Monte Cristi from Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladrifter

Jun 15, 2005
Hi Everyone,
Have heard there is good snorkeling in Monte Cristi and would like to know how far it is from Cabarete. Thank you for any info.

Val

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes and no.

You can get to Cayo Arena a half dozen different ways. Screw that Paradise Island name!!

Having just been over part of that route, let me say that from the Cruce de Guayacanes west, the road is not at all what it should be, with a lot of holes.
However, the horrible ups and downs between Laguna Salada and Jaib?n are no longer there-a plus.
But, there are some amazingly rough patches that were not there a couple of years ago.

Is it doable? Yes, certainly. I would budget, from Cabarete about 2.5 hours for the trip, going cautiously.
Things to look out for: Once you reach Cruce de Guayacanes (can't miss it, it is under construction) you need to be cautious of sudden holes in the road that can damage a tire. There are also some serious undulations that were never there before.
You need to be aware of the fact that you are now in the "campo" Dominicano where tractors, harvesters and cows own the right of way.
Motorcycles are the vehicle of use, and that dead moth on your windshield had as much brains as some of the "motoristas" do.
Also, there are Army inspection sites, sometimes identified with old tires and red flags in the centerline of the Highway. Sometimes not. I would not take anyone of Haitian characteristics on the trip--unless they have passports and proof of ID.
Finally, there are lots of places to go snorkling up that way.

Punta Rucia:
There are three ways to get to Punta Rucia nowadays.
1) You can (coming from Cabarete-Sos?a-POP) turn RIGHT about a kilometer after you cross the bridge at Imbert, go through Guananico, then Mamey, Isabela, Estero Hondo. where you veer off to the right after you go through the town.
2) You turn right at Cruce de Guayacanes, and go up and over the Paso de los Hidalgos, and go the same way.
3) You can go down the highway to Villa Elisa (just after kilometer 45 or so) and when you see the ISLA station you turn right. Follow your nose to El Papayo, go right, and at the first left, go left into Punta Rucia.

The first two are longer, smoother rides doable in any vehicle
the #3 is rougher, shorter, faster really, but kind of hard on a car, but certainly doable in cars and easy in an SUV.

As you reach the beach, go to the right and ask for DAMARIS, she runs trips out to Cayo Arena at much less p/p than Paradise.

I noticed a big hotel-like structure there this weekend, out just past the Punta itself. Maybe 50 rooms. Need to look into that place.

HB

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I made a day trip middle of last year from Cabarete to Monte Cristi leaving about 7am & getting home about 8 or 9pm. I found the roads from Navarette to Monte Cristi to be in good condition, the part of the drive I hated the most was Navarette to Pto Plata on the return after dark in light rain.

All in all, was a good day with time to climb the mountain, spend time on the beach, and have something to eat in town.

I think Hillbilly is referring to getting off the main Navarette - Monte Cristi road for some side trips, but perhaps the road has deteriorated since I went there.

fladrifter

Jun 15, 2005
Thanks guys, I was gonna ask about places to stay for the night, will check out it out. Won't be until the first of June, can't wait. Thanks again.

Val

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is beautiful....Ithink the group from Maine will be posting some photos soon of their experience yesterday.

I described
(1) How to get to Punta Rucia from POP-Sosua area.
(2) Alternate route POP-Navarrete-> West towards Monte Cristi then North (right) to Mamey de los Hidalgos-Isabela-Estero Hondo
(3) POP-Navarrete->Montecristi - Turning right at Villa Elisa to Punta Rucia

You can go to Villa Vasquez and take the first right past Villa Vasquez and go to Buen Hombre for good snorkeling...nothing there for creature comforts I believe.

HB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Recent Trip

Went from Sosua to Monte Cristi last week, 2.5 hours each way, the roads are ok most of the way, but definitely bad patches....their working on some of them. Did not make it to the beaches. :( I took the Navarette way, in the rain.

fladrifter

Jun 15, 2005
Ok, thanks. Both look easy enough to get to. HB do Punta Rucia or the just past Villa Vasquez as the better snorkeling? Thanks for the road info, hopefully some of them might be filled in before we come next month. Can't wait, thanks again.

Val

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Its one of the regions I have not visited yet but always wanted to.
I've come up to Mao (and loved it).
Are there hotels in Montecristi? Anything recommendable?

What's the general ambiance there? Is it safe, are there any particular issues?

... J-D.

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Thanks guys, I was gonna ask about places to stay for the night, will check out it out. Won't be until the first of June, can't wait. Thanks again.

Val

Hi Fladrifter,

You could try Hotel Cayo Arena, nice place clean and safe, large rooms and a pool they have a web page.

Have Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.