Punta Cana Buses

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
What is the name of the bus company operating PUJ to Santo Domingo and have they a web site?
The ordinary guaguas where is the nearest stop to the airport? Any ideas on timetables and costs?
thanks anybody.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's Expreso B?varo.
I doubt they have a website - a Google search only comes up with secondary references like DR1 threads.
Some of their buses stop at the airport, I think it's the ones that leave at 8am and 2pm from SD - but double check with them if possible. Fare is about RD$320 each way.

Santo Domingo: Calle S?nchez Ram?rez near the intersection with Av. M?ximo G?mez, Gazcue. Tel: (809) 682-9670
(809) 552-1678 (Bavaro)
(809) 455-1473 (Veron)

montreal_guy

Feb 12, 2007
Busses with washrooms

Do these busses have washrooms in them, and if not, are there any that do? I hate asking the driver to stop the whole bus if/when I gotta take a leak on the road... LOL

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
No washrooms on these buses, they take up space used for seating. However, the Expresso Bavaro stops in La Romana for food and sanitary services. The complete trip is about 4 hours.

The fare is about RD$ 300

Regards,
PJT

Last edited:

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
I nearly burst !

Do these busses have washrooms in them, and if not, are there any that do? I hate asking the driver to stop the whole bus if/when I gotta take a leak on the road... LOL

While travelling from SDQ to PUJ.
I came very close to declaring it an emergency, I was seriously contemplated using empty soft drink bottle. I now realize that consuming the drink was part of the problem.
The bus finally did make a stop about 90 minutes before arriving in PUJ, I'm not sure the name of the place but at that point I really didn't care :(

My experience anyway,
g

ElSul

Jun 20, 2010
Is this the company I should choose going in the opposite direction, from SD to PC? I need to find the best and least crowded bus service since I'm travelling with a lot of (expensive) luggage.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I need to find the best and least crowded bus service since I'm travelling with a lot of (expensive) luggage.

Good luck with that....hardly a possibility, may be standing room only!

Leave the good luggage at home or hire a driver if the luggage and need for personal space is a priority.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Make sure to confirm the times of the buses that go all the way to the airport. If you arrive early enough you will get a seat. They don't take reservations or sell tickets in advance which is very inconvenient.

drloca, as far as I know Expreso B?varo doesn't allow standing passengers. They have large luggage compartments on the side of the bus.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They put a ticket on each bag and you have the duplicate. No one can just take your bag and go. Better system than Caribe Tours.

ElSul

Jun 20, 2010
They put a ticket on each bag and you have the duplicate. No one can just take your bag and go. Better system than Caribe Tours.

Just to confirm that this is Bavaro Express?

And thanks for the info, Chirimoya.

ElSul

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks, and another few (last) noob questions (sorry :D):
Does the bus arrive at Bavaro before it continues to the airport?
Is Bavaro the main resort place in Punta Cana? Or should I head for another beach - do I then need to go to Bavaro first and take another bus/taxi from there?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The bus stops in the town of Ver?n on the way to the airport. The buses that don't go on to the airport continue to B?varo.

Note that "B?varo" is not a specific point but the name used for part of the area (Punta Cana - B?varo) that covers about 40 kms of coastline from Cap Cana to Uvero Alto.

If you want to go to the beach it would depend where you're staying, otherwise the beaches with public access include Cortecito, Los Corales and Bibijagua (these are in what's known as B?varo), and Macao and Uvero Alto to the north. Nearer the airport - Cabeza de Toro and Cabo Enga?o, and Playa Blanca in Punta Cana.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
drloca, as far as I know Expreso B?varo doesn't allow standing passengers.

I know, you are 100% correct...I meant it in the sense that these buses are always packed. I once tried to bribe them to let me stand as I really wanted to make the first bus of the day and it was full by the time I arrived to buy my ticket.... but didnt get very far with my generous offer;).

Slick James

Mar 11, 2010
Any thoughts on how reliable Bavaro Express is time-wise?

Like if I catch the 4 p.m. bus out of SD to the Punta Cana airport, am I likely to be on-time to pick up my friends at 8?

Thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They leave right on the dot and usually arrive within 4 hours but there is always the risk that traffic in Higuey and/or La Romana could cause delays.

If your friends' flight lands at 8, it'll take them around 30 mins to get through immigration and baggage retrieval anyway. Just tell them to wait if you're not there - the odds are you will be.

Slick James

Mar 11, 2010
Just a tip to future travelers - get there well early. I got to the SD parada (off Maximo Gomez) a half-hour early, and had to chase down the bus as it was pulling out even though there was maybe 10 people on it.

Jun 5, 2004
Thanks Slick, im planning to take them next week and will definitely keep that in mind. Also just to let you guys know, I called the Maximo Gomez office today and they told me that the buses (from SD to PUJ airport) departed at 8am and 3pm daily.