Is Bonao part of El Cibao?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
is bonao a cibaeno province? i seen pictures of bonao and all the people are dark, so is it more part of el sur? and don't show me the stupid political map because they include non-cibaeno areas like the coasts and border towns

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bonao is considered by many to the the southern border of the Cibao.
Essentially, the Cibao runs from the Saman? Bay to Monte Cristi, between the Septentrional Mountains and the Central Mountains.

There is no political division known as the Cibao.

HB

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
Bonao is considered by many to the the southern border of the Cibao.
Essentially, the Cibao runs from the Saman? Bay to Monte Cristi, between the Septentrional Mountains and the Central Mountains.

There is no political division known as the Cibao.

HB

geographically el cibao is the northern half of the country but culturally it's most of the northern interior. the people in bonao seem to look like ppl from the coasts

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
When I worked in Sosua, I found it interesting some north of the northern mountain range called themselves Cibaenos.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Yes Bonao is in the Cibao, the people are generally Aguilas (Santiago) fans and identify w/ Santiago as the big city in their area, npot Santo Domingo. Physically they look very much like the people in La Vega, Santiago, Moca, Mao, etc.

Reactions: badpiece33
geographically el cibao is the northern half of the country but culturally it's most of the northern interior. the people in bonao seem to look like ppl from the coasts

Have you ever been to Bonao? You are very mistaken the people in Bonao are mostly medium to light complexioned people similar to the people of Lavega,Santiago and Moca. Yes, there are dark skinned people everywhere but not the majority in Bonao.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I remember 30 years ago when in Santo Domingo people deserved on my Cibaeno ascendancy, Santiageros, Veganos and Mocanos used to be light skinned but no anymore 50 years past Trujillo Dominican and Haitian mixing is changing our history.

JJ

Mar 1, 2009
Sammy Sosa's wife is from Bonao, and she is very lightskinned so is her sister. Most of the people from Bonao I have met here in Florida are lighter. BUT the Haitian's coming in bring in a darker hue so maybe they are Dominican's of Haitian descent mixing with the locals as said b4.

Ahi ta

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
I remember 30 years ago when in Santo Domingo people deserved on my Cibaeno ascendancy, Santiageros, Veganos and Mocanos used to be light skinned but no anymore 50 years past Trujillo Dominican and Haitian mixing is changing our history.

JJ

they need to be deported before they assimilate completely!

and sorry, i didnt know that about bonao. due to all of the haitians now alot of the urban areas of el cibao are full of dark people

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
is bonao a cibaeno province? i seen pictures of bonao and all the people are dark, so is it more part of el sur? and don't show me the stupid political map because they include non-cibaeno areas like the coasts and border towns

Yes, Bonao is part of El Cibao. Take a look:

Cibao - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

El Cibao is twice the seize of Puerto Rico, and just a bit smaller than Jamaica and Puerto Rico Combine.

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
Yes, Bonao is part of El Cibao. Take a look:

Cibao - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

El Cibao is twice the seize of Puerto Rico, and just a bit smaller than Jamaica and Puerto Rico Combine.

thats a political map, culturally el cibao is the northern interior and apparently bonao is a part of the true cibaeno culture. the true cibao is like the same size of puerto rico or a little smaller

basically

-santiago
-la vega
-moca or southern espaillat
-bonao (sopposely)
-san francisco de macoris or western duarte
-santiago rodriguez
-valverde

i'm not sure about cotui, rest of monsenor nouel or hermanas mirabal. i know the provinces right on the coasts are different

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
thats a political map, culturally el cibao is the northern interior and apparently bonao is a part of the true cibaeno culture. the true cibao is like the same size of puerto rico or a little smaller

basically

-santiago
-la vega
-moca or southern espaillat
-bonao (sopposely)
-san francisco de macoris or western duarte
-santiago rodriguez
-valverde

i'm not sure about cotui, rest of monsenor nouel or hermanas mirabal. i know the provinces right on the coasts are different

I'm guessing here that you never went to school in the DR!!! ???

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Sammy Sosa's wife is from Bonao, and she is very lightskinned so is her sister. Most of the people from Bonao I have met here in Florida are lighter. BUT the Haitian's coming in bring in a darker hue so maybe they are Dominican's of Haitian descent mixing with the locals as said b4.

