2 Days in Santo Domingo - Help me do this!

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
We're going to be in Santo Domingo for 2 days. We get there around lunch time and leave around lunch time, two days later. We're staying in the business district, on Avenue Abraham Lincoln. I really want to do the following, which I found mentioned on DR1:

Eat at Barra Payan
Eat at Don Nesto
Visit the Colonial Zone
Visit the Botanical Gardens
Shop somewhere nice for Dominican products (guayabera) Naco?
*Free time for just looking around*

Any suggestions on how we should group these, as far as location? I think Don Nesto is near our hotel, but I have no idea where Barra Payan is for example. Gracias!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
FYI: I ate at Don Nestor on Friday night, excellent!

If you like meat, you will love Don Nestor!

You can walk around and visit this:Alcazar a colon
Statue of Columbus.
In 1509 Diego were appointed as vice-roy of the colony Santo Domingo.
More than 1500 Indian slaves worked on his homes buildings.
It is a mix of Gothic and Renaissance style. At construction no nail has been used, even not in the 72 wooden doors. Renovated in 1955.
It now accommodates a permanent exhibition of an old Spanish pieces of furniture, paintings, pictures, wall pictures, moquettes and every day objects.
The location has two levels with in total 22 sections. (kitchen, private rooms, sleeping rooms, music rooms)

Panteon Nacional
What is today the Panteon Nacional or National Mausoleum, was the last building constructed by the Spaniards in Santo Domingo. Built between 1714 and 1748, it originally served as a church consisting of a central nave and two lateral chapels.

Here the Jesuit Fathers gave mass with their backs turned to the congregation. They turned their backs to the congregation so that Jesus Christ would be in front of them and in this way all would face Jesus. The organ was in the back and the chorus sang from the balconies above

Museo de los Casas Reales
Built in the 16th century, the Royal Household Museum houses both the Palace of the Governor General and the Palace of Royal Audiences. The former, in the northeast part of the building, is a sober design embellished with gothic Isabeline decorations. The latter, in the southeast section, has a series of arches in white porcelain brick on the ground floor, and low-arched windows of gothic style on the upper level. Since 1976 the entire complex has been a museum, housing pieces from the island...

Parque a colon
Other name for the square is Plaza Maria de Toledo and was once the town center.
On this square is the bronze statue of Christopher Columbus.
At the feet of Columbus Anacaona.
On this square is the Catedral de Santa Maria la Menor, where for centuries the remains of Columbus are kept have remained.

Iglesia Santa Maria la Menor
The oldest cathedral in the Americas was begun in 1514 and completed in 1540. Fronted with a golden-tinted coral limestone facade, the church combines elements of both Gothic and baroque with some lavish plateresque styles as exemplified by the high altar chiseled out of silver. The treasury has an excellent art collection of ancient woodcarvings, furnishings, funerary monuments, silver, and jewelry.

Altar de la Patria
Built in 1976 and located at the center of the Parque Independencia , this white-marble mausoleum is where some heroes of the Dominican Republic are interred. Here the leaders of the 1844 Independence movement from Haiti are buried, including Juan Pablo Duarte , Francisco del Rosario S?nchez and Ram?n Mat?as Mella. An "eternal flame" is kept lit in memory of the patriots and floral offerings are common during commemorative dates. February 27th is when Independence from Haiti is celebrated.

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
I pulled up a map, Robert. Looks like there's lots of shopping nearby, as well as the Botanical Gardens. Good deal! I'm excited to try Don Nesto! :)

Dre Broeders, You're fantastic! That is an excellent guide. Thank you! I'm going to print it out to take with me.
Pate Palo sounds wonderful! I'm going to have to fly back to the states in the cargo hold, if I eat everything I plan. ;D