Water potability and purification tablets?

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I'm going to be staying in a villa and doing some of my own cooking on my next visit to the North Coast area and was wondering how safe the water is for cooking and washing veggies etc. I stayed at an AI last time and was told that the hotels use purified water for this purpose. However, I noticed in our rooms that there was a sign that indicated the water wat impotable. However, I brushed my teeth with it etc...ate salad and other fruits veggies served in the buffets and never experience any stomach troubles. Since I will be using the tap water for cooking on my next trip down I've taken the precaution of getting the Dukoral vaccine and my doc advised me that I can purchase water purification tablets to drop into the water prior to washing veggies etc... I'm going to buy bottled water for drinking. My question is, how safe is it for brushing your teeth and cooking and does anyone know of places in Costambar where the purification tables are sold or should I bring a supply of this with me to be safe?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
You brushed your teeth in the AI with the tap water...will be the same as brushing with tap water in Costamabar.
You dont need any vaccine...that is just a waste of time and puts unnecessary poison into your body...sorry, not a fan of vaccines.

My advice...forget water purification tabs, you dont need them. If it makes you feel more comfortable, but the gallons of water which any colmado in Costamabar will sell and use these for drinking and cooking.

I always wash fruit with bottled water and veggies for cooking with regular tap water...with no ill effects. I have watched many Dominicans cook and they use tap water for this purpose with rice etc. I guess the hight temps at which they cook.....and all the salt they use;)...kills off any bacteria.

As for availability of the tabs...have never bought them...may not be available in Costambar but could try any of the larger farmacias in POP.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Shiraz72, rather than look for tablets, which I have never seen here, use Purrrisssima. It comes in a blue bottle, It is like cloro, but more concentrated. You only need a little in the water you use to wash vegies, etc. It comes in several sizes, but if you are going to be here for awhile, get the large size.

Playero Supermarket in Sosua sells it and I am sure it is sold elselwhere.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
we have always bought the big blue gallons of water (really cheap).

also washed veggies with tap water but everything else with bottled water...boiled pasta with bottle water.

brushed teeth with tap water.

if you are going to be travelling back & forth to see your boyfriend you will find that each time you come your stomach will get stronger as you get used to the bacteria.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
we have always bought the big blue gallons of water (really cheap).

also washed veggies with tap water but everything else with bottled water...boiled pasta with bottle water.

brushed teeth with tap water.

if you are going to be travelling back & forth to see your boyfriend you will find that each time you come your stomach will get stronger as you get used to the bacteria.

I've travelled to Mexico and Asia and never had major stomach troubles...I ate salads and veggies washed in tap water and was OK. But this was before having gal-bladder surgery...ever since my digestion had changed...I'm lactose intollerant now and more succeptable to indegestion etc....:paranoid: In light of that, I wanted to get the vaccine as an extra precaution.... I'll just buy the big bottles of water for washing veggies that I won't be peeling and I should be fine using tap water for cooking because boiling it should kill bacteria....THANKS.

E

engineerfg

As a frequent and global traveller, I strongly recommend dukorol.

Doesn't mean you won't get the runs, it just helps guard against e-coli. But most air/food borne stomach issues are thus.