Why Would A Dominican Hate U.S. People?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
When I was in the D.R. I met a fellow who told me he was sitting in an open air restaurant on Cabarette Beach and a man selling newspapers walked up to him and said: "Are you from Canada or France?" The person replied: "No, I am from the U.S." The person selling newspapers then replied: "I only have the Miami Herald"... and walked away. As he was walking away he made a sign with his hand like he was shooting a handgun and while doing that he said: "AMERICANO IS NO MI AMIGO" and then he walked away.

After I heard this story I wondered what could cause him to hate Americans?

Perhaps the Dominican man who was selling these newspapers blames the U.S. Government for the financial collapse which may have affected his earnings selling newspapers to tourists or other earnings to tourists??? But if this is so, it is not fair that he should take it out on this American gringo tourist who may also hate what the U.S. government has done to his country and the rest of the world....

Any thoughts about why this Dominican man would hate Americans and take out his frustrations on an American tourist when that tourist has nothing to do with hurting any Dominican and never met this man selling newspapers before that particular uncomfortable moment in D.R. tourist history?

Bob :glasses:

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Look at the source

When I was in the D.R. I met a fellow who told me he was sitting in an open air restaurant on Cabarette Beach and a man selling newspapers walked up to him and said: "Are you from Canada or France?" The person replied: "No, I am from the U.S." The person selling newspapers then replied: "I only have the Miami Herald"... and walked away. As he was walking away he made a sign with his hand like he was shooting a handgun and while doing that he said: "AMERICANO IS NO MI AMIGO" and then he walked away.

After I heard this story I wondered what could cause him to hate Americans?

Perhaps the Dominican man who was selling these newspapers blames the U.S. Government for the financial collapse which may have affected his earnings selling newspapers to tourists or other earnings to tourists??? But if this is so, it is not fair that he should take it out on this American gringo tourist who may also hate what the U.S. government has done to his country and the rest of the world....

Any thoughts about why this Dominican man would hate Americans and take out his frustrations on an American tourist when that tourist has nothing to do with hurting any Dominican and never met this man selling newspapers before that particular uncomfortable moment in D.R. tourist history?

Bob :glasses:
You have to look at the source.....the guy is selling newspapers, how stable do you think he really is? My first guess would be because you didn't buy a paper. He was probably pi**ed off. Some of the Dominican people forget that tourism is a huge factor in the economy, and supports many in the tourists and beach towns, but I would guess out of all the different countries, the US is not a favorite.
I had a Haitian that worked in the hotel industry tell me he hated me because I was American...I asked why, and he replied because I voted for Bush! I said, wait a minute, I didn't vote for Bush, and neither did alot of other Americans. Seems that they don't like the US or Bush because he put so much anti drug monies and forces in and on the island. The US customs people have a unique radar site south of POP for drug intervention. This hurts the people and government drastically. Remember a country that has little to begin with, declining tourists, next to no exports....they NEED the dirty $$$ to survive. It's a big part of many islands economical stability, without it they would have less than they have now.
I have also seen this "attitude" in several other islands, some you would be surprised with. Americans money is more than welcome, but that's about it.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Dunno, why don't you ask the same question to an Afgan or an Iraqi?

Maybe it's because the Dominican actually reads the newspapers he's selling! (Although I doubt it!)

Maybe he's realised what a mess George Dubya and his rich greedy friends have made of the western world.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Some Dominicans have a feeling against Americans specially people of age over 50. I have two friends who came to live in the US many years ago on green card and they changed their minds here both of them became American citizen, this is funny I remember both my coworker and my brother in low always were reading a communist newspaper (PLD newspaper) and talking to everybody against the American government.

Yes PLD the government's political party; 20 years ago they used to fallow the red line (communist) and now the changed their minds too...

JJ

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
You probably stole his girlfriend or the next group of women whom he wanted to date with your rampant use of $10 bills and "order anything you want from the menu" mentality. You rich aristocat! Hahahaaha!
Seriously, who knows, but I like my story. He may not have gotten laid in 6 years because all the women he comes across(in the tourist town) want the American guy with his fat juicy pockets and Island Girl ideals to satiate their mountain of endlessly selfish problems.

Reactions: Bronxboy

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hmmm...why do some Americans hate Dominicans, Mexicans, etc...Why do some Europeans hate Africans, Turks, you name it...Why do some Dominicans hate Americans? Who the heck knows? Everyone has their reason. Most of the time is ignorance about the other's culture and sometimes is just one person from the hated culture has done something to the other and they would use that to paint everyone from that country/culture with the same brush.

The important question is Does the majority of Dominicans hate The US or Americans in general and the answer to that is of course NO.

Reactions: Keith R
E

engineerfg

I've been to 30+ countries in the past 10 years. Lowest common denominator across all of them - Joe 6-Pack either hates, distrusts, or generally doesn't like Americans as much as Europeans, Canadians, or Brits.

The reasons are usually:
==================
1. Jealousy - they perceive all Americans to be 'rich', and therefor want to take advantage of them, and when they can't they get jealous and hate them.

2. Uncultured - they perceive all Americans to be 'money focused' and uncultured ie. tipping left right and center, flashing their cash, which drives jealousy and further hatred.

3. Loud/Pushy - they perceive Americans to be pushy or rude - especially in Europe. A distinct difference to European culture where everyone waits in line, and just takes it up the ass when they're getting screwed by government/police/authority - whereas Americans stand up for themselves - and this confidence is seen as being 'cowboy' and 'pushy' and 'loud'.

