H-Season outlooks 2010

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
we are just mid April,
but all around the bords including here on DR1 people start to 'discuss' the upcoming Hurricane Season 2010, so while by my own personal opinion it is not worth to check that far ahead due huge inaccurancies, i want to bring up some opinions and at the same moment we can keep this thread as our 2010 Stormy and Weather Watch information and discussion thread.
what pushed expats and locals and near future Island travellers to start posting about the far away 2010 hurricane season been simply the early pre season report/outlook from the CSU (Colorado State Univercity) which forecasts a clearly above average 2010 Hurricane Season.

first of all,
don't forget to read their textures comletely, they are well aware that their April predictions (published in April every year and relying on the fact conditions of our Highway during the month of March) are still a very early and unreliable thingy to concluse into details, it is an overall far ahead view on the whole area from western africa til the florida keys, from greenland down til Brazil.
what they are running as forecast models for 2010 is a newly invented system of data collecting which strated firstly for the 2008 forecast, and that 2008 forecast been very excat in april 2008. they repeated it for the 2009 season and the same formerly so great models failed very hard, because the 2009 season stayed way far below the april 2009 forecasts, 2009 been a slow/smooth season and in case of Punta Cana we had not even one day under the influence of any tropical storm or similar toys. 2010 is the 3rd year that system been used for the early in the year outlook on the upcoming season, so there's not much experience on the system and the success been top in 2008 and flop in 2009, means to be improved in the future.
such data collecting jobs and bringing the collected data together into forecasting models is a huge mathematical job, even Albert Einstein would sweat over such, and it requires time of many years to compare the data and understand the failures and to finally eliminate as many as possible of those failing inputs.

to not get misunderstood,
i do in no way try to miscredit the work/forecasts of the Colorado State Univercity, they are as a matter of fact the best source working on Hurricane forecast Data which we have on the planet, but we should not overreact on their early in the year now in april made pre season forecast, they say themselves that this forecast contains a large number of uncertanties and is still due missing years of experience with the system a very unreliable thingy, but it has to be done to learn from it's failures and to imporve it in the future seasons.

where they do since a long time a top job on is their Season opening prediction, this season 2010 it will be published June 2nd 2010, the predictions of the CSU beginning of June been since long a very accurate picture of what to expect and went very reliable during the last years.
toaday is April 12th 2010, so we have still 7 weeks and 2 days to wait til that will be done and out. til then no significant institutions are expected to make significant forecasts for the 2010 hurricane season. they all use the data collected by the CSU anyways.

in general, as the opposite to the tough predicted but finally softly passing and ending last season, for 2010 the effects of El Nino are looking unfavorable for the Atlantic. in general the forecasters use 3 different stages of the El Nino effect on the forming of tropical storms. El Nino, Neutral, and La Nina.
El Nino is the strongest form and for us around the caribbean Sea a protecting shield, last year that condition hindered a good number of potential systems to form up/threaten/grow bigger etc. Neutral is the state when El Nino conditions have more or less no effects on what's coming and going. La Nina is the state when the El Nino favors Storm Systems to come up/grow/get stronger/mess around.
for 2010 the El Nino conditions til today look clearly in favor of the storms, the shift from El Nino towards La Nina will happen/finish around peak hurricane Season. such lead's to the conclusion that early season not much/nothing happens, but end september ahead a line up would be the result with the big boys running the highway. of course the El Nino influence is just one of countless factors/conditions influencing the rise of windy powers, but they are a mayor factor and if they come like actually awaited i expect the 2010 season to be very different to the calm and soft year 2009.
a mayor factor will be the Trade winds at all, at the moment expected weak, and that's bad for us and good for the windy-boys, because weak Trade Winds favor low windshears (the difference between upper level and lower level winds), and windshear is one of the main factors that hinders growing storms to grow up bigger/faster. we saw that last year on a good number of forming systems, they struggled for days even that they run over high Sea surface temperatures, warnings of highest dangers been outt for many areas throuout the Caribbean, but the existing systems could not raise powers due extremely high windshears and also due a good amount of present saharah sand feeding their dirty mouths.

so the sum of all provides in my opinion/interpretation, that we will get nothing during June, IF we get something late July it will not be big enough to bother our Paradise lifestyle for more than a couple days, august can be expected busy, specially after the 2nd week, but not specifically for the East of the Isle, mid september til end october the early of the year data suggerates heavy activities.

in case of reliability of such early in the year made "April predictions", i wrote it above, one year they are accurate and an other year they are just worth to go into the trash can.

let's wait for the June 2nd 2010 outlook.

