Where to scuba dive... and swim with sharks.

92StangMan

May 6, 2010
My sister will be getting married on the first weekend of September. While I am there, I want to go scuba diving as I have never been before and something I have wanted to do is to swim with the sharks.

I have checked out a few scuba diving company's website that are based out of the DR but they didn't say anything about diving with sharks; only seeing corals, wrecks, etc.

The hotel we will be staying at is Magestic Resorts (HOTEL MAJESTIC COLONIAL- OFFICIAL SITE- MAJESTIC RESORTS - PUNTA CANA -TODO INCLUIDO PLAYA BAVARO- LUJOSO HOTEL PLAYA BAVARO-5 ESTRELLAS BEACH-RESORT BEACH HOTEL CASININO-GOLF-SPA) that is in Playa Bavaro.

Would anyone have suggestions or advice on how to find a scuba diving club that I am looking for?

Thanks for any input!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
At least a couple of companies like Scuba Caribe and Marinarium do shark encounters and/or scuba diving on the east coast - your hotel will almost certainly offer these excursions.

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
I don't think there is any scuba diving in Punta Cana with sharks. The "shark encounters" Chirimoya mentioned are inside a pen in the sea. You get to swim/snorkel/wade around with nurse sharks and sting rays (stingers removed).

The only shark dive in the DR I know of is in Catalinta island at Shark Point near Bayahibe on the south coast. Bayahibe is 90 minutes drive from PC. Dressel Divers operate there. Dressel are based at Iberostar Resorts about a mile south of Majestic C.
Dominican Republic - Bayahibe - Diving excursions

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Do a couple dives on the reef....then go walk the streets of So-sewer after midnight alone...you'll see plenty of two-legged sharks, barracudas, pirahnas and ramoras, which cling to their hosts for a free ride via a suction in order to eat their host's leftovers until they are scraped off ... ;)

92StangMan

May 6, 2010
Thank you! I am reading those links and will continue to look around. I will also contact the travel agency being used to get the best price possible.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
IMHO its generally better to take less risks in the DR than you might in the US.

things aren't always as sturdy here.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
def no diving with sharks here on the east.
like Yumi wrote above, the Marinarium Excursions has a nurse shark and stingray counter where you can snorkel with them.
and as a beginner you would anyways not consider to go deep with the big boys right away, wouldn't you?
we have all kind of the big sharks in the area, greys, blues, macos, tigers, all 3 kinds of hammerheads in large schools.
they are easy to find, b/c they find you when you know what you do.
beginners with the big ones?
no freakin' way my friend.
cheers
Mike