Cafe Santo Domingo in Canada?

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
OK so being a caffein junky, I fell in love with cafe Santo Domingo when I was in POP this winter... thought I'd brought a lifetime supply back to Canada with me and thanks to friends at work who also love the rich aroma and caffein boost needed to survive another drab day at the office I'm tapped out.. Does anyone know of any shops in Ottawa Ontario where this brand or any other good Domican coffee is sold? I'm hopelessly addicted. ;)

Reactions: mike l

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you don't find it in Canada, try EBay, there are lots of different sellers offering it - maybe one of them is in Canada so the postage won't be unbearable..... I ordered some one year when I got desperate.

We brought back 20 pounds of Induban beans in January, made by same company, but better/richer than Cafe Santo Domingo.

AE

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Thanks!

Thanks to all. I'll check it out and see what my best options are and next time I'm in DR I'll stock up! Maybe I'll start selling it on ebay if there's enough interest ;)

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
There is a store called "Blue Sky" at Jane+Wilson. South-West corner. Lots in stock. Fair price.
Georgios

KMendez504

Jan 12, 2011
Hi Shiraz72,

My mother lives in Spruce Grove, Alberta and both of us love Cafe Santo Domingo. We had a hard time looking for Santo Domingo coffee, until I found it on Amigofoods.com web site. I make an order every month for both myself and mother. Lucky for my mom, Amigofoods. com ships to Canada.

Here is the Link
Cafe Molido Santo Domingo Coffee, Dominican Coffee Order Online Today!

Hope you find this as useful as I did.
Good Luck on your Santo Domingo coffee hunt.

Kayla M.:squareeye

May 29, 2006
I've been told that Cafe Bustelo and PILON(darker) are Dominican. I use Bustelo in my Moka pot and it's the closest I've found to Santo Domingo at least in the States. You can sometimes get Bustelo at Walmart. Santo Domingo is pricey since you usually have to pay for shipping. Bustelo is about US$3.50 for a 10oz brick.

C

Cafe Moreno

Santo Domingo coffee

we launching a website to sells Dominican Coffee all Canada we will be posting informations.Thank you Cafe Moreno.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
we launching a website to sells Dominican Coffee all Canada we will be posting informations.Thank you Cafe Moreno.

Before you do that, you need to contact me about advertising.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to have your business banned and black listed on DR1, right?

PM or email me for details.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
La Cabana
848 Merivale Rd, Ottawa, ON
just south of Carling

they have cafe Santo Domingo sometimes

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Here's a dirty little secret: because the price for top grade green coffee has gone through the roof (some Dominican coffees are selling for spot+70), most of the Dominican crop is getting exported. Once it was 85%, now it's around 95%.

So the larger DR coffee producers are IMPORTING cheaper, non-gourmet quality coffee for domestic production.

What you think is Dominican coffee in the stores, even the big brands, most likely isn't.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Sadly with the rising fuel costs, the price of just about all foods is going up. CBC news was talking about the estimated increases we can expect and coffee prices are continuing to climb :ermm: hit's a caffein junky like me pretty hard.. LOL What I don't understand is that they are blaming rising oil prices on the crisis in Lybia, yet they say that they only accound for around 2.5% of the oil supply... :ermm::ermm::ermm:

Gemcee

Dec 30, 2009
I'm in Ottawa centre..I just got back and brought about 8 lbs..4 of which have been given as gifts, the other 4 are for personal consumption :) I often have friends who send me some throughout the year..I'd be more than happy to pm you when I have an extra hangin around. I love it just as you do. I can't complain about the price..2 bucks per pound is peanuts. I was getting it cheaper other years but cmon..2 bucks is the price of one starbucks. Also hoping the BeerStore will one day carry Presidente..I can only get that in new york.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm in Ottawa centre..I just got back and brought about 8 lbs..4 of which have been given as gifts, the other 4 are for personal consumption :) I often have friends who send me some throughout the year..I'd be more than happy to pm you when I have an extra hangin around. I love it just as you do. I can't complain about the price..2 bucks per pound is peanuts. I was getting it cheaper other years but cmon..2 bucks is the price of one starbucks. Also hoping the BeerStore will one day carry Presidente..I can only get that in new york.

I just brought 25 pounds of Cafe Santo Domingo back - and it cost me a lot more than $2 each. Where did you buy it for that price??

Last year we paid 72 pesos, this year it was 145 pesos for grano [beans]. Almost exactly double. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a ton of Monte Alto when we were in Jarabacoa.

AE

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
In ottawa, Mercado Latino on Montreal Road carries Cafe Santo Domingo, it's just 2 blocks west of the vanier parkway.