and hey,
never forget the facts:
spots like on our northshore Luperon and on our East Coast Cabeza de Toro are atlantic and caribbean wide very well known so called Hurricane Holes, means the safest spots to spend june 1st -november 30th at any year for the area from the west-african coast til Key West/Fl and from Greenland til down to Tierra de Fuegos.
and in case i finally can experience an other one after so many quiet years i just hope the electrical power and then the batteries stay on as long as possible to gain as much data and details as possible.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: mike l

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
still in May, the 24th to be exact,
and the 1st disturbance for the atlantic is up.
over the Bahamas, very low chances to get anything worth to watch out of it, and anyways moving northwestwards towards the US eastern shores, nothing for the Isle, but that early a neg indicator as a season's outlook.
water surface temps are far above average for the time of the year, it looks like a active time period of many months ahead for this year.
where exactly they all will appear?, we will soon find out.
right now we have a Vaguada hanging and raining over us on the eastern skies,
so it is time to enjoy a good wine on the veranda, watching that flat sea below and hope for the best,lol.
after my 3 weeks quicky to europe i came back to find out that a failure of CEPM burned my PC down, will know by tomorrow if it can be repaired or if i need a new one.
the laptop could not stand the european deseases, he get's a format/C right now to come back alive.
actually i am on a small and weak travel notebook, most of my weathersites and maps are not available for me right now.
this coming weekend i will spend for mothers day with the Mrs at a nearby hotel to relax, a fishing week right afterwards at Cap Cana, and then i hopefully will have my computerpowers back to watch the weather around the Isle like usual.
til then, just lean back, enjoy the good drinks and don't let something preseason come up, lol.
cheers
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Louis,
there is no Mike's page, it's DR1 and all should chime in and give their comments and advice and experiences.
i am at the moment at the Majestic elegance in PC, you know, mothers day this sunday, so before the hurricane winds of the year start to blow you have to calm down the winds at home, lol, otherwise she would not allow me to go off in those fascinating windies when they finally start, ha ha.
i will be back home on monday for a first outlook check, even that the final predictions/models of the Colorado Uinv are still not out, should be published during next week, i like them most. i doubt that they will predict much different from the NOAA thou, so we get the chance of finally experience maybe something strong this year after many years of absence.
tuesday ahead i will fish a week a tournament, but the late nights will be for the weather thingies, it is a fable of mine and now is the time to start. i will keep it up to date as good as possible.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
from the actual early starting outlooks the different organizations including NOAA are well in agreement to call for a overly active season.
we would have had such also last year, which been finally a very quiet one, due a strong EL Ni?o over the pacific, such is the best protection for the atlantic basin in the first place.
for right now, we have no El Ni?o, but we have no La Ni?a neither, which is exactly the opposite of last year?s effects on forming systems to be able to grow and be finally waves or storms or hurricanes. we passed El Ni?o time and are actually in the neutral position, awaited is a shift towards a La Ni?a situation expected for later summer, the peak time of the season, and that would bring us in the opposite situation compared to last year, what is starting this year will have much bigger chances to grow and get a name and finally be big and bad than last year when most systems could not even really form strong enough to get at least a name.
20 storms for this season looks to me realistic under such circumstances, just 5 years back we had even 50% more, and usually more than half of the forming ones grow to be a hurricane, that would make it for 2010 a dozen, give or take 2, and it is a usual measure that around one third of hurricanes grows up to the biggest powers, a so named Mayor hurricane with destructive powers above of the usual floodings and mudslides.
what nobody never can predict as a preseason outlook is their path, the road they go, or the spots where they hit land, if they hit land.
history provided years with many big dangerous formations lining up but finally running directionwise into nowhere, up to the northern graveyard, without harm to anybody, and there been seasons with little activity but what came up hit on the spot, at heavy urbanized areas etc, that is something a pre season outlook can never predict.
of course it is logic that more forming systems bring finally more strong storms and so finally more danger of a landfall of a ugly big one, but that can only be seen and then on shorter notice forecasted when the time has come that the first one grows, then we will see what the surroundings/conditions on the highway are.
watertemps are much more above average for this time of the year in the caribbean Sea and more bad: to the east of the islands. and they came up surprisingly and early this year, for example many friends of mine fishing the gulf of mexico complained last winter about too cold conditions which killed many spezies/hindered them to breed in the usual numbers so they could catch them this spring, that turned around quick and hard into a hot suface condition here on our side. you'll never know.
a bit of El Ni?o tendence would be something nice, yes, but for this season it would be a nice ?surprise?.
we will see what June will bring us, a good indicator for the season to come, hopefully a good one for US and not for THEM-Storms.
time for that Steakhouse now,
at least it doesn't rain at the moment, like it did mostly since a week.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
two_atl.gif

