Living in the DR is cheap

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I just finished calculating our costs for living here (2 adults and three small girls) in the DR from January 1 to May 1. Looking at my bank balances I calculate we are living off of around US1100 a month. This includes internet, Vonage phone and cable. I don't have a car or house payment either.

We have made some changes recently to account for my lack of income due to the recession and in fact can be even more frugal if necessary. We typically eat a standard Dominican lunch 4-5 times a week with tacos or spaghetti rounding it out. For dinner it's standard Dominican fare (platano, yucca) 3 times a week with sandwhiches and a homemade pizza once a week for the balance.

We also take the girls to see a movie once a week and weekly see the inlaws. Also, at least twice a week we eat out and that usually costs around US10 a pop or even less and is usually rice and beans or chicken and fries.

My only real luxuries are one beer a day and a sip of rum and my xbox360.

I have no complaints and feel fairly fortunate, as if we had statyed in the States we would have had some big changes to make to get income - like moving from Florida, etc.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Sounds good, Chip. I will be back in September and definitely changing up the lifestyle a bit seeing as I will have an extra mouth to feed, even though for a while he will only have breastmilk. :)
I will do fine as long as I cut out the TGIFridays :)
SHALENA

Carista

May 9, 2010
This is fantastic information! I believe I am moving to the Santo Domingo this summer. I will have to live off of 1000 US a month (apartment taken care of). My partner will be coming along too and hopefully he lands a job. If not, we have some savings to hold us over.

It will be a lot less than what I am used to in Canada, but I look forward to it. I don't spend much...pretty simple living.

Carista

May 9, 2010
I actually have a great job here in Canada. I am taking a leave so that I can experience another culture. Money is not a concern so long as I have enough to survive....it is the culture and lifestyle that draws me.

And then, after a year or two, I can return here (if I like).

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Ok Chip but how much weight did you lose? Come on man, I weighed myself before and I was 223lbs. I think I can out-cheap you and lose weight too. SO....whats the goal? Me? 199.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
you would have much more opportunities for work if you lived in the US.

Not in civil engineering in Florida. My good friend who made 200k in Orlando hasn't got a job yet this year. The company of over 110 employees I worked at in Orlando is gone and my friend who ran the office when to another firm before they closed. In two years they went from over 130 employees to two. This is typical of central Florida and it's worse in Miami. I'm sure I could have gotten a job in timbuktu MI but at what expense? We're in depression levels in FL.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Ok Chip but how much weight did you lose? Come on man, I weighed myself before and I was 223lbs. I think I can out-cheap you and lose weight too. SO....whats the goal? Me? 199.

I lost 7 pounds but not because we don't eat good. Rice and beans and plantains can fill you up cheaply.

Carista

May 9, 2010
Chip, that's aweful! I am a teacher and I have been tenured so luckily my job is quite secure in Canada. I just really want to travel...now or never :)

In Canada, aside from my apartment, I live off of much less than 1000.00 just because I am not a big shopper. I mostly eat fruits and vegetables here but it is all imported so it is expensive to eat healthy. I figure if I can do it here, I can do it there.

~crossing fingers~

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
One thing I should mention is that we are happier here in spite of things. The school and everything is close by and there is less stress. Soemthing that wouldn't be likely in the middle of timbuktu with a country girl that speaks no English. :)

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I lost 7 pounds but not because we don't eat good. Rice and beans and plantains can fill you up cheaply.

Thats what I m talking about, the lack of processed food gives your metabolism a relief. Plus beans and rice is all carbs, and fiber. And with this humidity, its like a sauna if you spend at least 1 hour outside walking around.

How about getting one of them pedi-cabs? Go green and leave the gasoline to the moto-conchos. I ll bet you ll burn bungloads of calories then.

E

engineerfg

Chip are your kids in private school or public school? Any commentary on what the public school system is like here?

Once I have a family, that's the only thing that would concern me about staying here.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Public school is awful unless you think a 5th grade education and minimal literacy skills are what your children need in the 21st Century.

Carista

May 9, 2010
Get ready to lose 2lbs a month solely due to dysentery! Exercise and you can get better results! :)

Dysentery? I had to look up that word. Seriously?

I am on a very strict naturopathic diet now where I do not eat processed food. I mostly eat fruits, vegetables, rice, nuts, and chicken.

How about chicken? What is the price?

Reactions: mike l

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
I just finished calculating our costs for living here (2 adults and three small girls) in the DR from January 1 to May 1. Looking at my bank balances I calculate we are living off of around US1100 a month. This includes internet, Vonage phone and cable. I don't have a car or house payment either.

We have made some changes recently to account for my lack of income due to the recession and in fact can be even more frugal if necessary. We typically eat a standard Dominican lunch 4-5 times a week with tacos or spaghetti rounding it out. For dinner it's standard Dominican fare (platano, yucca) 3 times a week with sandwhiches and a homemade pizza once a week for the balance.

We also take the girls to see a movie once a week and weekly see the inlaws. Also, at least twice a week we eat out and that usually costs around US10 a pop or even less and is usually rice and beans or chicken and fries.

My only real luxuries are one beer a day and a sip of rum and my xbox360.

I have no complaints and feel fairly fortunate, as if we had statyed in the States we would have had some big changes to make to get income - like moving from Florida, etc.

What part of the country do you live where it is possible and safe for a family with kids to live and only walk without a car (i.e. gas,insurance,repairs)?

No medical expenses?

Here in Sosua a small visit to Playero costs $100US and lasts for two-three days for two persons.

But in one thing I 100% agree - In DR forget eating-out. The biggest rip-off and expense. No more reasonably priced places to eat. Good times of $3-$5US honest dinners are gone.

The number one thing for tourists or visitors to have in their maleta - electric hot plate and electric tea kettle. Cook home, cook home,cook home!!!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
lovely to hear from you again afgan. ....have you ever eaten out in the uk , well actually I havent either apart from twice a year (too expensive) , here you can eat out at least once a week

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sounds good, Chip. I will be back in September and definitely changing up the lifestyle a bit seeing as I will have an extra mouth to feed, even though for a while he will only have breastmilk. :)
I will do fine as long as I cut out the TGIFridays :)
SHALENA

Can't wait to see you guys again. I'll start saving now for another bbcue. :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip are your kids in private school or public school? Any commentary on what the public school system is like here?

Once I have a family, that's the only thing that would concern me about staying here.

Our kids go to a private school and I'm happy with the results.