Skyservice cancels all flights

Simcoe

Dec 6, 2009
Toronto News Reports its going into receivership - it was noted that todays flight to the dR and the return leg were cancelled.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Wow, too bad for all those people who will be out of work.

Although its been years since I flew with them, I found them to be the best of a bad bunch as far as charters go...its going to be very slim pickings now!

I guess its of some consolation (not to those left stranded) but at least this is the end og the "high season" and not December/January when a lot more travellers would be affected.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Last spring/summer they basically cut 90% of their flights so I guess the writing was on the wall.

Previous to that they had great vacation packages with Signature for the low seasons.

I also agree they were the best of the worst :)

Sad to see them go...

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
When my husband first came to Canada, his first flight in his life was on Skyservice (at that time the only airline that would allow me to buy a one-way ticket out). A sad day indeed. Hopefully people won't be left stranded or encounter problems like they did last year when tour operator Conquest went bankrupt.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I would guess Sunwing would accomodate those who booked with Signature Vacations as per Hlywud's article in post#1

NenaDelFlow

Feb 3, 2010
Another one?!?!

Wow, now that's 2 companies flying to DR from Canada down in a little over a month. (GoTravelSouth in February!) I was scheduled to leave with GTS last month when tohey went under... I know how frustrating that can be!!

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Sunquest Customer Bulletin - Skyservice Airlines

Sunquest Customer Bulletin: Mar. 31, 2010
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ALTERNATE FLYING SECURED FOR AFFECTED SKYSERVICE FLIGHTS[/FONT]
Sunquest Vacations has organized replacement flights for all of its customers who might otherwise have been affected by the suspension of operations by Skyservice Airlines. Skyservice was placed into receivership by the Ontario Court earlier today.
No flights were scheduled for today. Sunquest is currently in the process of contacting everyone to provide them with their new flight details and travel documentation and this will be completed by the end of day.
For passengers already at their resorts, our destination representatives will be contacting you with your new flight details.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Key information for Sunquest travellers:[/FONT]
The great majority of Sunquest vacations scheduled between today and April 30 are not on Skyservice flights. Customers who are currently booked to fly with Skyservice will now be accommodated on alternative flights.

• Travellers already at their destinations who departed from Toronto or Winnipeg on Skyservice flights: All flights have been replaced. Most of the return flights will operate on the same day as their existing itinerary, although some departure times may change. Sunquest will provide accommodation at no cost for package holiday customers who cannot return on their scheduled departure day. All customers will be contacted today by Sunquest representatives on the ground who are fully prepared and will provide details and replacement travel documentation.

• Travellers departing from Toronto between now and April 30, 2010 booked on Skyservice flights: Alternative flights have been arranged for these customers. No further Skyservice flights are scheduled to depart from Winnipeg . Sunquest representatives will contact customers today and will provide updated flight information and documentation.

• Travellers at their destinations who departed from locations other than Toronto or Winnipeg: Not affected.

• Travellers departing from all locations other than Toronto or Winnipeg between now and April 30, 2010: Not affected.

• Travellers on any Sunquest vacations after April 30, 2010 are not affected by the Skyservice shut-down. Sunquest’s summer program begins May 1, 2010 and, as previously announced, flights for the summer season are being provided by WestJet , Canada ’s second-largest airline. Sunquest expects to announce its flight provider for the 2010-2011 winter program very shortly.
If your vacation plans are affected by this announcement and you booked your holiday directly with Sunquest someone from our team will be contacting you shortly. You are also welcome to contact our Customer Service department at 1-800-387-8438 or via email to customerservice@sunquest.ca for more information. If you booked through a travel agent, we will be contacting them directly and they will provide you with all of the details.
The loss of Skyservice is regrettable. Our entire team, both in resort and at our Canadian office locations, is working tirelessly to limit the effects of today’s event on our customers.
While we are doing everything we can to minimize the impact of today’s announcement on our customers, there will inevitably be some disruption for some people as a result of our alternate flying arrangements. We ask that those people bring any specific issues they may have to the attention of our Customer Service team, or if you are at your resort to your Sunquest representative there, and we will do everything possible to address it.
Your Sunquest Team

Sunquest Customer Bulletin - Skyservice Airlines

Skyservice Airlines ceased to trade this morning. Sunwing Vacations had contracted a small number of seats on eight flights in April from Skyservice.
Currently we are finalising arrangements to protect customers on those flights.
Please keep checking www.sunwing.ca where information regarding the new arrangements will be posted as soon as it becomes available.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
The package I booked with Sunwing 2 days ago is now $160 more.

It looks like their $100 fuel tax sale that was supposed to end on Friday April 2 ended prematurely with this Skyservice news.

Wow, now that's 2 companies flying to DR from Canada down in a little over a month. (GoTravelSouth in February!) I was scheduled to leave with GTS last month when tohey went under... I know how frustrating that can be!!

GTS was a tour operator not an airline
Skyservice was a charter airline that was working for tour operators like Sunquest, Nolitours, Transat Holidays and Signature. Signature even though the signed a pact with Sunwing Airlines recently.

Westjet Airlines announced new route today from Toronto (YYZ) to Cuba and perhaps may take on some more routes.

some more facts here http://travel.canoe.ca/Travel/News/2010/03/31/13425091-cp.html

Last edited:

NenaDelFlow

Feb 3, 2010
GTS was a tour operator not an airline
Skyservice was a charter airline that was working for tour operators like Sunquest, Nolitours, Transat Holidays and Signature. Signature even though the signed a pact with Sunwing Airlines recently.

Westjet Airlines announced new route today from Toronto (YYZ) to Cuba and perhaps may take on some more routes.

some more facts here CANOE Travel - News - Some facts about Skyservice

I know it was, but it still has to do with airline right? Meaning, it's still a travel company, confirming that everything having to do with travels and such are DEEPLY affected by economical problems..
And those who had trips with GTS were brought back some only a day after they reached their destination, so I think it was still worth mentionning... I know, since I still haven't received my 'promised' refund.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
!

No more Skysquish... not good news... flight prices are going to go through the roof now ! Any they conveniently flew out of Kitchener for me !!!

Skyservice grounds flights | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Skyservice grounds flights | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

All I can do right now is thank my lucky stars! My husband and I are flying to the DR in May and bought our tickets about two months ago for rock bottom prices on WestJet... I don't normally do that! I usually wait til the last minute thinking they will be cheaper but in this case thank God I did not because I am sure now that there is one less carrier, the flights with other airlines (as la barbie as pointed out) will be much more expensive!!! Makes our trip feel more special ... we'll have more fun!

On another note - my friend at work is getting married in Mexico this month and she booked with Sunwing thank God! I feel really bad for all travellers affected but especially those with weddings where there are tons of guests also affected!

Pedro's Wife 09

Mar 28, 2010
As mentioned in earlier posts ,SKYSERVICE flights were taken over by SUNWING ,i have the same travel date ,times ,the only difference is paying the $10 tourist card and the departure tax .