a weak tropical wave is wandering on 13' westwards on around 20knots, straight into the southeastern caribbean Sea, no strong thunderstorm activity associated, zero development expected, no effects for us up here on the North caribbean Island Hispaniola.
here on the east we are today under perfect sunny skies, it is hot and humid, very low wind, very calm Sea to watch.
to not spread out the infos over too many different threads with the same postings i would guess we leave it here and continue this active thread about the 2010 season to report whhat every will be worth to watch or to be taken care of.
for today i do not expect more to report but will have an eye on the maps all season long of course.
perfect Beach ' n ' Beer weather
cheers
Mike

May 29, 2006
What I hear is it will be the worst hurricane season since the one that brought Katrina. I also hear the oil spill may warm the Gulf coast making things worse when a storm reaches there because more heat will be absorbed with the black oil. Those rinky-dink booms won't do anything against a storm surge.

Reactions: mike l

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yep Peter,
when watching the SSTs map of the Gulf the hottest spots are the mid southern US Gulf Coast, up to 31C SST's there around south Louisiana/Alabama.
a disturbance popping up there would have the perfect temps to develop, but what nobody has any experience in is the fact that the SS there is covered in a heavy mass, the Oil which is killing our Ocean due those buggers up there in the north digging for it deeper than they can control and under unacceptable security measures, but who are we Islanders to tell Obama and the moneymakers to just shut down their Riggs and buy their oil somewhere else, so nobody knows for sure ow a system would beave over tat dark mess.
in case of a storm like Katrina it absolutely does not matter in any way if a season is overly active or below average active, on such scenes it just matters that 1 single mayor Gal is on a specific track and hit's in full.
a single mayor hurricane as the only one during a far below average season hitting the US Gulf Coast would bring much more damage than the 4-5 Mayor Hurricanes predicted for 2010 if they are not coming on a track to bring any hit to that vulnerable area. but yes, then more active a season than higher the risk that at least one big Boy/Gal makes a landfall in a high populated and unprepared area. as far as the Gulf Coast goes i would expect by now that they are prepared for such, the experience is there and there are no excuses to not be prepared this above average 2010 season. in the worst case scenario of an Cat 4 or 5 Cyclone bringing down more Riggs in the Gulf the world would never be the same afterwards, but what is it worth to talk worst scenarios before anything pops up?
the US gubmint knows since a very long time what risks for the whole planet they take there in the Gulf, Deep Horizon is the first which went out of their anyways little control in such depths, and it sure will not stay the last one for this decade, with or without hurricanes.

back to the weather itself,
the tropical wave on the screens since this morning over the southern east Islands seems to me demishing(sp??, sorry), some rains and minor winds down there, but nothing else, those islands like ourselves get many times per year harder winds without a wave or system involved, nothing out of the ordinary or alarming.

this evening a smal wave north of Freetown/Sierra Leone will hit Atlantic Waters around 11'N/18'E, SE of the Cape Verde Islands. nothing alarming, i don't see any disturbance there to associate with the wave and start movement, but it is the only thingy on the screens out of the usual clouds over Atlantic waters, so i just wanted to mention that one.

from my point of view we stick to our beautiful weather on the East, looking forward to a stunning sunshine beach weekend.

cheers from lovely 6PM overlooking a calm Sea in Cabeza de Toro
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the Sat shot from last night shows night the moisture/water vapor and the actual position of the Saharan Dust over the Highway. the SAL(the Sahara Dust Areas named Saharan Dust Layers) are shown in brown color, our actually only protection/hindering shield in case of anything coming from the supercyclones birthplace south of the Cape Verdes.
the location is at the moment nicely in the middle of the Highway.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
nothing new to report in case of waves or disturbances all out the atlantic basin, all clear and calling for a hot humid sunny soccer world cup weekend under the shadow of the veranda roof, lol.
a suprising report i've been reading on my surf through climate pages been about Arkansas, and sorrily a sad one because it cause casualties, many people sorrily still missing, they had in that region heavy floodings just 2 years ago, and now they write history record highs, the lil Missouri River went within hours from 3ft up to 23.5 ft of a water level, darn, i wish all the best to everybody hanging out there, it is by far not the CNN promoted hurricanes etc what causes pain and desasters to so many locations of our planet.
will check the maps again tomorrow morning.
cheers
Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
People never believed me when I would tell them that the little rings of fine dust on their cars after a heavy rain came all the way from AfricA....

thanks Mike...keep us informed!!!!!!!!!!!!1

HB

May 29, 2006
The dust from Africa and other places can actually impact coral reefs too. There's no rain underwater and if there isn't much current, the dust can cover the polyps and kill the zooxanthellae algae inside them. This is one of many causes of reef bleaching along with eutrophication which promotes exterior algae growth. Visible algae on coral is usually a sign of a system in distress.

