Sponsoring dependent children - PR in Canada

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
my husband has a daughter in the DR - we were wondering - is he able to sponsor her to come here when he's still under my sponsorship- or does he have to wait three years until sponsorship has ended for him before he can sponsor his daughter - the website doesn't really say - just says a permanent resident can sponsor.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Kacy,

When you sent in the application for your husband did you list his daughter as a dependent?

If you did, you can go ahead and apply for her to come.

If she wasn't listed on the original application you might have to jump through some more hoops like dna testing etc.

I know there are a few members who have done this and their spouses do not yet have Canadian citizenship.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bronxboy

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
yes - we made sure to include her - and just listed her as not accompanying right away - the application says permanent residents can sponsor - but doesn't say if they can sponsor if they are still being sponsored themselves - I"m thinking they're ok with it or it would very clearly state you couldn't somewhere. We're thinking of doing this next year - when she's a bit older - she'll be 12 this year - so she still sticks pretty close to her mom. but my husband just wondered about that.

he was also wondering - if she's given permanent residence in canada can she spend her summers in DR with her mother - I think this is fine as long as majority of the year is spent in Canada.

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
you can

Hi Kacy

Sangria is right. My husband while under my sponsorship for him applied for his daughter. I did NOT go on the application. We applied in 2008 and she arrived almost one year ago.

You will have to have the mother sign over custody to your husband and state that she has no objection to her child going to Canada to live as a permanent resident. We had the letter witnessed by a lawyer in the DR. It was then sent to us in Canada and I had it translated into English.

If you need more assistance feel free to PM me.

Sandy

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Awesome info Sandy - thanks so much - my husband is going there now - they're going to talk about it while he's there - we want to wait a couple of years until she's a bit older - right now she's ok for about a week without seeing her mom - we don't want to make her life miserable but think we should do it before she's legal age. but neither I nor my husband will do it unless her mother is ok with it - she's a great mother and has a good job - she is more than capable of looking after her daughter. we just thought it would be nice for his daughter to have options.

deecat3

Apr 1, 2006
I heard that the person sponsoring their spouse in Canada (generally 3 years), is also responsible for 10 years of sponsorship of the spouse's dependent children.....which means..... if the spouse leaves once the children arrive, the sponsor is financially responsible for the spouse and the children he/she brought here while under your sponsorship !!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I heard that the person sponsoring their spouse in Canada (generally 3 years), is also responsible for 10 years of sponsorship of the spouse's dependent children.....which means..... if the spouse leaves once the children arrive, the sponsor is financially responsible for the spouse and the children he/she brought here while under your sponsorship !!!!

Thank you but it's no big secret. It's right in the Application of sponsorship and undertaking , section ( G ) UNDERTAKING page 4 which the sponsor signs.;)

deecat3

Apr 1, 2006
I agree it is no big secret, but it is amazing how many people don't realize it !
Many people think that because the sponsored person is applying for his/her children that they are ultimately not responsible. (I have spoken to alot of people who think that is the case)

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Actually that would only be the case if the sponsor co-signs - becomes part of the undertaking, which many a time is needed in order to meet the financial aspect. What I'd suggest, is get the application done sooner rather than later. As there is still uncertainty about the fate of DR applications at the moment (the Santo Domingo office isn't a permanent solution yet, officially anyways), as the applications can take a long time to process, you're best off doing it asap. Your husband's daughter can go back and spend time with her mother if need be in the meantime till she is ready to come to Canada, but she won't lose her residency, and this way you won't have to wait very long once you do decide. Just a thought. Who knows - they might change the rules in a couple of years.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion El Uruguayo - that's helpful - its sometimes tough deciding between what's best for their future or what harm you'll do by moving a child so far away - a very delicate situation - so good to know she could go back. We have been thinking about it more with the earthquake situation.

Thanks for the info deecat3 - but we are aware of the sponsorship requirement for 10 years as well if a co-sign is needed.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
ok so we're trying to finalize this dependent child application and i have some questions from those that that have sponsored dependent children - not at the same time as sponsoring the spouse
1. I was told to use the family class - spouses, dependent children application and just not fill out the forms that don't apply - but I'm confused about a couple forms - do you fill out Schedule background/declaration - most of it is info after age 18 -which my step daughter is not? i skipped it but am not sure as she now is the principal applicant and it says to include for principal applicants
2. do you need the additional family information form? it says for spouse or family members over 18? again she's not over 18 but she is the sponsored person?
3. can my husband sign for her - she's under 18 so I'm not sure how she signs documents like the sponsorship agreement? she wouldn't even fully understand - so is it ok if he signs on her behalf? Same with the use of representatives form - i would like myself appointed - but not sure how she can sign when she's under 18?

any tips?

thanks!

Gr?goria

Feb 1, 2009
Hi Kacy,

Is it for Canada?
Did the child was IN the application of your husband? (but saying that the child would come later)
And your husband, does he have his visa or he still waiting?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Hi Kacy!

I'm going to email a friend that just finished the process of bringing his daughter to Canada a few months ago. I will ask how they went about filling out the forms and post their answers tomorrow.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Hi Gregoria - yes my husband's daughter was included - but we noted not accompanying at this time; yes my husband has been in Canada for almost a year now and yes - its for Canada - sorry - I was so brief - panicking at having to maneuver these forms again so soon!

Thanks Sangria!

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
Kacy;

Hopefully Sangria has been able to help you, but if not here goes..

1. You do not need the background declaration form.

2. We filled out the additional family information. We put the mothers name down and her father (there was no siblings).

3. Your husband can sign all the documents.

4. I filled out the form for the use of a representative for me to be able to speak with immigration.

Again, if you need anything else let me know. We were successful with our application and our daughter has been here now for 1.5 years. As long as you have all the documents filled out and permission from the childs parent (signed and notarized) to enter Canada the process is fast. It took 8 months.

Also after the visa was issued we needed to get another document from the Dominican Consulate and have it notarized to produce it to the immigration officials at the airport prior to departure.

Good luck
Sandy

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Thank you so much Sandy - i can finally put this in the mail - it looks like we did ours the same way and the lawyer did mention the second document. thanks for your help!!!!
We're very grateful!
Kacy