marriage

jbkw

Apr 28, 2010
a little query. i married a dominican in puerto plata. we have been seperated for 5 years. i never registered our marriage in the uk so does this mean my marriage is not legal or recognised in the uk? do i need a divorce before i marry my english partner?
i have had lots of mixed answers to this question. some say the marriage is not legal in the uk so as far as the english law is concerned i am not married. i'm so confused, i'd be so greatfull
for any help.

thanks

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
This sounds like a question for a lawyer and not for opinions on a public message board. I am sure you will get many opinions here, but are the correct????????

Bob K

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I can't say for sure in the UK but in Canada any marriage that is recognized as legal in the country where you were married is legal in Canada whether you register it or not. I am married to a Dominican and we have never registered our marriage here in Canada but if I wanted a divorce, I certainly would need to either get a proper divorce in either Canada or the DR before I could marry someone else.

For your sake, I would want a proper divorce in any event just to cover my bases. I don't understand how people think they can go to another country, marry someone and then just pretend it never happened!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We have had this question several times here, and I have never been able to get an answer!! The fact is that your marriage here is recognised as being legal in the UK, however if you have not registered it there then there is no record of it in the Registry of Births, Marriages and Deaths. So, on the face of it the British system does not recognise you as being married.

However, if you check the Foreign Office website, it does say that marriages in the DR are recognised as being legal.

So the only advice is check with a lawyer, and please let us know the answer!!!

matilda

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
If your marriage cannot be confirmed nor researched without serious effort then it doesnt exist. You may be married in DR but not in the UK. YOu would have to get a certified copy of your marriage license from the officials in DR then get it translated into english and submit to an official agency in order for it to be recognized. It would be the same if you got married in Japan o Saudi Arabia. First you need to submit the proof of matrimony and then the translation into the language of the place you are. So if the government of UK never knew you were married then they still dont. You can complicate your life rectifying everything or sweep it under the rug and go on with your life.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Its legal in the UK

I married in Santo Domingo in 1995 and lived with my wife in the UK for 12 years, the marriage was recognised officially on many occasions during applications for various things where you are asked to prove you are married. All we had to do was have our marriage certificate translated into English and certified by a notary

Hope this makes things clear for you.
Paul

Freemo

May 26, 2003
However

I married in Santo Domingo in 1995 and lived with my wife in the UK for 12 years, the marriage was recognised officially on many occasions during applications for various things where you are asked to prove you are married. All we had to do was have our marriage certificate translated into English and certified by a notary

Hope this makes things clear for you.
Paul

However

As RacerX says if no-one knows about the marriage in the UK you won't get any objections if you married again. There's always the slightest chance though that it might come back to bite you in the a$$ sometime in the future.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
You can do it the easy way or...

a little query. i married a dominican in puerto plata. we have been seperated for 5 years. i never registered our marriage in the uk so does this mean my marriage is not legal or recognised in the uk? do i need a divorce before i marry my english partner?
i have had lots of mixed answers to this question. some say the marriage is not legal in the uk so as far as the english law is concerned i am not married. i'm so confused, i'd be so greatfull
for any help.

thanks

I don't know about marriage law in the UK but in the US if your foreign spouse does not accompany you the marriage can be dissolved on grounds of abandonment in most states. You would first need to register the marriage in your county of residence, then file for divorce after whatever period of time constitutes "abandonment" (can take 2 months to 1 year depending on the State), pay the $300 filing fee and be done. Then of course you would need to get the decree of divorce registered in the DR and for this you need a lawyer ($$???)

The only reason anyone would go through this much trouble is to avoid problems should they need to return to the DR for any reason. If the ex is cool with the divorce and you have no plans to bring the new spouse to the DR then you should probably just forget about the DR marriage since it's not even on the books in your home country and live your life as though it hadn't happened.

Take a "Mulligan".

edmslove

Nov 15, 2007
GOOD PEOPLE BEWARE... I have a story that will make you think twice about marrying a dominican man/woman ever. All romantic stories are nice but when my reality struck, my world was shattered and I had been stiffed of over $17,000 and this amount not counting my trips down to see my now soon to be ex-husband. If you want to know more, just let me know and I will tell you my hole story..