It is astonishing. People cutting firewood in northern Africa causes desertification and then dust rising into the atmosphere which can kill coral reefs. Yet you get BP saying what will likely be more than 100 million gallons of oil will have little impact on the environment.

When the Dust Settles (DAAC Study) : Feature Articles

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
correct Louis,
it comes from the other side of our lil river.
and correct Peter,
it bothers coral reefs over here from that point of view,
but the same SAL/Saharan Dust up in the air around 1.5-3.5 kilomters in the atmosphere over the Atlantic which i name as the specific tropical disturbances area simply the Highway, do also hinder stormy sytems to grow bigger or does even knock them down, so they can with all their powers not destroy/bother our coral reefs systems over here. good and bad, often a big difference for a simple difference in the point of look on 'em.
right, people in africa cut woods in masses to do some simple cooking so less of them starve to dead than anyways sorrily happens there on daily bases, on the other side of the river the big country is in deer need to get more own oil up from the same rivers bottom and allows BP to do so under licenses/security measures etc like the whole world is now talking about, even that everybody knew prior to the catastrophy those risks compared to costs, like all the experts know that it was just a lil occurance and much bigger/more numerous thingies could have or will be happen on such jobs over the next few decades.
i would make those 100.000.000 estimated an easily far over 300.000.000+++, but it's just a point of view and it is anyways by FAR not over, it's spilling stil.

in africa people wanna cook and cut the only available trees to get the only accessible wood for cooking, they do not have any access to any education to understand the results of such,
in the DR people in the mountains cut woods to make charboil or build houses with, the only resources that class of people has access to, they do not have any access to any education to understand the results of such,
in the Gulf of Mexico the US seeks for the resources of oil and gas etc etc to stay independent from others to run their cars and trucks and tanks etc, they do have the full perfect access to all needed education to know perfectly the results of their actions.

to not get misunderstood,
this is in no way meant to blame the US for all the bad things on the planet, but the example in the Gulf is sorrily real and actual, it is happening right now and can not be overseen by any, every single other 1st world country of the planet i count the same guilty for the same kind of failure to use their selfdeclared access to such high education to understand the results of their actions.

if blaming BP as the only 'culpable' is the way to solve such stuff for our future,
heck, i guess we do not need to worry about any Hurricane or woodcutting in the Sahara or a tropical wood cut in DR mountains for the next 500 years, because then we have def some much more serious problems.

Education is Essential,
we just still need somebody who explains us what it is/means.

cheers
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
they could also have done the DAAC Study named "when the dust settles" as a study named "when the oil particles enter Louisiana's mainland" or "when the oil dust settles down".

what happened and still happens in the Gulf looks like something partially to the Gulf and far away for the rest,
it is NOT!!!
in a decade from now we will be told about the lil sideeffects of that partially occurance at the Gulf, i just hope it will not get pushed under the carpet by serious mayor occurances during that time period.

i am fascinated by mother nature's powers myself,
i did more than once what others name stupid just to be closer than others ever would be, i would happily and without a second of thinking accept to jump aboard of some kinda modern submarine to watch with my own eyes the Oceans bottom on 10.000meters depth, i really would give anything for such opportunity,

but we should be truthful enough to ourselves and accept the facts that we til today did not explore not even 5% of what is so deep under the Sea's surface and that our humanity til today contains not even one scientifist who can imagine the effects on our planet when we 'put some holes in 5000ft depth' and something runs different than we studied about during our education at any Univercity.

Global Warming,
reducing the dirt we pollute into the atmosphere,
Hurricanes,
eathquakes,
some wars once in a while,
darn,
i name them all together just the very least of our concerns.

there's still a big bunch of education out there we have no classes for.

we should at least act according to the education we got.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
sorry for the rant,
been off topic for the 2010 weather of the Isle.
here i come back to the theme,
the map shows our Island and 'dangerous sides' free of waves or disturbances, it is from 8PM tonight, the Highway is clear and the weekend should be sunny side of life.

640_june_11th_2010.jpg

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
not much Saharan Dust seen tonight out there.
the Highway is free and SST's are on top's.
but no movement anywhere neither.
Radar from San Juan/PR also shows just a few sprinkles of dots,
let the sunny weekend start

Mike