Dominican credit card

miozio

May 23, 2009
I was wondering if its easy to get a credit card in DR without a job here?
Thanks

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You don't need a job but you do need to show the bank how you support yourself here.
I am retired but I have money sent into my bank account every month from the states
and seeing this the bank approved me right away, but a cedulla was necessary. Now, when Banco Popular looked up my Cedulla on their computer system in Santiago it showed nothing even though I'd had my Cedulla for 2 years. I had to go to the Capital and get a certified letter made out to the "attention of the bank", stating that my Cedulla was in order. Out of curiosity I went to the Bank in the capital and asked them to look up my Cedulla on their computer system. Low and behold, there it was photo and all, go figure.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We did not have a probelm but had to post a $2500CD at the bank (Santo Cruz) for one year to guanentee it. The CD has since been returned and in fact just recently my credit limit has been raised. We do have our Cedula and Residency.
The card has both Peso and Dollar limits.

Bob K

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I was wondering if its easy to get a credit card in DR without a job here?
Thanks

you can get a credit card from banco leon,with just a passport,and it will be a card where you deposit monies in and that is your balance...and it can be used as any other cc,ordering from internet,restaurants,dept. stores,etc...and you can have a out of country address for billing if you need that also..

bob

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
you can get a credit card from banco leon,with just a passport,and it will be a card where you deposit monies in and that is your balance...and it can be used as any other cc,ordering from internet,restaurants,dept. stores,etc...and you can have a out of country address for billing if you need that also..

bob

Isn't that a debit card rather than a credit card?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
That's a prepaid credit card whereas your limit depends on you. You have the convenience of a credit card without the bank having anything to lose.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
But the idea of a 'credit card' is that the provider gives you credit so you can spend money that you don't have yet and pay it back over a period of time. I'm not advocating spending money that you don't have yet! LOL
Anyway, to answer the original question, Banco Santa Cruz do a visa credit card with 2 lines of credit, one in pesos and the other in US$. If you have not banked with them for long or have no provable income then they may ask you to put some money into a CD They also have various credit limits.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Thank you everyone :) Actually, i've been an account holder in Santa Cruz for 5 months now and just thought it would be a good idea to have a cc linked to this bank as well :)

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Thank you everyone :) Actually, i've been an account holder in Santa Cruz for 5 months now and just thought it would be a good idea to have a cc linked to this bank as well :)

Talk to them. Like i said we got one from there. Yes we did have to guarantee it for a year with a CD (so money did earn intrest for us) and then after a year the CD was returned to us. This is a true visa credit card and not a debit card.

Bob K