Socket wrench set - where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Ok, this is getting ridicolous. I need a simple socket wrench set. They had them in Playero one week ago, now sold out.

Yesterday we went to La Sirena POP - they did not have it... the ferreterias neither... I need a simple set, not a Stanley 400 dollar one.

Anyone seen them in Cabarete/Sosua area?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I assume that Freddies in Cabarete was your second stop after Lunares. If not you might want to try them

Bob K

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
There is a 'TOOLS ONLY' shop on the south east side of the Marcedo Modeno' (Star Market to many) in Puerto Plata. The shop is situated where five roads intersect. ONE of those roads is the one that leads up to the jail.

There is also the car spares place on the left hand side of the road at the top of Calle Beller (the main road out of Puerto Plata going towards the airport & Sosua).

Sorry I do not know the names of them ..... I tend to just 'Go to them' rather than paying attention to names & telephone numbers etc. If you have not got something sorted by Tuesday mid day, let me know & I will go that way when I am next to an appointment in town! ~ Grahame

Reactions: Vacara

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
on past experience you have to visit them all to get what you want unless you strike lucky - I had to visit virtually all of them to find a tap washer of the correct size.

There seems to be a lack of stock control so if they have it they sell it and then they dont have it, until someone realises and orders another one to sell and then they dont have it again

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Did you try La Sirena? The stores here in SD have small, cheap socket sets..

La Sirena in Puerto Plata yes. La Sirena is a big improvement for POP, nice store, STILL, I mean they can have 300 (just an example) different colors of the same screwdriver, but not a socket set. Who is doing the thinking?

Really hope IKEA is the first step for some Multinational chains to come here. Home depot, Best Buy...

Like somebody said, I will "bump" into it soon. Remember seeing them in Supermercado Nacional in Santiago a couple of years ago. But having to drive to Santiago for a simple socket set... :(

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
There is a 'TOOLS ONLY' shop on the south east side of the Marcedo Modeno' (Star Market to many) in Puerto Plata. The shop is situated where five roads intersect. ONE of those roads is the one that leads up to the jail.

There is also the car spares place on the left hand side of the road at the top of Calle Beller (the main road out of Puerto Plata going towards the airport & Sosua).

Sorry I do not know the names of them ..... I tend to just 'Go to them' rather than paying attention to names & telephone numbers etc. If you have not got something sorted by Tuesday mid day, let me know & I will go that way when I am next to an appointment in town! ~ Grahame

Thanks for the info. about "Tools only" I will check it out. However I will go to Santiago tomorrow and there I hopefully find one.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I assume that Freddies in Cabarete was your second stop after Lunares. If not you might want to try them

Bob K

It was my second stop...and today I stopped again, new clerk and he found one under some other stuff!! I think I got the last one. Yippie!!! 250 pesos...they gave me 50 pesos discount without me even asking for it (like Linares do). 200 pesos... 10 year warranty... well not. Happy happy.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
It was my second stop...and today I stopped again, new clerk and he found one under some other stuff!! I think I got the last one. Yippie!!! 250 pesos...they gave me 50 pesos discount without me even asking for it (like Linares do). 200 pesos... 10 year warranty... well not. Happy happy.

Ten years warranty for a two hundred Pesos socket set?? there must be something wrong I used to pay $ 350. for a single one # 30/ 0r 32 x one inch drive in to un tight the axles of my cars of course I used to buy Craftsman, Stanley or acesa when I was in DR.
If you got one of those Chinese sets don't torque more than 15 pounds as they will break use it only for very lights works.

JJ

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
For power tools I prefer Sears as I feel safe to apply all my stretch to a craftsman socket and it won't break, that is the reason you get life warranty in all craftsman tools.

JJ

..and they never give you a problem when you return them. Best to spend a little more to get something that will last.

For around the house a set of 3/8" drive sockets should be more than adequate.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
PriceSmart (Santiago & Santo Domingo) usually carries a very complete socket-ratchet set including both, metric and SAE sizes (you WILL need both here!) for around USD80.oo.
Similar or possibly more complete than this one:

363545.jpg

Ferreteria American in Santo Domingo (JFK) also carries some complete sets in a variety of price ranges and qualities.

... J-D.

Status
Not open for further replies.