Buy now or wait

rookie44

Jan 13, 2008
Me and the wife are going to Puerto Plata July 13-21. The airfare for two roundtrip with

American Airlines:

Additional Taxes and Fees per Person 147.80 USD
Total Price per Person 655.80 USD
Number of Passengers X 2
Total Price 1311.60 USD

Jet Blue

Fare: $455.00 x 2 = $910.00Taxes & Fees $295.60Total: $1205.60

Continental

2 Adults (age 18 to 64) $956.00
Additional Taxes/Fees $295.60
Total Price $1,251.60

American had the best travel times and duration for us.
Should we wait for the price to go down or buy now because the price will go up?

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Price looks steep. Where are you coming from? Makes a big difference. The high price might be in part to your original flight to the POP connection in NYC or Miami. As the POP flight fills the price will go higher. There were some great prices last month. The $455 i could stomack. But that buck fifty in taxes sux. IMHO book it.

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
Not sure about the other two but if you buy now and the price lowers JetBlue will give you a credit to be used on a future flight. They will not give you the CASH sorry....You will have to keep checking every couple of days as they will not inform you that they are lowering prices.

originalbadman

Apr 6, 2010
Not sure about the other two but if you buy now and the price lowers JetBlue will give you a credit to be used on a future flight. They will not give you the CASH sorry....You will have to keep checking every couple of days as they will not inform you that they are lowering prices.

Book through Orbitz, the "price assurance" guarentee is there...

Travel and Vacation Orbitz

May 29, 2006
I will NEVER fly American again to the DR. Last time I went through them they missed the connecting flight in BOTH directions. On the way there, they rerouted us from POP to Santiago and then they put my in a taxi to Sosua which was a two hours drive on backroads at night and they lost my luggage, which had made the original flight to POP.

After missing the connecting flight on the way back they rerouted us to Miami and gave us meal vouchers for the hotel they were putting us up in for the night-- then the kitchen was closed when we got there at 10pm. For a mere $25 each way, the hotel would bring us back to the airport where we could spend our $20 vouchers. No one had eaten for at least 12 hours and the only thing we had gotten was a free soda or coffee. 40 angry people and the airline dumped them on some hotel's doorstep for the night hungry with no place to eat within five miles.

The next morning after getting up at 6am, they re-routed me to Boston instead of Hartford(again no meal) because the next flight to Hartford would have meant losing a day of work and another night in Miami, but no free hotel. Hey if it's New England, it must be close enough! By the time I got home, I had been in transit for over 30 hours for a flight that should have taken less than 6.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
CheapOAir lists a flight for just over $1000.00 US check around for prices before you book... This was American over, Jet Blue return?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
we are flying from Boston

Unfortunately, purchasing airline tickets is always a gamble..impossible to say, price could go either way.

I would say Jetblue all the way. Havent travelled with Continental but not an AA fan from past experience. I have only ever had excellent experiences on my many trips with Jetblue so can highly recommend them.

I am assuming you will connect through JFK?

I would keep watching for a bit myself...good luck and have a great trip.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I'm coming down in May and got a good price through hotwire.com... with Continental Airlines. I'm flying from Canada to Newark then onto POP for $599 after taxes etc... there are also websites that will comparison shop for you and show you the results. I think your quote with American is pretty steep considering that you are flying from Boston and I'm coming from Canada all the way to POP for less. I'd shop around if I were you. A lot of the travel sites also offer price protection guarantees and if the price drops before your travel date or if you find a lower price on another site they will match it or reimburse you the difference. Good luck.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I'm coming down in May and got a good price through hotwire.com... with Continental Airlines. I'm flying from Canada to Newark then onto POP for $599 after taxes etc... there are also websites that will comparison shop for you and show you the results. I think your quote with American is pretty steep considering that you are flying from Boston and I'm coming from Canada all the way to POP for less. I'd shop around if I were you. A lot of the travel sites also offer price protection guarantees and if the price drops before your travel date or if you find a lower price on another site they will match it or reimburse you the difference. Good luck.

Very good advice, but they are flying in July which is considered high season. Boston has a large Dominican community and because the kids are out of school during the summer, lot of them go down to the DR.
Last year in August, I paid close to the OP's price flying from NYC to POP :(

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Very good advice, but they are flying in July which is considered high season. Boston has a large Dominican community and because the kids are out of school during the summer, lot of them go down to the DR.

