DR Investment Property

DR Q&A

Apr 19, 2010
Can anyone offer any advice regarding first-time DR property purchase? Ideally, we would like to generate rental income - villa or condo. A friend told us to look at the area between Sousa and Cabarete but we're open to all advice. I've read a lot of the threads on this site and it appears finding a quality property and agent is a difficult process. Any advice/reference on who, what $ to expect, where is HUGELY appreciated. We've been looking at listings online (villas mainly because of the multiple remarks about dodgy condos) but there seems to be a massive discrepancy between truth and reality.

HELP!!!

DR Q&A

Apr 19, 2010
Best Time to Buy

Thank you, Robert

Are there "buying seasons" in the DR? In other places, house prices go up during high season because owners think their property will have more sale opportunity. We'd like to plan a trip to look at property, but don't want to do this when the areas are wild with tourists. Ideas?

While we are in a position to make a move now, we aren't going to until we find the right location - rental income or not.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Now that High Rental Season is over is when you want to start making offers!

With the dismal season that landlords experienced this year you should be able to snap something up for a lot less than the asking price.

The DR rental market is a buyers market!

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Can anyone offer any advice regarding first-time DR property purchase? Ideally, we would like to generate rental income - villa or condo. A friend told us to look at the area between Sousa and Cabarete but we're open to all advice. I've read a lot of the threads on this site and it appears finding a quality property and agent is a difficult process. Any advice/reference on who, what $ to expect, where is HUGELY appreciated. We've been looking at listings online (villas mainly because of the multiple remarks about dodgy condos) but there seems to be a massive discrepancy between truth and reality.

HELP!!!

Do not buy, there is a bubble at the moment.

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
You could also look at new property in Samana, Cabrera and other area. If you PM me I will send you some information on new project in new areas.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Q&A,
Not intending to be insulting, but reading your post, I have to question your motivations and whether you really should be buying.

• If the US$100k-$XXXk you intend to invest is 10-20% of your portfolio and you want to play/diversify by owning property in the Caribbean - go for it. Otherwise, your money & future energies may be better & more safely invested elsewhere.
  • You stress rental income. As an absentee owner, it can be difficult to promote your property well. Many of the most successful have ads on vrbo or homeaway, have their own website for their property, have multiple realtors who represent their properties, have contacts with other property owners who send referrals when fully booked, and have local businesses recommending them. With all of that, they manage a fairly high level of occupancy IF their villa/condo is in a good area. In other words, it usually takes work , local contacts, and self promotion to get a decent return. I know of apartments side by side where one is rented 60-70% of the time, the other 10%. An active business approach to your investment will return more. It's seldom a passive investment.
  • There is no guaranteed return, rental income, or appreciation of the property. There are hurricanes, earthquakes that can potentially wipe out your investment or force you to sink in more capital if you want to recoup the home's value.
  • You don't have an area of the country with which you've become familiar, fallen in love with the surroundings, and learned about the area. Sosua/Cabarete/Punta Cana/La Romana/Samana/Boca Chica are so different from each other that you might as well open yourselves up to considering Jamaica, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, etc as well.
  • What money to expect? In the Sosua/Cabarete area you can purchase from roughly US$30k to US$3 million. A more realistic question is perhaps what could $xxx,xxx buy me in different locations.
  • Dodgy condos vs villas. Unless the villa is within a secure, managed gated community, you're likely inviting more problems/challenges than you'd encounter with an ornery condo board. Typically, within a condo community maintenance, security, insuring electricity & water are flowing, and household repairs can be handled through the administration. With a villa - you're on your own in hiring staff or pay a property management company (often handsomely) to keep things in shape. As an absentee owner, I'd go the condo route.
  • Perusing websites for properties. Definitely a great idea. That will give you a general idea of pricing & what your money can buy. What it seldom does is give you a feeling for the area, the surroundings, community problems/challenges, etc.
  • Many (perhaps most?) properties stay on the market for months & yes, even years. Keep that in mind should you decide you want to exit your Caribbean property venture. With the exception of new construction during the real estate boon years, this has typically been the case. There's typically no rush to buy.

Don't get me wrong... I own property in DR & am not against absentee owners. I just think they should
  • Have fairly detailed familiarity with the area in which they want to purchase - not be asking 'in what cities should i look'.
  • Have more than the advice of realtors or DR1 board members on where to buy and how to/who should manage their property
  • Should have had multiple visits/stays in a housing/condo development in which they plan to purchase. You'd be amazed what hidden problems can be uncovered as you become familiar with a community.
  • Are risking a small portion of their portfolio OR highly educated in making an investment if it's a large % of their portfolio.

Can you or anyone else luck out and make a brilliant investment. Yup. The opposite can happen as well. Best of luck to you whatever path you ultimately take.

Last edited:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
What CFA123 said! And more!

Look. This is a very, very difficult environment to "invest" in but a very easy one to dump money in and never see any of it only back.
Most condos and apartments are being peddled with the suggestion and at times even promise that they will generate almost immediate and "guaranteed", sure fire income in double digit percentages.

And then, the country is littered with warning signs... abandoned condos, sometimes whole buildings and/or developments.

While mostly Americans are impressed to find full concrete buildings here instead of the chip board and drywall castles most of them would know from "back home", they tend to overlook the fact that most are poorly build and almost immediately upon completion start to suffer, even decay from the humidity and salinity of this tropical environment. It takes a LOT of maintenance to keep these buildings, of which many have been built with a blatant disrespect of physics and basic construction rules, looking nice and rentable and functioning (plumbing, wiring, etc).
Then, there is the power issue and it's costs.
Finally, most condo buildings turn out to be owned by mostly absentee owners, so the buildings or complexes have to be "managed", often by the same people who peddle them around, again and again for commissions and "arrange" for the rental income and repairs. Most will turn out to be "on the take" at every step, further inflating the costs and diminishing any incomes. Some of these managements have turned out to be downright criminal, not declaring rental income at all, claiming repairs which were not needed or performed in a different unit if at all, etc.
At the end of the day, most who sell, sell because their balance sheet may have a double digit percentage number but as a negative "income".

The only people who seem to have a chance at consistently making real money in this environment, have LIVED here for several years before they got into "investing", know which neighborhoods have potential and which not, and not just from "broker" recommendations but from seeing and are able to manage their properties themselves, even doing minor and sometimes not so minor repairs themselves and handling their tenants directly (often with an own web page in addition to placing ads in rental-web sites.).
Short, it's a job. It takes regional knowledge which your question alone seem to indicate you don't yet have, rock solid nerves, good local connections to contractors and a fine lawyer as well as a good command of the Spanish language.

... J-D.

DR Q&A

Apr 19, 2010
Great, Honest Advice

Thank you, everyone, for your honest replies. As we are in no rush to make a purchase and have plenty of time to research, we have always intended on doing more on-the-ground hunting. Because our only knowledge base of the DR is Casa de Campo, we are hoping to expand the boundaries to the North. We are not yet in retirement mode, so spending 500,000 to 1 million in Casa de Campo is not going to happen. A nice little haven we can come to 2-3 times a year for 1-300,000 is our goal. Our thoughts before initiating this post were to possibly rent in areas until we find "the place" and your comments confirmed that was a good idea.

I will continue to look at the website for local details and likely call on you again for information when we plan our first hunting excursion. Again, many thanks for all your advice and efforts!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Thank you, everyone, for your honest replies. As we are in no rush to make a purchase and have plenty of time to research, we have always intended on doing more on-the-ground hunting. Because our only knowledge base of the DR is Casa de Campo, we are hoping to expand the boundaries to the North. We are not yet in retirement mode, so spending 500,000 to 1 million in Casa de Campo is not going to happen. A nice little haven we can come to 2-3 times a year for 1-300,000 is our goal. Our thoughts before initiating this post were to possibly rent in areas until we find "the place" and your comments confirmed that was a good idea.

I will continue to look at the website for local details and likely call on you again for information when we plan our first hunting excursion. Again, many thanks for all your advice and efforts!

I think it's a great first step for you to have set your mind on renting first. As you probably will come to realize after reading the many threads on this Forum about this very subject, this approach would seem to be the general consensus opinion/recommendation.
Another question you may want to ask and answer yourself is, if you have experience investing in RE in your country. The reason I ask, is that while there certainly are attractive investment opportunities in this country, it also is a difficult environment, one which may not present itself as easy one to start a "learning by doing" approach.
You also may want to weight very carefully the "advantages" of owning a "heaven" you can, or actually HAVE to return to several times a year versus a being able to rent freely what or where your heart sets you to next time.
Most people would generally like to see their vacations be free of having to handle repairs, dealing with "issues" and "problems" accumulated in between your "vacations" and for your time back home, having to answer phone calls about "emergencies" and many other things which just seem to go no other way then the contrary than they were agreed or supposed too.

... J-D.

Reactions: Bronxboy