Any Defense Against Extortion

Blacknight

Mar 15, 2010
Mr. Guzman, I successfully avoided being arrested and put in jail by a jilted ex-girlfriend. We had a 10 day (Tourist) relationship. We had a silly argument and basically it was over. [B](Exactly two days before I was about to leave)[/B] She then had some form of polica come to my hotel and try to arrest me with a threat of ?Pay $1500.00 of go to jail. They were turned away at the hotel. Anyway after some of the local towns people alerted me to stay in my hotel and not be ?found? on the street I stayed in the hotel for two days and then flew back to the US. On the day of my departure she appeared at the hotel very apologetic and tearful to say good-bye.

What can I do to avoid any other attempts such as this? I do have her full name as printed on her ID Card.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Robert: why don't you set up some sort of tourist hotline for DR1 readers to contact you for situations like this. you could then filter and redirect to the appropriate authorities.

you could even charge US$50/incident to weed out the false alarms.

blacknight: sounds like you handled it right. just ignore her in future and you'll be fine.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I don't think its a business I want to get into directly. I get enough strange emails and PM's, without them contacting me via phone.

I'm happy to support anyone that wants to start that business and they can pay me a % of each paid incident we refer them.

Back to the OP...

Forget about her, she is obviously some scum street rat.

My advice, pick a better class of girl!

Blacknight

Mar 15, 2010
I fully knew that I would be subject to criticism and being chastised for my chica selection, however since I posted on the legal assistance page I would ask for some true legal advise in defending myself from future harassment/extortion from this particular female (or any other for that matter.)

Can I/should I file a complaint with the Tourist Police upon my return? The National Police? What can prevent her from doing something like this again? What if the hotel did not block them from apprehending me and I was put in jail (more than likely on a Friday before the week-end) on some trumped up silliness?

Reactions: mike l

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's a scam and the cops are usually in on it. My guess is one of them is her cousin or friend. So she came back and shed a tear. She wised up, maybe some way to still get something out of him.

The worst thing you can do is report this to the tourist cops or seek legal advice that will cost you a world of pain and $$$.

She's a hooker, she tried scamming you, she failed, forget about it.

I'm moving this to the Mars and Venus forum.

Blacknight

Mar 15, 2010
"The worst thing you can do is report this to the tourist cops or seek legal advice that will cost you a world of pain and $$$."

Thank you for being very blunt and to the point!

However, that statement is something that I need to be made cystal clear to me like a 5 yr old. Why is it the worst thing to do? I assume becasue of retaliation?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Do I really need to spell it out?

I'll let others do it, we have a great pool of knowledge here that I'm sure can put it more eloquently than me :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
However, that statement is something that I need to be made cystal clear to me like a 5 yr old. Why is it the worst thing to do? I assume becasue of retaliation?

Because you would be setting yourself up to be someone else's entrepreneurial activity; police earn very little here. Lawyers are not all fine upstanding citizens. It's one thing having a chica trying to get money from you, it's a whole different ballgame when you set yourself up for more 'professional' intervention.

Blacknight

Mar 15, 2010
I can lay out the "husssle" of having a fender bender in Korea. What to do and not to do but........getting arrested in the DR on a Chica Extortion Tactic was not on my assigned reading list.

Do I need it clearly spelled out for me? Yes!!! If there are any readers that have been thru this crap before then I respectfully ask them to man up and throw out the knowledge. I have not experienced this fully and if someone has then spreading knowledge is power when it comes to travelers safety as it appears going to the cops or the lawyers is not recommended.

Specifically, what are the chronological sequences of events that are likely to occur in this ‘worst case extortion scenario” and what are the best actions that a tourist can take;

1. The cops show up at your hotel.
2. They arrest you and take you to the police station.
3. The next thing that normally happens……
4. The next thing that happens is…………….
5. You should be sure to………..
6. Make sure that you do not………………
7. Can you call for assitance from the Embassy?...........

(I have been to the US State Department (DR) website already with not much luck.)

Thanks

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
at the end of the day, a shakedown like this is intimidation and not based on anything. if you're here without connections it is definitely harder and they know that. just keep asserting that you're a US citizen, have done nothing wrong, and are going to raise hell with the US embassy once you're allowed out.

and wait them out until they let you go. in this case it probably would have only taken a few hours.

the reality is this stuff doesn't happen much and i would forget about it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
1. The cops show up at your hotel.
2. They arrest you and take you to the police station.

If they have a solid case, then the hotel will not usually resist.
If it's hooker BS like you experienced, then they will often step in, just like they did with you.

If the police drag you to the station, then you have three options.

1) Buy them off. Often cheaper in the long run.
2) Threaten to call your embassy, take down all their names, be a pain in their a$$. If you intimidate them enough and show that you are not scared, then often they will let you go.
3) If you have indeed been a naughty boy and they have a "solid" case against you. Call your embassy.

Bottom line, every situation is different and different rules apply.
What works for one, will not work for others. Some people are good talkers and can speak Spanish, some people have money, others get scared etc etc etc.

Blacknight

Mar 15, 2010
Judgeing from the number of views this has gotten so far, this is very good information to know and a lot of people are waiting for the answers to the questions. I thank all of you for you assistance thus far.

(When you have done nothing Wrong)
1st Act - Know the number to the embassy/consulates office or the duty officer.
2nd Act - Try to get there names and raise a little hell & let them know you will report them.

What else?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Now that is a damn shame, even on a blank identity website.

With respect, I would tend to disagree. The problem with wanting it all spelled out is that if it doesn't go exactly as per the advice prescription, there can be a tendency to blame the advice givers. And in the DR when does it ever go exactly as per some advice :cheeky:? If one is unprepared to deal with being accused of something you have not done, it is best to avoid the situations & people who are likely to facilitate such accusations - remember loads of tourists visit here with never a hint of problems. Some of the chicas are well-practiced in extortion & false accusation, so avoiding them might be a good idea. Or choosing chicas in a different tourist destination where the odds are less?

As long term residents here, there have been occasions when we have received a plaintive 'help' phone call from people caught up in situations like these. Some have been innocently caught up in situations a lot worse. Many of these never make it to DR1 of course, but if you search for threads on Stuart Ratner and Marianne Telfer you'll get the flavour of many years experience of helping those wrongfully jailed. Perhaps a recent one with some similarities to your situation (although not exactly the same) is here:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/76061-expensive-photo-session-sosua.html

And in many of these situations, much of the outcome depends on how the accused presents himself. It is NOT good to panic, or to show fear or anger. It IS good to be quietly self-confident, unflappable and laidback. At the end of the day, the innocent-accused has to have the chutzpah not to allow themselves to be railroaded. Some folks can manage this (it is a skill foreign residents need, for example), but not everyone can.

And if you think your particular chica will be waiting to re-pressure you on your return, it might be wise to choose a different part of the DR.