consular Section).

3. Four (4) frontal 2? x 2? photos.

4. Two (2) photocopies of the applicant?s complete passport.

5. Original passport: Valid for at least the same time or more than the validity of the required visa.

6. Proof from the university or center for studies certifying the enrollment in the university or center for studies. This document should specify the level of studies, and the length of time of the career or master.

7. Letter of Guarantee addressed to the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Dominican Republic, duly legalized and signed by the father, the guardian or the person responsible for the financial situation of the student in the country.

8. Certificate of scholarship (if the student applies to it): This document should specify the amount of the financial support or the scholarship granted as well as its validity.

9. Medical certificate attesting a diagnostic of the general state of health of the applicant showing if the person is affected by any contagious disease, Aids and antidoping tests are obligatory.

10. Certificate of ?good behaviour? and no criminal record issued by the authorities from the last country of residence of the applicant. This document is only valid for 30 days.