The power of a NEGATIVE review or post on DR1

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It never ceases to amaze me how some businesses react on DR1 to negative reviews or posts.

I have lost count the amount of times DR1 has been threatened with legal action etc due to a negative review or post. Some just don't get it and completely fail to see the opportunity in a negative review. Often in typical Dominican fashion, they become defensive and try to deflect the blame. It was the customer… Delete it or we will never advertise with you... See you in court, etc.

Some businesses need to open their eyes and understand this is an opportunity to engage your clients and actually generate more business. This is your chance to look good! Think of it like free advertising :)

If you're seen to be responding and going above what's needed to resolve the problem, you will generate a ton of new business, especially via this message board which is read by thousands of people. If you're seen to be responding and actually care, then other people will use your product or service, despite the negative review.

People want to feel comfortable and feel validated that they have made the right choice in giving you their business. This is one reason why review sites are so popular, many people post questions after they have made a choice. They are looking for social proof and some form of validation of their decision.

So…. enough of the "cease or desist" emails and start standing behind your product or service.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Apparently this applies to individuals as well as I know a couple that sub standard work by a contractor and the couple was going to spread the word and the next thing you know the couple had to go sign a document at a lawyers office absolving the contractor and agreeing to remain silent

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
It is a funny little world here, with funny laws. I remember a situation where one of the wannabe tour guide, elconde ladrons, who does a lot of taxi calls at certain hotels. Well after the tigre scammed and ripped off a few gringos, one gringo posted the warning on some local sites. The ladron still having the number of this vctim, called and threatened legal action because the said hotels stopped using his service, therefore hurting his business.
He never denied the outright theft, as that was his primary occupation, just focused on how it will reduce his potential victims in the future.
Go figure!!! wild west

Mar 2, 2008
Perhaps a little hyperbole, jr, but certainly it has been my experience that those who are the biggest cheats here are the ones quickest to threaten law suits when their "good name" is disparaged in any way.

I also must say that the interpretation of the slander laws is quite 'unique' here, and somewhat inscrutable for the uninitiated.

Please notice I made no accusations, and insinuated no wrong-doing with regard to any specific individual.:)

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
a slight exaggeration I might say

Yes, may be an exageration as a Dominican Stereotype in general, as does not apply to most of the more professional types. But as for the masses, i sadly think he has got it down quite accurately.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It is part of the culture, that nobody, just nobody, takes responsibility for anything. When one is confronted about any misstep and if he/she does not go on the defensive, right or wrong; he/she will be perceived as weak.

You can be kind and and in private try to make someone aware that their behavior is out of line. The next thing you know you are being accused of being disrespectful and if you do not appologize you are the one whose behavior is out of line.

So what happens, nobody confronts, nobody is responsible.

Figure it out, someday in the future some big name anthropologist will have an answer for this conduct !!!

Regards,
PJT

Reactions: Keith R

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
just an idea

maybe no one admits to anything cause they are afraid that they don't have anything to pay in the first place...
they've seen and heard how everyone gets taken to "poorsville"
so naturally they are trained to it wasn't me status?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I wonder if someone could get in trouble for posting the facts.

For example, let's say if a taxi driver says he will take a tourist around town for a daily fee of RD1000 and then doubles it at the end of the day would the tourist/poster be liable for slander for merely pointing out this fact?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Perhaps a little hyperbole, jr, but certainly it has been my experience that those who are the biggest cheats here are the ones quickest to threaten law suits when their "good name" is disparaged in any way.

I also must say that the interpretation of the slander laws is quite 'unique' here, and somewhat inscrutable for the uninitiated.

Please notice I made no accusations, and insinuated no wrong-doing with regard to any specific individual.:)

Sir, I have taken offense and I challenge you to a duellllllllllllllllll!
(OK, in my best Foghorn Leghorn via Colonel Sanders voice)

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I wonder if someone could get in trouble for posting the facts.

For example, let's say if a taxi driver says he will take a tourist around town for a daily fee of RD1000 and then doubles it at the end of the day would the tourist/poster be liable for slander for merely pointing out this fact?

Was there a witness who could corroborate the tourist's/posters's claim of the statement made by the taxi driver? I would think it one person's word against the other's, but, I don't live in the DR and don't know what constitutes a fact there.:confused:

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I agree that publicity can be beneficially spun if correctly attacked. May the best spinner win and may the threatening emails stop. I get the same crap. It can be very time consuming. Delegate it to the competent and move on to the tasks at hand.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Was there a witness who could corroborate the tourist's/posters's claim of the statement made by the taxi driver? I would think it one person's word against the other's, but, I don't live in the DR and don't know what constitutes a fact there.:confused:

At any rate the question is would that be considered slander if one posts the facts as they see them?