Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: ONLY in DR (add yours to list)...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Indeed!!!!!!!!!!
    I too agree...sad isnt it that these are no longer universally acceptable?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike l View Post
    only in the Dr do you buy a fan and the next day it stops working so you take it back and there is no refunds
    In the DR you have little trucks circling around offering to buy anything old "compramos cosas viejas lo que sea" (we'll buy anything old whatever it is).

Sometimes I ask them "cuanto pa' una esposa vieja y amarga? (how much for an old bitter wife)" sometimes they laugh and sometimes they just drive on.

One came by this morning while I was walking my dogs just as I got back to my building. I didn't speak to him but I mentioned to our portero (day time watchman) that I had a fan that had stopped working and did he know someone who could fix it.

He said 'my grandson is upstairs fixing a refrigerator'. I brought my floor fan downstairs and went down the street to buy lunch from the comedor at the corner.

When I got back it was done. His grandson had cleaned it and oiled it and that was all it needed. I gave him a good propina and I was ecstatic. I had considered selling it to the "buy old stuff guys".

So there's an Only in the DR (maybe).

The portero is the father in law of the president of the residents association. The president is Italian. I call him Mussolini because he makes a lot of unilateral decisions. I'm the treasurer and the number of his unilateral decisions that pi$$ me off are so few that I don't oppose him since the building is, on balance, well run.

None of this is necessarily Only in the DR but it surely is nothing like where I came from.

3. Likes redserge liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Get my golf shoes cleaned and shined on the street like new for under a buck.
    Buy the best tasting frosted beer I know of for under a buck and a 1/2.
    See 50 plus old man overweight by 50 pounds walking down a street with a local more then 1/2 his age and he feels like he's Tom Cruise.
    Have a flat tire on the highway and within minutes have a motor concho, 3 trucks and a publico offering to help.
    Pay a local girl at a car wash 2 1/2 bucks for a whole night plus beer to teach me how to dance to bachata.
    Asking a Dominican friend what is his dog's name, and he replys "thats not important"
    Going into a restuarant and being given a mobile toilet seat before entering the bano.
    Having it explained by a dominican female friend that she had 7 sisters all from her father, however 5 of them where raised in 5 different houses with different girlfriends and her mother never divorced him.
    Seeing a motor concho strapping a casket to his back which I assumed was empty as he traveled down the road.
    Seeing a Dominican mother walk over to a visiting topless gringa at the beach and pour a bucket of ice cold water over her. Then she returns and next to her is her daughter which is 16 or so wearing what looked like a thong!
    Getting asked one day in the line at the Bank to remove my golf hat from the security man. In the same line is a local with a machete in his hand, and in front of him is another local with a pistol in his side.

I love AZB!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I've tried saying "cook out" and "cocinado" right after each other but they don't sound a whole lot alike to me. At any rate I thought "cocinado" was self explanatory. BTW, everybody here says barbeque - maybe they are doing it for my benefit.
    It's "cocina'o" (not cocinado) and it sounds pretty similar.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Alway try to get my Dominican Yoga students to say Namaste at the end. However, it always sounds like "No Mistake" to me. Now I know what my spanish must sound like to them being a gringo.

7. Likes redserge liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Celt202 View Post
    In the DR you have little trucks circling around offering to buy anything old "compramos cosas viejas lo que sea" (we'll buy anything old whatever it is).

Sometimes I ask them "cuanto pa' una esposa vieja y amarga? (how much for an old bitter wife)" sometimes they laugh and sometimes they just drive on.
    "El arrasa con to"
    Comprando colchones viejos,el box sping,la base se abajo,baterias viejas,radiadores viejos,neveras,lavadoras estufas, pailas viejas.
    Todo lo que sea de aluminio se lo compramos..
    Le limpiamos el patio y le pagamos por ello...
    Llego "el arrasa con to" comprando todo lo que sea viejo...
    Menos mujeres viejas.

haha

JJ

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Only in the DR you can pay your traffic fine right on the street to the police officer.....

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

only in the DR can you have a conversation with a man hold a machete and not feel nervous

11. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

only in the DR can you go into a pool supply shop and they dont have anything to sell you

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Only in DR do you put on more clothes to go in the sea

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast