prepaid cell phone

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
any one here familiar with San pedro de Marcoris? i need to direct my brother to get one of those prepaid cell phone kit so we can stay in touch.
how do they call them in spanish? and about how much the whole transaction should cost? buying, activation and card.
thanks?
I will be calling texting from US and he should be able to make DR calls as well
thanks

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
any one here familiar with San pedro de Marcoris? i need to direct my brother to get one of those prepaid cell phone kit so we can stay in touch.
how do they call them in spanish? and about how much the whole transaction should cost? buying, activation and card.
thanks?
I will be calling texting from US and he should be able to make DR calls as well
thanks

Claro Codetel has a "plan prepago" and sometimes they have prepaid programmed phones for very cheap on offer. Right now you can buy from any Claro shop a prepaid SIM chip for RD$150 including RD$100 credit. I did this the other day for a visitor who needs a phone to use while he is here. If you need a phone to go with the SIM they had various models from RD$600 and up. The cheap phones are OK for texting and receiving calls, but I think you can't make international calls on the cheapest plan. You do need a cedula to buy the SIM

The only catch is that to keep the number activated you need to top up your credit once a month, but you can do that with a RD$50 phone card which can be bought in any Claro shop, most colmados or on the street at main intersections. Your brother shouldn't have any problem to find a Claro outlet in San Pedro.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
are they looking at the wrong places. they told me they could not finfd any phone in that price range

rosehgghig406

Apr 23, 2010
A Woman Who Fell

It was rush hour and I was dashing to a train in New York City's Grand Central Terminal - As I neared the gate, a plump, middle-aged woman sprinted up from behind, lost her footing on the smooth marble floor and slid onto her back. Her momentum carried her close to my shoes Before I could help her, however, she had scrambled up. Gaining her composure, she winked at me and said, "Do you always have beautiful women failing at your feet?"

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
are they looking at the wrong places. they told me they could not finfd any phone in that price range

You should be able to pick one up for 300.00, 100.00 of card time included at any cellular repair/activation shop. Don't know about San Pedro but we have tons here. Usually no ID is needed just 300 pesos.

2ndVida

Feb 2, 2010
I have prepay with Claro and Orange and both took my passport info. Also depending on the length of time he will be here, would make a difference on the phone. I purchased a phone last year for RD$295 (Special). It did what I needed. If he will be here for a good length of time, I would recommend purchasing a nicer phone. For a short period 3 months or less I suppose, he just probably needs a cheap phone. There are always usually deals but I can not speak for San Pedro, I have only been there one time.