Flying out of EWR from mid June to Labor Day the ticket prices are high also. It is not tourist high season but Dominicans visiting home high season and the airlines take advantage of this.

Traveling from cities with large Dominican populations Christmas time followed by summer time are the most expensive tickets. Cheapest tickets are hurricane season.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
OP,

Fly into Danto Domingo, spend the night and take the bus out (Caribe Tours) in the morning. Same thing coming back. Add $120 for the hotel and $30 for the bus and you're still in and out for just under a grand. There's something going on the day of your return because everybody's flights for that day (even the overnights) from POP are running $200 apiece before tax & fee.

$410 per person, tax & fees included.

Spirit Airlines

BOS 12:15p - SDQ 7:36p (7h 21m) 1 stop (FLL)

SDQ 8:53a - BOS 4:50p (7h 57m) 1 stop (FLL)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
OP,

Fly into Danto Domingo, spend the night and take the bus out (Caribe Tours) in the morning. Same thing coming back. Add $120 for the hotel and $30 for the bus and you're still in and out for just under a grand. There's something going on the day of your return because everybody's flights for that day (even the overnights) from POP are running $200 apiece before tax & fee.

$410 per person, tax & fees included.

Spirit Airlines

BOS 12:15p - SDQ 7:36p (7h 21m) 1 stop (FLL)

SDQ 8:53a - BOS 4:50p (7h 57m) 1 stop (FLL)

Me and the wife are going to Puerto Plata July 13-21. The airfare for two roundtrip with......
Jet Blue

Fare: $455.00 x 2 = $910.00Taxes & Fees $295.60Total: $1205.60...

Nah, Jet Blue is a better deal. I would guess since the OP is going to POP they intend to spend time at the beach. Flying into SD and taking a bus the next day cuts into too much vacation time. Who wants to be bothered with that aggravation? The first day is shot in SD and more than half their second day is spent bussing it. To have to do this twice? Not me..........

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
As a matter of fact OP right now Continental is listing a price of $418 + $127 per person. $1130 round trip for 2 on the dates you want.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
$418+ $147 taxes & fees = $565 USD per person

Tue, Jul 13 Continental Airlines 1121
Depart:6:30am Boston, MA (BOS)
Arrive:7:48am Newark, NJ (EWR)
1 stop in EWR

1hr 18min| Boeing 737
Change planes.
Time between flights: 1hr 12min

Continental Airlines 512
Depart:9:00am Newark, NJ (EWR)
Arrive:12:55pm Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (POP)
3hr 55min| Boeing 757
Total duration: 6hr 25min

Return
Wed, Jul 21 Continental Airlines 712
Depart:1:55pm Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (POP)
Arrive:5:49pm Newark, NJ (EWR)
1 stop in EWR

3hr 54min| Boeing 757
Change planes. Time between flights: 3hr 40min

Continental Airlines 3268
operated by COLGAN AIR DBA CONTINENTAL CONNECTION
Depart:9:29pm Newark, NJ (EWR)
Arrive:10:54pm Boston, MA (BOS)
1hr 25min| De Havilland Dash 8 Q400 Turboprop
Total duration: 8hr 59min

KYGIRL

Apr 6, 2010
need instructions on getting from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata.

I am arriving in Punta Cana on May 8 at 7pm (made a mistake in booking) and I want to go to Puerto Plata as soon as posiable. what would your reccomendations be for a cheap hotel for the night ( no $150. resort) and the best way to get to where I am going. I am carring 2 large cases of donations for a mission up there pluse my bag so I will have difficulty with that or I would just get on a bus. Any sugestions?

KYGIRL

Apr 6, 2010
I got a ticket on US air round trip to Punta Cana from Cinncinnatti for 375. that includes 2 checked bags.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010

That's too bad about the price gouging. I've been price shopping all spring and I noticed that the prices jump up signifigantly in July... sometimes you can get lucky if you're willing to chance waiting for last minute deals though. When I went down in January, I booked my trip only one week in advance and got 1 week at a 4 star all inclusive, airfare included for $349 plus taxes = $649. The regular price for that package ran around $1000 plus taxes. Has the OP considered looking into chartered flights? I travelled down on Flair Air my last trip and ended up getting a direct flight, no delays and was there in only 3.5 hours. It was great.