R/T STI or SDQ to ATL $244 on Spirit

negro americano

Feb 29, 2008
I'm a pretty staunch Delta guy, because it's good service, and everything is virtually a straight shot from Atlanta. But i was able to get round trip STI to ATL tickets with a FLL connection for only $244.80 total on Spirit last night. Spirit is a bit borderline/sketchy from all i've heard, and i'm sure you get what you pay for to some degree. But i'd take that deal anyday of the week as long as they get me to and fro in one piece. The arrival and departure times are the catches though(really late arrival and really early departure). But hey, all in all, it's a pretty good deal for me, as I stand to save about $300 bucks per roundtrip. The spirit website just advertises a bunch of garbage prices about their $9 fare member club or whatever it is. I didn't see anything alluding to the fare that i got. I just plugged in my dates and all to do a test run to see how much the final costs would be, and voila, $244 it was. I assume it's just a day or so deal for people who stumble upon it. But i got tickets all the way through September for the same price.

Reactions: RacerX

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Hold up though captain caveman. Did you read the arrival time? You ll arrive at STI at 3 in the morning. Can you deal with that? Also, you do know you ll spend like 7 hours at FLL? That Spirit for you. I saw that cheap fare from NYC(LGA) a while ago and then when you look at the details thats how they do. They got that cheap fare because they inconvenience you all the while. Can you hang out in the airport all day eating $12 Big Macs and 2 oz. of complimentary peanuts. Thats why I always stick with Delta, one straight shot, weather permitting.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Ohand the fare day club jazz is only for domestic fares to places you wouldnt really want to go anyway. ATL to Wichita, Kansas. PHL to Boise, NYC to Louisville, Ky. Honolulu to Sacramento, Ca. The dont include international flights NOR airline taxes. And you have to pay an subscription fee in order to get the magic rates.

negro americano

Feb 29, 2008
Yea I mentioned in the original post that the catch was the arrival and departure times. Not ideal, but however if one can deal with those, i think it's a good deal. I couldn't on the otherhand, deal with excessive layovers. I'd pay the extra cash anyday for a direct on my preferred Delta, rather than deal with 8/10/12 hour layovers. That stuff ain't for me. On certain days, the layovers are of the 12 hour variety. I saw those and politely passed. The flights i purchased are 7 and 8 hours start to finish, including connecting times. Not so bad. But anyways, we'll see how it goes.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Ohand the fare day club jazz is only for domestic fares to places you wouldnt really want to go anyway. ATL to Wichita, Kansas. PHL to Boise, NYC to Louisville, Ky. Honolulu to Sacramento, Ca. The dont include international flights NOR airline taxes. And you have to pay an subscription fee in order to get the magic rates.

Since Spirit serves none of those places with the exception of LGA and ATL, you have no idea what you are talking about. The majority of Spirit's flights are international, and an enormous chunk of their business is service to Latin America and the Caribbean. I have no problem getting $9 fare to STI or SDQ which comes out to about $160 with tax. On those trips when I check a bag, it's $19 each way.

Landing at STI at 2am is a non-issue. JetBlue has flights coming and going from JFK at 1am, 5am, so the place is hopping even at night. Service is basic but adequate.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
One thing the OP should know is that if there is a layover of over 4 hours, and you are bringing checked baggage, you will be charge the bag fee on a per segment basis. If your layover is less than 4 hours, you only pay a single bag fee to check the bag to your destination.

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
Well I have been using Spirit Air from DTW Detroit to SDQ Santo Domingo for the last 4 yrs and I can deal with the 4 hour layover in Fort Lauderdale no problema! Being a canadian me and my hubby both fly for less than the price of one air fare out of Toronto. I can deal with the few inconviences flying with a NO frills air line. More money for us to spend in the DR :) Just got home last night from another GREAT 3 weeks in the DR !;)

nodramanostress

Jan 29, 2010
I think its a good deal but see if all the checked bag fees add up to the amount you are suppose to be saving...I fly to atl to fort lauderdale all the time for $69 roundtrip all the time

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I think its a good deal but see if all the checked bag fees add up to the amount you are suppose to be saving...I fly to atl to fort lauderdale all the time for $69 roundtrip all the time

What airline do you fly Atl to Fort Lauderdale for $69 roundtrip?

negro americano

Feb 29, 2008
I think the key to the whole thing is to be just about as no frills as the airline itself. If one needs the bells and whistles, then obviously it's probaly best to go another route. After booking the actual flight itself, you could easily add another $150 or more onto the fare by choosing specific seats, checking bags, and all that other stuff. Then it wouldn't be worth it for me, as that would push the fare into a higher class league than Spirit.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Since Spirit serves none of those places with the exception of LGA and ATL, you have no idea what you are talking about. The majority of Spirit's flights are international, and an enormous chunk of their business is service to Latin America and the Caribbean. I have no problem getting $9 fare to STI or SDQ which comes out to about $160 with tax. On those trips when I check a bag, it's $19 each way.

Landing at STI at 2am is a non-issue. JetBlue has flights coming and going from JFK at 1am, 5am, so the place is hopping even at night. Service is basic but adequate.

Well there is NOOOOOOOOOO $9 FARE TO SDQ FROM anywhere in the USA. LETS BE CLEAR HERE there are no $9 international fares, unless you re going to Ottawa. And you only get access to the cheap fares after joining some high mileage cult that goes to places No one could care less about going(if they have service there or not).
The round trip from New York $302 from LGA to STI, but my social life tells me I dont want to arrive at 3 in the morning, I dont want to spend 7 hours in FLL. For the extra 80 bucks I can take a Delta direct first thing in the morning and get there before noon(and if you book Delta with ATI Flights you get an extra 10% off-no cult subscription needed). What you know about that?