Is it safe to share ones bed with a reptile

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im having trouble keeping a reptile out of my bed , I have sent him packing three times but this time he is avoiding capture .
He isnt much trouble but has a nasty habit of doing the occassional poo on my pillow, so Im wondering how dangerous is lizard poo and should I be worried about sharing my bed with this creature as he doesnt seem to want to leave.

yess

Jun 1, 2008
this is an intriguing post - is the lizard a pet or maybe a pet wanna be? How large is it?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
hes quite big compared to the usual ones around the house- green and 6 inches long, but he turns black when he gets angry

Mar 2, 2008
Sounds as though you now have a "best friend for life". Be good to your friend and your friend will be good to you.

Lizards are considered good luck, and they eat bad bugs, including bad bed bugs.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
This has to be the funniest thread I ever read.
Except for the him part, It sounds just like my girlfriend.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I had a nasty experience in the garden yesterday with a lizard- I was raking leaves and this rather large lizard decided to find a new hiding place in my shoe, when he realised hhis mistake he left rather rapidly leaving his tail behind wiggling between my toes, you may have heard my scream lol

I seem very attractive to lizards at the moment

yess

Jun 1, 2008
ROFLMAO - I think I would have died

when I read the first post I had this image - the scene from The Godfather - with you pulling back the covers and an 3 foot iguana smiling up at you

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I knew a kid in Florida who was my son's friend. About 7 years old at the time. He could pickup and pet just about ANY gecko or lizard he'd find in the wilderness. Once picked up, they would STAY with HIM, cuddle up in his blond and abundant hair. He had snakes at home and a good mess of some rather large overfed lizards and two aging iguanas. It was obvious to us, that reptiles felt attracted to him.
It would seem, JR, you might have the same effect on these lovely mosquito guzzling creatures.
From what we have observed with my son's friend, it becomes a live style.
Good luck to you! :speechles

... J-D.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Keep in mind that Reptiles are often associated with Salmonella, in fact, I know of animal parks where the birds were infected with Salmonella poisoning, most likely from the reptiles housed in an adjacent exhibit.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
6 inches long and turns different colored when "stimulated"...it sounds like some people's wet dream.

The leaving of their tail is a defense mechanism whereby if they feel threatened and someone is holding by their tails they will sacrifice it and grow a new one later. Believe it or not this ability is being studied by gene therapy experts. Imagine if you lost an arm and were able to just re-grow one.

Anyhow, they are usually harmless and help out by eating mosquitoes and other smaller pests. Now sure whether they carry diseases though...

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Your reptilian pal is hanging on your bed because it is close to a food source...look around.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I once had a gecko try to move in with me at Jack Tar in Playa Dorada.
I picked up a towel and threw it at her and ended up throwing out my shoulder.:eek:
She stood their laughing her ass off while I struggled to get my arm back in the socket.:hurt:
I got it back in and now I was very sore and p!ssed off.:mad:
I chased her around the room and she dove into my suitcase which still had all of my clothes and stuff in it.
I looked around and couldn't find her so I took the suitcase outside and dumped it all out and went through it piece by piece.
Eventually she took off.

Looking back, I should have just let her be and welcomed my new roommate. :nervous:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I dunno. I slept with one for 11 years.

Took a divorce lawyer to get rid the bed of the creature...

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I would never step foot in the house again lol

I stayed at Holiday Village (Old Jack Tar, now Allegro, soon to be god-knows-what) but we had a MASSIVE centipede looking this on our balcony.... It was like a foot long and wide and black... I screamed so loud we had our room changed :)

No bugs for me... YUCK !!! lol

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I would never step foot in the house again lol

I stayed at Holiday Village (Old Jack Tar, now Allegro, soon to be god-knows-what) but we had a MASSIVE centipede looking this on our balcony.... It was like a foot long and wide and black... I screamed so loud we had our room changed :)

No bugs for me... YUCK !!! lol

Those centipedes you mention are "nasty" creatures and have to be cut in at least 3 to get rid of them.

I think JR's lizard is far more human friendly and helpful in devouring mosquitos - have you given him a name yet, JR?