Dominican residency and gun permits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brugalogy32

Apr 13, 2010
Hi, I have been traveling back and forth to the Dominican Republic for quite some time. Unfortunately , I have seen the need to carry a firearm become more necessary over the last few years. I see that the new process involves becoming a resident of the Dominican Republic. I do not want to expatriate myself from the United States. Is it possible to do that without jeapordizing my US Citizenship.

Once I complete the residency requirement what are the steps and the fees involved with obtaining the permit. Also, I am looking to purchase a Sig Sauer or HK firearm. Are they available and if so how much do firearms of that class cost there?

Thank you in advance..

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Hi, I have been traveling back and forth to the Dominican Republic for quite some time. Unfortunately , I have seen the need to carry a firearm become more necessary over the last few years. I see that the new process involves becoming a resident of the Dominican Republic. I do not want to expatriate myself from the United States. Is it possible to do that without jeapordizing my US Citizenship.

Once I complete the residency requirement what are the steps and the fees involved with obtaining the permit. Also, I am looking to purchase a Sig Sauer or HK firearm. Are they available and if so how much do firearms of that class cost there?

Thank you in advance..

Not a problem, in no way does residency impact US citizenship. As far as that goes both countries recognize dual citizenship, so even becoming a citizen of the Dominican Republic would not impact your US citizenship.

nothing over 9mm and pistols are EXPENSIVE here.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am no expert and believe others will give you far better information but, as far as I am aware, it it nothing new to have to have permanent residency to legally own and carry a firearm here. First year of application is temporary residency and only in second year does the residency become permanent and is then renewable after 2 years initially. Residency of the DR has nothing to do with citizenship.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Brugalogy32

Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for the information, I was aware that only military and police can carry over a 9mm. I really have never looked into getting a firearm there until recently. The recent rash of violence over there has prompted me to look into it. I wasn't sure how dual citizenship would affect me. What are the fees associated with the permit and what is the going rate for say a HK USP 9mm or a Sig Sauer P229?? Thank you again.

Brugalogy32

Apr 13, 2010
Yes Lambada, I have a place to safely store the firearm and thanks for the weblinks....I appreciate it.

Brugalogy32

Apr 13, 2010
Thanks I can pass the drugs and firing range....I may fail the psych part....lol Thanks very much for the info....It's unfortunate I have to do this but I just don't like the changes I have been seeing over there recently. Have a good day.

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
If you are a foreigner with a firearm and you shoot a Dominican citizen, no matter for what reason you will be taken into custody and land in jail.
This is a tribal society where almost everyone is related to one another.
There will be some high government official amongst the victims relatives no matterm if he is five times removed. It may be a judge or a general or a higher police official, or a member of parliament or senate. This person will make sure that you will not receive justice. You may be in jail for months or years. Justice in this country is carried out not according to laws but by whom you know. You had better be very wealthy or very well connected if you plan to carry a firearm.

Good luck!!

Good luck

Reactions: Black Dog

Brugalogy32

Apr 13, 2010
Hmmmm interesting analysis of DR, I appreciate the advice. If their cops knew how to catch someone I would be worried.... lol

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
It is a fairly lengthy process to get the permanent residency. In the meantime - hire a bodyguard who is carrying - then you only have to worry about one guy......;);)

msbillionaire

Jan 27, 2016
Does anyone know what documents are needed to have someone else in the Dominican Republic sell your gun? The weapon is in the dominican republic, it was bought out there and has never left there.

Jan 7, 2016
I would think you'd have to contract with a LICENSED GUN DEALER here in order to legally sell your firearm, especially if you are not in-country. Sounds like you should have buried it in a VERY DEEP hole somewhere in the Campo and hope that no one finds it! :cool:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For a private sale both the seller and the purchaser have to present themselves at the same time with the weapon to the Ministry to initiate the transfer.

Through an Armeria you may be able to exchange paperwork via courier but you run the risk of being ripped off or taken advantage of because you are not here. I am not entirely clear on the process of transferring the weapon into the custody of the Armeria for subsequent sale.

Let us know the process if you proceed.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Does anyone know what documents are needed to have someone else in the Dominican Republic sell your gun? The weapon is in the dominican republic, it was bought out there and has never left there.

I am told it is possible to sell your gun 'in absentia'

Probably calls for a power of attorney..... but I hear it's possible

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Just remember. Owning a gun and using a gun are not the same thing. You shoot a Dominican anywhere in this country,
you better have some darn good connection$ or you're going to jail.

ssarkas

Oct 9, 2007
shooting dom.

Just remember. Owning a gun and using a gun are not the same thing. You shoot a Dominican anywhere in this country,
you better have some darn good connection$ or you're going to jail.

my friend shot and wounded two robbers while they were kicking his door in at 10pm. el limon de samana about
10 yrs ago. the police put him in a hotel room for 3 days which he paid for. 1 robber fled and was never found one was taken to hospital than to jail. friend paid 2000.00 dollars to police. gun was returned to him.he did not have heavy connections but he had 2 thou. police warned him to watch for family and friends of robbers. I sent corolnel friend of mine to home of robber and he spoke to family. all ended there. lucky. also remember; a gun is like a dick; don't show it to anyone till your gonna use it on them..

Status
Not open for further replies.