Western Union In Sosua?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I sent money to India today and there was a problem.

The receipt says c/ Duarte #2 Edif.Bommarito 809 571 3800.

Anyone else experiencing problems with Western Union In Sosua, and I am not talking about persons with poor judgement sending money to everyone's girlfriend ! ...?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't understand the purpose of this post?

What was the problem? Was is caused by the Sosua office of Western Union?

Reactions: mike l

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
never a problem

Hi Mike, i use WU for years and never had a problem...well to be honest...i ionly receive...never send...but when you send...always make sure you have the correct first given name of the person mentioned on his/her passport (no initials) and the correct last name and their correct phone number....
hope this is ahelp
Coralia

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I sent money to India today and there was a problem.

The receipt says c/ Duarte #2 Edif.Bommarito 809 571 3800.

Anyone else experiencing problems with Western Union In Sosua, and I am not talking about persons with poor judgement sending money to everyone's girlfriend ! ...?

Not sure I see a problem. Sounds like the address for the WU office in Sosua. Duarte Street #2, Bommarito Building. If that's not where the WU office physically is, perhaps that's their official business address?

edit: just looked it up online - that appears to be the correct address of WU

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I don't understand the purpose of this post?

What was the problem? Was is caused by the Sosua office of Western Union?

The purpose of this post was quite simple.

I was asking if anyone has had problems sending money from the western union in Sosua.

I sent $100 yesterday to someone with whom I had done business with before and they have not received the funds

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The purpose of this post was quite simple.

I was asking if anyone has had problems sending money from the western union in Sosua.

I sent $100 yesterday to someone with whom I had done business with before and they have not received the funds

Have you spoken with the people in the WU office? Seems to me that is the place to start if you think there is a problem.

They have been in business a long time, have never heard of anyone not being able to complete a transaction.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Problem solved!

They converted the money into rupees as you cannot send U.S. Dollars to India so when the recipient said is ther $100 for me they said no.

Badpiece was correct about sending money from the DR because everytime I go by western union there is always some good looking girls picking up their dollars from their sugarcane daddy

donaldd

Oct 16, 2016
well everyone listen carefully to this about the scam at western union that I have uncovered. This is personal experience and why I think it is happening. The other day I was sent money from the US. I went to western union to receive the money. The transfer from the US specified that I be paid in US dollars. However, upon arriving at the Western Union with the proper credentials and the MTCN number the WU refused to pay me US dollars. They would only pay me in pesos. Why you ask? Well this is my thought. There is no public posting of exchange rates inside or outside the business. Almost all the transactions there are people , mostly natives receiving money from their sugar daddies. They have no real grasp of exchange rates and could care less because all they want are the pesos being sent to them. The WU web site on the 15th of October posts an exchange rate of 45.45 pesos to the dollar. Remember there is no public posting of exchange rate in the office. They handed to me a piece of paper and hand wrote the exchange of 42.8 pesos. I told them I wanted dollars as stated on the transfer. They refused to pay dollars. I was sent $800. So they wanted me to pay $21.20 to take pesos. So this fraud at the western union in Sosua nets the owner there 2.65 pesos for every dollar on EVERY transaction. I have filed a complaint against them and hope there fraud is exposed. To make matters worse if they would have paid me in dollars ($800) I could have went to Caribe express with the $800 and received 46.1 pesos to the dollar. So the summary is this. Sosua western Union wanted to pay me 34,270 pesos for my $800. With that 800 at Caribe express I could receive 36,880, that is a $56.61 difference. Do not receive money there. Go to another WU. IT IS A SCAM AND A FRAUD at that business

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
well everyone listen carefully to this about the scam at western union that I have uncovered. This is personal experience and why I think it is happening. The other day I was sent money from the US. I went to western union to receive the money. The transfer from the US specified that I be paid in US dollars. However, upon arriving at the Western Union with the proper credentials and the MTCN number the WU refused to pay me US dollars. They would only pay me in pesos. Why you ask? Well this is my thought. There is no public posting of exchange rates inside or outside the business. Almost all the transactions there are people , mostly natives receiving money from their sugar daddies. They have no real grasp of exchange rates and could care less because all they want are the pesos being sent to them. The WU web site on the 15th of October posts an exchange rate of 45.45 pesos to the dollar. Remember there is no public posting of exchange rate in the office. They handed to me a piece of paper and hand wrote the exchange of 42.8 pesos. I told them I wanted dollars as stated on the transfer. They refused to pay dollars. I was sent $800. So they wanted me to pay $21.20 to take pesos. So this fraud at the western union in Sosua nets the owner there 2.65 pesos for every dollar on EVERY transaction. I have filed a complaint against them and hope there fraud is exposed. To make matters worse if they would have paid me in dollars ($800) I could have went to Caribe express with the $800 and received 46.1 pesos to the dollar. So the summary is this. Sosua western Union wanted to pay me 34,270 pesos for my $800. With that 800 at Caribe express I could receive 36,880, that is a $56.61 difference. Do not receive money there. Go to another WU. IT IS A SCAM AND A FRAUD at that business

2mosggm.jpg

Use WU official online calculator before you accuse them in fraud.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Send money online to the Dominican Republic with westernunion.com

See fineprint on the bottom of the page -

* Western Union also makes money from currency exchange. When choosing a money transmitter, carefully compare both transfer fees and exchange rates.

Can't see anything wrong with it.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, unless your guy in the sending country pays for the money to be delivered in dollars, and the weasels here try to pay you in pesos, because they think you don?t know better.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, unless your guy in the sending country pays for the money to be delivered in dollars, and the weasels here try to pay you in pesos, because they think you don?t know better.

They don't have to try and pay in Pesos, they DO pay in pesos. Sure you can change the pesos back to Dollars and pay for that also. AVOID.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Sent money to a friend in a Puerta Plata through Western Union at a Wal-mart in my area in Canada. They really made her jump through the hoops for her money in the PP office. I had to send her copies of the documentation by cell phone. Even with that they still wouldn't give her the money. She finally threatened to go to the police and they relented and gave her the money. I was told by the WU rep in my area that they had extra security measures in place because of fraudulent transfers. If I used them again there would not be any problems.*

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Sent money to a friend in a Puerta Plata through Western Union at a Wal-mart in my area in Canada. They really made her jump through the hoops for her money in the PP office. I had to send her copies of the documentation by cell phone. Even with that they still wouldn't give her the money. She finally threatened to go to the police and they relented and gave her the money. I was told by the WU rep in my area that they had extra security measures in place because of fraudulent transfers. If I used them again there would not be any problems.*
YES I got the same treatment from western union, just this morning when I sent Dollars to Santiago, they gave a very good questioning. When I asked why, they said recent fraud, in the DR, didnt know fraud was a recent thing in DR????

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

I've had several friends in the US send me money to pay their condo fees down here, generally in the range of $800 -$1000. In every case, the very first transfer was flagged for fraud for some still unexplained reason(?). After the first attempt, there were no further problems with subsequent transfers.

All transfers were specified in USD and paid w/o any problem in USD at the WU in Cabarete. In that reagard, sounds like you definitely have a problem with the WU in Sosua. Unfortuntely, I think they are free to set whatever exchange rate they wish if you elect to receive pesos.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
But wouldnt the exchange rate figure on the reciept ? If u were sending *dollars and picking up pesos....
Idk, as I dont use WU as they seem very expensive to me.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
But wouldnt the exchange rate figure on the reciept ? If u were sending *dollars and picking up pesos....
Idk, as I dont use WU as they seem very expensive to me.

$8 fee to send $800 seems very reasonable to me. Who does it for less?