An Afterschool/Weekend Learning Center

Charles Lowman

Mar 14, 2010
www.starquesteducation.com
Hello,
After researching and considering many factors, I've narrowed it down to either Belize or the Dominican Republic as the country I want to immigrate to within the next 12-18 months. For the past 15 years, I have been a full-time teacher of middle and high school science, math, and computer courses (Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Dreamweaver, Flash & Photoshop) here in the U.S. Recently, I've scaled back my classroom instruction to only part-time hours while developing my own after school tutoring and academic enrichment service. I prefer the flexibility and targeted instruction of a supplemental education provider (SEP) over spending all day in the classroom. Consequentially, I've decided to focus on developing a SEP business that would generate a modest income while offering 4th-12th grade students and their parents the following services:
  • specialized after school and weekend tutoring (reading, math & science)
  • PSAT/SAT preparation courses
  • Robotics classes
  • computer graphics, animation & web design
  • Internet radio/tv broadcasting training
In a best case scenario, I'd either lease a building or office space (or rent space within a school, community center or church facility) located in a secure area that has high speed internet access, and is easily accessible to the families that I would be serving,

Another possibility would be to contract my services to schools (public or private) as a vendor.

• What is the viability of an enterprise as I'm proposing in the DR?
  • What are its limitations and/or liabilities?
  • Are there funding sources (government or private) that subsidize families who can't afford to pay vendors for tutoring services?
Any tips, advice, or constructive criticism is most appreciated.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I am also a teacher, and have worked in the DR in the the field of education, so I am reading this seriously and giving you serious feedback.

I think it is an interesting idea, but have to wonder if you speak Spanish--it is essential to doing any business here.

You will also need to make connections with private schools and their general communities to see if this is something they want or can promote.

Kids here who are smart can get a fine education in math and science at PUCMM.

I have discovered that kids who are really computer savvy teach themselves web design, although the overuse of Flash is evident, there is no denying that the savvy kids are are doing it anyway. The internet age has made everyone a designer.

Your SAT/PSAT idea is interesting but what would make your course better than any of the prep books?

I like your idea but wonder how it fits in the DR.

Robotics: now that might make a series of wealthy parents pay money. Are you planning on entering competitions? Have you checked with the "A-list" schools and do they offer this already?

Charles Lowman

Mar 14, 2010
www.starquesteducation.com
Thank you so much Mainegirl for your wonderful feedback. You've raised some relevant points. I agree that a feasibility study is needed. Networking with people on boards such as this is only part of the process. I'm blessed to receive feedback from a fellow educator who has actually worked in the DR----as such, I certainly appreciate your perspective.
- I'm currently taking Spanish language courses.
- Yes, one of the objectives of the robotics program would be to enter competitions.
- Thanks to the No Child Left Behind Act, every state across the US has mandated standardized skills assessment exams for students. There are SEP firms (some are even franchised, i.e. Sylvan,Huntington,Mathnessia,Kumon) that offer tutoring and test prep services for these exams as well as SAT/ACT despite the fact these families can pick up a Barrons or Princeton test prep manual at any major bookstore. Is the typical DR student who has aspirations for college more resourceful, independent and self-motivated than their peers in the US? After 15 years of teaching here in the US, I'd have to admit that It's quite possible!

You wrote:
<Kids here who are smart can get a fine education in math and science at PUCMM.>

My "niche" has always been the under-performing & under-served. For any number of reasons there exists a group of kids who lack skills that would otherwise showcase their innate genius and capacity to learn & succeed. For the "smart kids" there is academic enrichment. I don't believe in limiting a child's exposure to academic knowledge by traditional grade level standards. My concept has always been to "pour as much water on the sponge as it can absorb."

Thanks again for your feedback. I will heed your advice and start making contact with area schools.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Do searches here for the private schools, you'll generate a quick list.

As for aspirations and sponges, good luck--if you are not familiar with the culture, it really won't matter what you think--that is the bottom line here. You will have to promote a very tidy, slick product to a certain segment of the population that will undoubtedly already have access to a lot of resources, so the only thing you can do to differentiate is in your creative presentation and right brained approach. You will have to have diplomas, a nice suit, etc. Dominican culture is/can be hard to crack the code.

Why not teach in a private school here? Cap Cana Heritage is looking all the time. I know of a private school in Cabrera that would gobble you up but--cannot pay you your wage.

As for underprivileged or underserved, you will not find the pay to finance your idea.

Why DR? Let's look at Belize...compare the two.....is the instruction in Belize in English? Lack of Spanish will kill you in the field you propose.

May 29, 2006
You would do better with a web design business in the DR rather than teaching. It is a service economy and there are constant turnovers as well as many business that do not have even a basic website. I can't see how any hotel manages without a website yet many are limping along like it's 1990. The one place I saw doing websites had a start price of $1000 to do a basic page, but I think you would do better with a low start-up and then a monthly service fee.

It might be interesting if you could do weekend workshops for the tourist/ex-pat market. Some hotels run Spanish workshops and an intro on how to do a web-page might work(esp with air conditioning.)