Ahi ta

Dominicans will only get darker and sexier...Learn to love it...lol

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
they need to be deported before they assimilate completely!

and sorry, i didnt know that about bonao. due to all of the haitians now alot of the urban areas of el cibao are full of dark people
I wouldn't blame the Haitians for the darkening of the visible population in the Cibao, while they obviously do contribute, most dark skin people in Cibao towns tend to be either direct migrants or descendants of migrants from the southern provinces (Barahona, Azua, Bahoruco, etc). They are not Haitians, but full fledge Dominicans.

cibaenopuro said:
the northern coasts are not el cibao culturally and if im not mistaken they consider themselves to be lineros (from la linea)
The north coast is very much part of the Cibao. Puerto Plata (and to a lesser extent Sos?a) have been affected by massive immigration from both, Dominican sure?os and Haitians; but much of the rest of the north coast is still predominantly native peoples with Cibao culture well ingrained in them. Even judging by skin color, the people of towns like Gaspar Hern?ndez and Cabrera, on average, fall in the mid-brown to white range. Even in Puerto Plata itself, despite the sharp population changes due to immigration, there is quite a mix of people and the native Puerto Plata culture is still very much cibae?a.

My advice to you is to not judge the color/cultural characteristics by what you see in a photo. A photo is nothing more than a one-second-snap-shot of an extremely small geographic area with less than 1% the population of any given place being captured in the street life.

Another thing to consider is the following. The white population in the DR has been growing steadily. Right now the number of whites falls somewhere between 750,000 to 1 million. If we add the mulattoes whose appearances is clearly more European than African, those figures can easily rise to 1.5 million, maybe even closer to 2 million. Never in the history of the country (even in colonial times) has the white/light skin population been as high as it is right now.

Despite this, there is a trend of white/light skin people in the DR to become invincible; and for the dark population to become more visible. Personally, I think this is due more to lifestyle changes than anything else. The lifestyle of white/light skin people in the DR is markedly different from those of dark hues and Haitian immigrants.

On the one hand, light/white people are heavily concentrated in the upper-middle class and middle-middle class. The upper class is also overwhelmingly white/light, but the upper class is too small to account for all white/light skin people; which leads to me to believe most fall in the first two social classes.

In these classes air conditioning and access to a vehicle is widespread, if not universal. The DR being hot and tropical, anyone that can evade being in the heat and under the sun does evade it. When Dominicans have a choice between walking or riding, they will always opt for riding. When Dominicans have a choice between being in air conditioned comfort vs. in the heat, they will choose air conditioned comfort. For this reason you can't accurately judge the white/light skin population of many places in the DR by simply looking at the visible population in the streets. A photo of say Winston Churchill Ave in SD will show all the people walking, selling stuff, and waiting for public transport; most being lower middle class, working class or poor; and most being brown to black skin color. You will also see plenty of vehicles, many relatively new. Almost all vehicles have dark tinted windows, making it almost impossible to detected who is in any of them. Be sure that in many of the private vehicles, the people, on average, are much lighter than those who are walking or overflowing the carros p?blicos.

And this probably explains a peculiarity of the DR, which is seeing very little light/white people in the streets, but once you visit the places geared to the moneyed classes (shopping malls, office buildings, etc), the preponderance of white and light skin people is so great, that for outsiders it may even be quite a shock. Have you ever wondered why whites/light skin people are so visible in the mostly air conditioned places they frequent, but almost invincible at street level?

The other side of the coin is the lifestyle of the lower-middle class, working class and poor; especially the Haitians. If we were to focus on the Haitian lifestyle, its very clear they live a life outside. Most work in construction (quite visible from the street), many are street vendors (again, extremely visible at street level), many are simply doing nothing in the streets and others are begging... in the streets. Their lifestyle, due to their poverty and lack of access to certain comforts like a private vehicle and air conditioning, encourages them to be out in the street (or under a shade) for much of the day. They line of work is often in the open air as well, drastically different from the lifestyle of the moneyed/lighter classes.

My point is to not judge the color/cultural composition of many Dominican towns by the type of people that flood the streets. Those very same streets also have plenty of light skin people, they are, for the most part, hidden behind dark tinted windows in their newer model vehicles, hidden in their air conditioned shopping malls, air conditioned apartments/houses, air conditioned and very comfortable indoor world. This is very much true in the wealthier cities and tourist regions of the country.

Another thing you should not worry about is the Haitianization of Dominican culture. Haitians tend to keep to themselves. They live in Haitian neighborhoods, they mostly socialize with other Haitians, they live a Haitian life on Dominican soil. Their contact with Dominicans appears to be mostly superficial. Except for the lowest class Dominicans, Haitian culture remains within the Haitian-Dominican community. If anything, the Haitians in the DR are becoming more Dominican as time passes, and that is only natural when a small foreign minority injects itself into a different society.

One last concept to take into account is migration of white/lighter people within the DR. Many native cibae?os have moved to the capital, to the east, and abroad.

In any case, there are more important things to worry about than what type of people fill the streets of the DR. The DR is a country in which what takes place on the street is simply not as important as what takes place behind closed doors.

;)

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
Here's a picture from Bonao:
6811c09c20a44822bf0e644b015b24f0.jpg

How can these people be Cibaenos? Looks like El Sur.

Status
Not open for further replies.