Trump Cap Cana & Cap Cana Marina

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Two side trips we wanted to take this year while in Cap Cana were the Trump development and the marina area. So we did.

Trump Cap Cana

What a disappointment, prolly more so than anywhere on the island we've seen.

The Donald, have you even visited your Dominican namesake recently? You should. Because you'd be embarassed.

After all the hype...wow. Nothing. Maybe less than nothing. Besides the Farallon restaurant (which is very nice) the entire area...including the Trump signs...looks like a bad B movie: sand piles, rusty electric boxes, cactus, dead flowers, crap all over the paved road, and signs falling apart.

What a joke.

A 180 degree panarama standing in the middle, east of the restaurant:
Capcanapanoramicsmall.jpg

That's it! This picture wasn't taken to show Trump Cap Cana badly. That is what you see everywhere. It is comical to see all this...nothingness...and still see a helipad with room for 6 helicopters...and even rocks, sand and brush all over it.

Cap Cana Marina:

This was like a science fiction movie, where the humans are gone but the buildings remain.

It is a truly gorgeous development. The condos are cool, the marina spectacular, and the ambience a little like Venice with neat canals. A stylish commericial area is well planned for shops and restaurants...with nobody there.

It was empty on the weekend of the PGA tournament, a week before holy week in season.

We didn't see more than 20 people in total. We asked the waiters of a nice, classy restaurant how business was...they were standing around at 6:30pm with no customers... and all they did was shrug.

Very weird: unbelievable planning and execution with NO people.

Additionally, the area around Punta Espada Golf Club showed margin development since a year ago. There are dozens and dozens of unfinished condos and villas obviously not being built anymore.

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
There was a poster i think named Kemo who was on the money with this. Looks like his "inside people" were right. Alot of people on the board knocked and discredited him saying he was full of it and had no idea what he was talking about.

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
the ghost town

will be making my 4th trip to area over the past 2 years
in November, 2 of the restaurants in the marina had closed
looked like a film set: beautiful scenary but a town filled with ghosts, not humans
hopefully this is just a start up phase which has not been helped by the global recession

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
There seems to be a little disconnection between what Cap Cana is and what it's not!

First of all, the Cap Cana complex is not for middle class people in the first place, but for the class with high disposable income. The Marina at Cap Cana for example, is not aimed at having all inclusive shoppers wander about or loitering in the paths.

Just like Casa de Campo in the early stages (and you can search my posting on this matter before right here on DR1), Cap Cana is the highest level of luxury, both in the tourism and service ends, to be offered in the DR.

To understand the Marina dynamics, one must also understand that on itself the complex in the immediate surround is not what's going to support it.

The Farallon States are not gone with the wind, but the lines of credit did, much under the pressures from the US meltdown. As such, it will take sometime for the basic infrastructure that will support the states to go up, to be readied until that such time.

You may ask why not do it now and save some bucks anyhow, while presenting a much more appetizing environment to investors? The answer is simple!TAXES! The moment the plumbing/roads/electricity/etc... is placed, the taxes start to roll...

Back in the days when Casa de Campo was just starting, many raised the same questions about the economics of such undertaking. Today is hard to argue with the results at Casa de Campo...

Donald Trump is most certainly NOT a moron, nor are the people behind Cap Cana a bunch of hicks with some cash under their hats.

Like I said to Kemosabe here long ago: Show me a lot in Cap Cana or the surrounding going for a 50% fire sale and I'll scrap up enough cash, with which to buy them in the blink of the eye...

The last time I checked, hotel lobbies that cater to higher income clientele, don't have lines at their counters or much people at all loitering about the halls... The priciest restaurants needed a 6 month or more reservation for you to eat there, and when you showed up, the staff out-numbers the patrons 10 to 1... Had yet to see a table close to yours, with actual people seating in them!

When was the last time you called your local exclusive store, to arrange a shopping trip there at your convenience? Cap Cana along the Farallon and other developments in that area, will be the most exclusive zone in the Dominican Republic and quite possibly CA and much of the region as well.

Give it time and see how it turns out as planned...

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I know a little about the lifestyle of the R and Fa mas. Thank god my boss was not on Bord when we pulled in there. I have been trying to sell him on a trip to the DR and the only place he might like is casadecampo. I love the dr and am very happy in ocean world good people good place to refuel and get what ever you might need for the next leg of your trip, only a short taxi ride away. O yes did i menchen the water to diesel rashieo we got at trumps place (we had to clean the tanks in the PR ) that place gave me the creeps.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Give it time and see how it turns out as planned...
Cap cana, with enough time and economic recovery, may be fine.

The Trump part of it looks like a ghost town from a movie set. If he's not a stupid man, he needs to have some of his "people" get off their butts and spiff the place up, because it looks like a Detroit urban renewal ghetto right now...

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Cap Cana will be "the place" - when economy rebounds as it will. It does set the standard for everything that it has always promised. But now we feel we are "pioneers" and have that wonderful condo - glorious beaches, pools - and everything we need plus golf golf golf.