Any place to get a smoothie in Sosua?

Cassis Belly

Mar 18, 2010
Will be staying at the Sosua Bay Resort in a few weeks, and I was wondering are there any places in town that sell smoothies? Not a beer drinker, so a cold smoothie on a hot day is heaven for me. Thanks for any and all assistance.:)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Go to Cafe Cubano and order a batida.

(Head away from the beach on Pedro Clisante, 1/4 mile on your right, just past Britannia Pub)

Reactions: mike l

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Go to Cafe Cubano and order a batida.

(Head away from the beach on Pedro Clisante, 1/4 mile on your right, just past Britannia Pub)

When you order a batida it will usually be made with water, fruit, ice and sugar. If you want milk instead of water and/or diet sweetner instead of sugar, tell the person making the batida. If you like batidas and prefer diet sugar, best to carry a couple of packets with you in case place where ordering batida doesn't have it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
When you order a batida it will usually be made with water, fruit, ice and sugar. If you want milk instead of water and/or diet sweetner instead of sugar, tell the person making the batida. If you like batidas and prefer diet sugar, best to carry a couple of packets with you in case place where ordering batida doesn't have it.

Actually, any batida I have ever had is served with milk, not water. Aunt Clara uses milk, but thanks for the tip Ken!

Batida de lechoza (Papaya milkshake) - Dominican Cooking

Reactions: Bronxboy

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Very true - in SD you have to ask for a batida con leche if you want milk - otherwise it's a fruit smoothie, good too. My favorite is a batida di lechosa con leche, my husband has them add some chinola [passion fruit] to his lechosa and that's very good together.

Now my mouth is watering....yum

AE

Reactions: Tamborista
May 29, 2006
They normally use canned condensed milk. I'm partial to the Papaya shakes(batida de lechosa) esp for breakfast after a night of over indulging. It's loaded with electrolytes, vitamins and of course, sugar. There are a couple other juice stands in Sosua that have them and also over in Los Charimicos on the other side of the beach. The Cuban cafe is a nice place for coffee and people watching.

Another great place for healthy drinks is on the beach in Cabarete. They can get a bit pricey there but there are a lot more options.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Jungle Juice used to make good batidas to the left of Tom's (Skandi. Bar) on the beach, but that was a while ago.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think batidas are made with milk and licuados with water - but it's best to say con/sin leche just to be absolutely sure.

Reactions: Tamborista

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think batidas are made with milk and licuados with water - but it's best to say con/sin leche just to be absolutely sure.
I've never seen "licuados" listed, only "batidas" and have gotten batidas made with water until I started telling waiter, or whoever I was giving order to, that I wanted milk.

I've never gotten condensed milk, it has always been milk mixed from powder. But I suppose some places may use condensed milk.

May 29, 2006
Must be regional since every time I had one around Sosua they used the canned milk. Maybe it's just with papaya/banana ?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've never seen "licuados" listed, only "batidas" and have gotten batidas made with water until I started telling waiter, or whoever I was giving order to, that I wanted milk.
Yes, you're right - in the DR batidas is used to mean both milk and non-milk smoothies/shakes. I was confusing it with another country (Venezuela), where as well as that distinction you also have merenguadas made with ice-cream.

May 29, 2006
I brought an orange juicer with me on my last trip. Oranges are only a couple pesos each in the market. Takes about 12 to make a good sized glass of juice.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I have only ever had it made with evaporated milk (and ice/sugar)...batida de lechosa that is! It must be incredibly sweet with condensed milk. I use Splenda myself when making batidas and its way more palatable.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Ordering batidos "sin leche" cuts down the fat/calories in them. Since fruit is water based they taste great when made with water although not as "creamy"...a banana tossed in the blender with the lechosa will "stiffin it up"....

If you want really sweet use coconut milk (not coconut water) the milk squeezed from the meat..mix it with pineapple and NO RUM....pina-coloda batido!

Try pineapple/banana, lechosa, mango....all great!

Cassis Belly

Mar 18, 2010
Thanks everyone. I will definitely try Cafe Cubano, as I've read that they also sell delicious postres. Just curious (assuming I went to Bailey's restaurant) why I would ask for Jugo de fruita (which I am assuming loosely translates to fruit juice) rather than a batida? or are both interchangeably used.

Cassis Belly

Mar 18, 2010
I understand jugo is juice, and batida is a smoothie, but someone posted that I should ask for jugo de fruita if I went to Bailey's.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If you want a frest fruit juice, ask for jugo natural. Half or no sugar is fine with me. Premade juice is often overloaded with sugar.

Batida is a milkshake without ice cream. Milk (sometime evaporated), choice of fruit, ice, sometimes cinnaman or nutmeg depending on the fruit. Blended up an good.

At home I use soy milk and maple syrup. Banana, lechosa, zapote and melon are my favorites. Granadillo and pina is also a good combination. I also use blueberries, apples and ginger at home.

Try a morir sonando or tamarindo for something different.