Dominican General's Nest Egg

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Ok so we all know that officers have declared their wealth and in a separate thread i asked how much does the PN head get paid.

The link below has a quick overview, but I really think that these guys should run investment seminars, bc with the salaries they make there is not way in hell they could have what they claim.

http://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2010/3/19/35152/Dominican-generals-own-up-to-tidy-nest-eggs

But then again we would all be "disrespectful" for even asking right. Thats what Pared Perez, the head of the Senate no less told a reporter when asked about stopping the Barrilito. Some "leadership" the DR enjoys, please.

This is typical Dominican BS. Especially from the Upper Class, feigning education, values, morals blah, blah. But when push comes to shove, you are offending their honor. STFU man, i was born in DR and raised in one of those families and i think its all a big pile of horse maneur. Give me a break dude.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
I do but its a ardous, painful and even dangerous proposition. There are plenty of young Dominicans both there and in the US that are just at wits end. I mean this gets me indignant.

The 'best' are the cara dura "leaders" acting serious, i mean who are they kidding. Thing is when im in DR with friends of the family or who ever i have to "watch it" lest i "offend" anyone with my foreign views. Foreign as in calling a spade a spade, HA! What clowns these people are. There is a political movement which i very fond of its called Toy Jarto, im friends with a couple of guys in there and they are good, smart Dominicans.

I'll be travellig more often on business, to the DR, but its a process to build a name down there and 'put your foot down' sort of speak. Im too busy working long hours at a bank and finishing my MBA, but I'll be down there soon enough. Im just sick of all the BS and hypocrisy, its really annoying.

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Sad Thing

The worst part of all is that so many of the educated, the "well to do", the people from "good" families only aspire to reach positions in government or business were they can also steal and thrive from corruption. The truth is that my country is rotten to the core, up and down the socio-economic spectrum. Their needs to be a purification of the corrupt. The DR needs it's own Pinochet, to do for DR what he did for Chile. (yes, I know many thing people suffered and such, but I guarantee it would be better than where we are right now and definitely better than where we are headed). This country has all the natural resources necessary for prosperity to be more evenly spread. If the resources and the country were run with even just at 20% less corruption the people, the one's who government is supposed to serve, would be better off as a whole.
Alas, I myself am guilty of the biggest problem facing the DR, even worse than corruption, is that we Dominicans love to scream from the top of our lungs and point out, "Corruption, Scandal, Thieves!!!" yet do nothing but rant and rave, throwing our arms up in the air, and then, after our breath is exhausted say, "that is the way its always been, what can I do about it". To be fair, where and how does one start? Certainly not the election poles. Is it taking to the streets? Forming another party? Is it revolution? Try to beat the system or join and change from the inside? This country's entire history has been about corruption, from the first moment Cristobal landed here. It is why Latin America is the way it is. Some countries have succeeded in breaking those bonds of colonial genes of corruption and other are getting there slowly. I pray some day we can do it as well and plan to somehow help make it happen.

Reactions: woofsback
Mar 1, 2009
Sadly unless another strong man like Mon Caceres or Trujillo comes in, no one will be able to harness the potential of the Dominican people. A strong man who can reign in los tigueres de barrios and los tigueres empresariales. However one hopefully minus the bad traits.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I think this was the best response from that D. Today?s article declaring the wealth of these officers.

so lionel wanted to detect unexplainable wealth....

ok...so here it is...now what?

nothing! thats what.
:surprised, no!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Principe

You sound like a real patriot, something this country has been missing for a long time.

I think change can happen here but it will really take some dedicated people who love their life more than their country.

I also believe with enough money and access to various news outlet sources facts can be constantly published comparing to how the Dominican government spends it's wealth opposed to other more developed countries. If it is constantly being reinforced that with a restructuring of politicians wages that the quality of life of ALL on this island would benefit -such as from security, education and health.

I would also like the Catholic church to provide some leadership.

People here just need to learn that they don't have to accept the status quo and that yes su voz cuenta.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I have a full coronal living close he wants to know what the generals investments are. He feels like he is missing out, he makes about 27,000rd a month, and has 26 years in.

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
Sadly unless another strong man like Mon Caceres or Trujillo comes in, no one will be able to harness the potential of the Dominican people. A strong man who can reign in los tigueres de barrios and los tigueres empresariales. However one hopefully minus the bad traits.

are you serious?
trujillo was the one who refined the existing system in the first place, and designed it to benefit mostly him instead of a range of caudillos. balaguer than had to adapt it, and let more people profit, because the concept of one 'strong man' had become outdated. the problem is not democracy but rather that 'democratization' was used only as a facade to keep the status quo in place. why do you think balaguer has been called the heir of the tyrant?
now maybe if juan bosch hadn't been ousted, things might have changed because he at least tried to make a fresh start.
besides, there is no strong man without the bad traits. a strong man becomes a strong man because of the bad traits.