Bike rides around the North Coast

M

mrgood1000

Can anyone recommend some bike rides around the Sosua/Cabarete/POP area? I know there is a tour operator, Iguanamama, that goes to various places like a four hour daily trek through Choco Loco National Park but if anyone could recommend others to do on one's own that would be great. I don't think I have the physical ability to go the 100 miles east towards Semana but maybe short of that would be good. By the way, is it safe to ride from Cabarete to POP? Please advise.

Mar 2, 2008
Personally, I wouldn't ride a bicycle anywhere on the island. Most roads aren't built with any shoulder, and any shoulder that might be there is considered just another way to pass the guy in front. Perhaps more importantly, the majority of drivers don't watch out for bicyclists. They don't care, and if you are in their way, you are simply expendable.

In short, you would be taking your life in your hands to ride a bike here.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there is a Sosua cycling club you might want to contact

The founding members of the Sos?a Cycling Club include:
Henri van de Aa, Peter Bentvelzen, Henk Riep, Cees van Liere, John Leeuwerke, Tanja van der Vleuten, Jos van der Vleuten, Eric Gielis, Gaby Peerens, with Bert Broere (Don Andres) acting as current team leader.
If you'd like to join the club, contact Jos van der Vleuten (tel: 809-931-0226), or enquire at Hotel Don Andres.

http://www.blip.tv/file/2890946/

May 29, 2006
Biking would be incredibly hazardous on any major road. Iguana Mamas has tours of every level and I would stick with them until you fully understand the risks.