Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dominican residency and gun permits.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican residency and gun permits.

Hi, I have been traveling back and forth to the Dominican Republic for quite some time. Unfortunately , I have seen the need to carry a firearm become more necessary over the last few years. I see that the new process involves becoming a resident of the Dominican Republic. I do not want to expatriate myself from the United States. Is it possible to do that without jeapordizing my US Citizenship.

Once I complete the residency requirement what are the steps and the fees involved with obtaining the permit. Also, I am looking to purchase a Sig Sauer or HK firearm. Are they available and if so how much do firearms of that class cost there?

Thank you in advance..

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brugalogy32 View Post
    Hi, I have been traveling back and forth to the Dominican Republic for quite some time. Unfortunately , I have seen the need to carry a firearm become more necessary over the last few years. I see that the new process involves becoming a resident of the Dominican Republic. I do not want to expatriate myself from the United States. Is it possible to do that without jeapordizing my US Citizenship.

Once I complete the residency requirement what are the steps and the fees involved with obtaining the permit. Also, I am looking to purchase a Sig Sauer or HK firearm. Are they available and if so how much do firearms of that class cost there?

Thank you in advance..
    Not a problem, in no way does residency impact US citizenship. As far as that goes both countries recognize dual citizenship, so even becoming a citizen of the Dominican Republic would not impact your US citizenship.

nothing over 9mm and pistols are EXPENSIVE here.

Moderator Living Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I am no expert and believe others will give you far better information but, as far as I am aware, it it nothing new to have to have permanent residency to legally own and carry a firearm here. First year of application is temporary residency and only in second year does the residency become permanent and is then renewable after 2 years initially. Residency of the DR has nothing to do with citizenship.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Gun permit tariffs here:
    Tarifas de Licencias

Psychiatrists approved to do evaluations here:
    Relación de Psiquiatras autorizados a evaluar para licencias de armas de fuego

If you travel a lot, I'm sure you realise that you would not be able to take your gun out with you, nor bring it back in again (unless you were Embassy security on active detail and then only under certain circumstances), so if you did leave DR to travel you would need to find a safe location for your gun.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information, I was aware that only military and police can carry over a 9mm. I really have never looked into getting a firearm there until recently. The recent rash of violence over there has prompted me to look into it. I wasn't sure how dual citizenship would affect me. What are the fees associated with the permit and what is the going rate for say a HK USP 9mm or a Sig Sauer P229?? Thank you again.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Lambada, I have a place to safely store the firearm and thanks for the weblinks....I appreciate it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I can pass the drugs and firing range....I may fail the psych part....lol Thanks very much for the info....It's unfortunate I have to do this but I just don't like the changes I have been seeing over there recently. Have a good day.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are a foreigner with a firearm and you shoot a Dominican citizen, no matter for what reason you will be taken into custody and land in jail.
    This is a tribal society where almost everyone is related to one another.
    There will be some high government official amongst the victims relatives no matterm if he is five times removed. It may be a judge or a general or a higher police official, or a member of parliament or senate. This person will make sure that you will not receive justice. You may be in jail for months or years. Justice in this country is carried out not according to laws but by whom you know. You had better be very wealthy or very well connected if you plan to carry a firearm.

Good luck!!

Good luck

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm interesting analysis of DR, I appreciate the advice. If their cops knew how to catch someone I would be worried.... lol

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a fairly lengthy process to get the permanent residency. In the meantime - hire a bodyguard who is carrying - then you only have to worry about one guy......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast