Playa Dorada cinema

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Does anyone know if the cinema is re-opened yet? If not, when it is likely to?

Thanks.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Does anyone know if the cinema is re-opened yet? If not, when it is likely to?

Thanks.

It was NOT re-opened last weekend. Still the same old paper signs stuck over the billboard place holders suggesting that it "is" being remodeled.
Actually, I could NOT see anything being done. I talked to one of the shop keepers downstairs and he seemed to feel that it was not going to re-open anytime soon.

... J-D.

Dominicanero

Banned
Jun 27, 2009
It was NOT re-opened last weekend. Still the same old paper signs stuck over the billboard place holders suggesting that it "is" being remodeled.
Actually, I could NOT see anything being done. I talked to one of the shop keepers downstairs and he seemed to feel that it was not going to re-open anytime soon.

... J-D.

That's a shame. I always enjoy going to the movies there at Playa Dorada about once a week when I stay in Sosua. The theater always got a lot of business, I wonder why they shut it down?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
That's a shame. I always enjoy going to the movies there at Playa Dorada about once a week when I stay in Sosua. The theater always got a lot of business, I wonder why they shut it down?

I wonder the same thing?? I used to love going there. I also went to the one in downtown Puerto Plata a few times and then it closed too. Surely there are enough people interested in going to the cinema in the Puerto Plata area to keep one going, no?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Well, that theater did collect a little of that "moth balls' smell" over the years. I too thought it could benefit from a little "rejuvenation therapy".
The way it looks right now -no activity- and from what I hear murmured around the stores down stairs... I am inclined to share your fears... it might just wind up as one more add-on to the list of amenities which were left slipping into biting the dust.
It wouldn't be the first theater POP lost either (REX on the main park).

... J-D.

Henry03

Nov 11, 2002
Cinemar Playa Dorada

According to the Puerto Plata newspaper, El Faro dated August 13-16, the cinemar is now open. They are showing the movies four times a day in each of the salas. I hope to check it out for myself soon.

ninar

Sep 19, 2008
The Puerto Plata Cinema is open

current movies being shown.

La Soga
1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 710pm & 930pm

Eclipse
145pm, 430, 715pm & 10pm

Toy Story 3
130pm, 330pm, 530pm & 730pm

for show times and information 809 320 1400

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
That is great news. Any idea on the price of a ticket and dffferent if you have your residency/cedula?

Bob K

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
OK, need your help. One thing they haven't changed is the guy on the recorded message telling you what films are playing! I have listened to him about 5 times and have only been able to work out the name of the Dominican film that is playing. Can't get the other two - can anyone help?

I have looked online at El Faro but cannot find details on there. I don't have access to a paper copy of this newspaper, which I believe has the films and times.

Thanks in advance,

Nikki

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Bringing this thread back from the old days, but I think the cinema has opened again in May 2014 after being closed for a while.

Is there a website that shows what films are showing and at what time !?