4. Geo-Politics - It's true, Apple employees are typecast by the actions of Steve Jobs. People that work at Microsoft, well everyone thinks they're Bill Gates' minions (even though he's retired), so it's true that if you're American, people think you instantly support George Bush and the hegemony. I found this point especially funny when an American I met was visiting New Zealand, and a Kiwi store owner starts complaining about how the American government's policy on fishing a certain breed of fish is hurting his sales, American kid's like - "uhm.. dude, I'm just here to get high and party, I have no idea about any of this stuff' -- just because you're American doesn't mean you instantly support <fill in policy>, but people outside America don't understand that.

TV/MTV/CNN - Hollywood and MTV etc's global influence doesn't really help dispel all the myths above, as they project a homogeneous image of what 'all' Americans are, ie. that they 'pimp their rides', and love to show off their 'cribs' and they love to 'make their money rain' in the clubs. Unfortunately you don't really see the 'other side' of America, that lots of people are poor, or volunteer, or don't automatically support Israel, or frankly don't give a **** about global politics and just want to be happy and left alone to enjoy themselves.

Reactions: Conchman
Apr 3, 2009
So Far From God...

What was the expression coined by Porfirio D?az, the Mexican dicator... "?Pobre M?xico! ?Tan lejos de Dios y tan cerca de los Estados Unidos!" (Poor Mexico, so far from God and so close to the United States!)

Why blame yourself and your countrymen, when it's so much easier to blame someone else.

-BB :bunny:

Mar 1, 2009
Maybe because the big bully to the north invaded the Dominican Republic, uhmmm let's see TWICE!!!! Woodrow Wilson and LBJ both authorized troop deployments to Hispaniola. Both, illegal actions condemned by the international community. Flagrant violations of international law in the usurpation and occupation of an internationally recognized sovereign state. Both actions we're resisted by the dominican people and many lost their lives doing so.

No country likes to be occupied and forced to accept a new system, have it's people's property apropriated, it's citizens abused, it's women raped with impunity, and protesters then massacred by this supposed force for good, draped in the red, white and blue.

Those same colors that elicit so much, happiness, pride and good feelings are seen by millions as the colors of the mighty empire that causes sadness, anxiety, fear and dread.

Sadly it's the truth.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I had a few bad experiences in Fajardo and Ponce....from my perspective the average boricua despises the gringo....and I am not talking about the tourist gringo...

Sad, but true!!!!!!

I am PR from parents origins and, when I visit PR, they say I am NOT Puerto Rican!!!!!

F?uk them!!!!!! It is not my fault my parents immigrated to the states. I am still PR regardless.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I can understand why...

I remember trying to explain the culture of racial division in the U.S. to Europeans while travelling there in the 70's. I remember being embarrassed by Americans singing "Deep in the Heart of Texas" in an Eiffel Tower restaraunt, completely disrupting everyone else's dining experience. I remember US ex-pat's in Mexico bragging about paying their loyal and hardworking employees peanuts and using the out of control inflation there in the 80's to give "raises" which ended up costing them fewer U$D.

I've got about 10,000 such memories as evidence of American arrogance until I almost hate us. Everywhere I travel I try to show the respect which my countrymen have withheld ever since it was a country. There are very few Americans whom I care to be around when I'm out of the US. I heard a guy ask (loudly and very impatiently) an airport worker at SDQ last week :"Why don't you speak English?". Aaaaargh!

Mar 1, 2009
Maybe the guy is upset that the US has invaded the DR, uhmm let's see TWICE! The Dominicans didn't take the invasion and occupation lightly, there we're savage fights between the occupiers and the occupied, usually with most of the casualties falling on the occupied side as even women and children we're mowed down. Bright shining stars on the Dominican landscape also fell as a result of the invasion and it's aftermath.

The US is seen as a bully and many although like the ideals, progress and promise that the US portrays, are nonethless dismayed and regard with fear our foreign policy.

Mar 1, 2009
Great, I thought my original post got deleted and I ended up posting uhmmmmm let's see. TWICE!!!!!!!! hahaha....Sorry I am not a maniac, well maybe a little coocoo...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Maybe the guy is upset that the US has invaded the DR, uhmm let's see TWICE! The Dominicans didn't take the invasion and occupation lightly, there we're savage fights between the occupiers and the occupied, usually with most of the casualties falling on the occupied side as even women and children we're mowed down. Bright shining stars on the Dominican landscape also fell as a result of the invasion and it's aftermath.

The US is seen as a bully and many although like the ideals, progress and promise that the US portrays, are nonethless dismayed and regard with fear our foreign policy.

Well if there is a next time, the US can just offer them a free ride to Nueva Yol on the nearest boat. That should make most of them happy and they won't fight, they will just jump on board.

HELLO FOLKS WE ARE NOT INVADING. WE ARE TRANSPORTING ANY CITIZEN THAT WANTS TO MOVE TO NEW YORK, FREE OF CHARGE, AND ABOLISHING THE NEED FOR A VISA. GREEN CARDS AVAILABLE WHEN DISEMBARKING.

Think they would have to fight their way in or stand aside to let the boat load.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Seems that they don't like the US or Bush because he put so much anti drug monies and forces in and on the island. The US customs people have a unique radar site south of POP for drug intervention. This hurts the people and government drastically. Remember a country that has little to begin with, declining tourists, next to no exports....they NEED the dirty $$$ to survive.

You are a certified nutcase.

It is apparent you don't have the opportunity to talk to Dominicans - none of which you said could be farther from the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.