Visiting Santiago for the first time...

Ulysses

May 11, 2010
So I decided to visit Santiago on Memorial Day weekend. I will be staying there approximately five days. It will be my first time in DR.

I do want to make the most of my time there. I am trying to get a hotel for under $100 a night including taxes. I am looking at Camp David, Los Jardines and Aloha Sol...I'm having a hard time deciding between the three. I like the view from Camp David but it appears that it might be a little too much out of the way....I'm not against paying up to $150 for a different hotel (Hodelpa?) if there is a world of difference in the surrounding neighborhood near the hotel.

Is renting a car recommended? I've read some of the adventures dr1 members have had renting cars so I'm not sure what to expect if I rent a car.

I also want to try to go to Puerto Plata. The State Department states:

At least three of the reports indicate the victims were intercepted during the morning hours, when there was little other traffic, while driving on rural highways connecting Santiago and Puerto Plata.​

What roads should I avoid if I choose to drive to Puerto Plata? Thanks in advance.

Benzbze

May 11, 2010
The road from Santiago to Puerto Plata is a straight shot more or less an hour. You can also try caribe tours, very reasonable

May 12, 2005
Your best bet for a hotel is the Aloha Sol. Especially for a first time visitor to Santiago. It is within walking distance to the Monumento and the nightlife surrounding it. It will run about $60 US a night. If this your first ever visit to DR, the DO NOT drive or rent a car. Taxi fare within the city is about $125 RD unless it has gone up recently. To get to Puerto Plata, take the Caribe Tours or Metro buses. Very cheap and comfortable ride.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Your best bet for a hotel is the Aloha Sol. Especially for a first time visitor to Santiago. It is within walking distance to the Monumento and the nightlife surrounding it. It will run about $60 US a night. If this your first ever visit to DR, the DO NOT drive or rent a car. Taxi fare within the city is about $125 RD unless it has gone up recently. To get to Puerto Plata, take the Caribe Tours or Metro buses. Very cheap and comfortable ride.

I agree with Frank, I just came back. I stayed in Aloha Sol for 4 nights and it cost me 9,995RD and there is free breakfast. The rooms are clean and the staff pleasant. I have stayed there twice before and will stay again during my house hunting trip. It is in the center of everything and although I usually catch Los carros publicos but there are taxis stationed right on the corner across from Pizza Hut with a going rate of 150RD.
IMO, you can't go wrong with Aloha Sol.
SHALENA

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I USUALLy vote for Hotel Jardines, since it is close to like, oh, maybe 20 places to eat, WIFI, and hang out.
Taxi fees are 125 all over town and if you are going some place far out, you ask for the cost BEFORE you get in. The Dispatcher can always quote you a price.
You have to go to Centro Leon, and hang out up by the Monument.
Another reason for Hotel Jardines? It is a 10 minute walk to the Caribe Tour bus stop!
Safety is another reason, but then again Santiago is a pretty safe place to be anyway.

HB might invite you over for coffee if you are a nice person...

Cordially,

HB (anfitri?n de realengos)

The above mentioned hotels will serve you fine but I would definately suggest a night up in Camp David ranch, The views are fantastic especially in the early morning where you will sometimes wake up in the clouds if you leave your windows open at night. Sitting on the balcony of room number 5 or 7 and having a coffee watching the clouds disperse and Santiago coming alive below you is priceless.

Reactions: Lucille

offtolawschool

May 3, 2010
oh and camp david is only 50US a night for great service, restaurant, views, some history with f*ckface's car, and fresh mountain air.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can agree that a night at Camp David is worth the effort.
As for the vulgarity,well, let us say that close to a majority of people on this island right now would vote for him....only because they prefer to have one thief and S.O.B. rather than hundreds of "come solos".....Better a know evil, that a "good" yet to be known...

HB

offtolawschool

May 3, 2010
crazy

yeah sorry for the language. i just have a habit of using that nickname...fits so well.

you have a point about all the thieves running the place now. its a pick your poison situation. but at least there is a little more balance, today. the two party system places a tiny check on the corruption. both pld and prd spend a lot of time looking for ways to show the other party in a bad light and press is more vocal as well.

things are still run from under the table though. probably always will...

BACK TO HOTELS:

if someone wants tranquility and relaxation, camp david.
if someone wants to be in the city, aloha sol for the price.
if price doesn't matter, gran almirante has some extra comfort in their suites.
century plaza is okay but a bit overprices and not as close to fun stuff.
los jardines is good for all of the reasons hillbilly mentioned. near Over and Froguitos and some other cool spots.

Ulysses

May 11, 2010
I wasn't really expecting so many replies! Thanks DR1 community!

I do want to see the beaches in DR. I was thinking about a day trip to Puerto Plata. Are the beaches there public or should I stay a night at a hotel and obtain access to the beach that way?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
There is a law that says the populace has access to all beaches regardless of what resort security says. But in most instances the truly public beaches are those with massive boulders in the water or some other hindrances or obstacles. The resorts survey the area before they build so they get the best land. But anyway, like I said, all beaches are public beaches no matter what the "watchman" says. But the area proximal to the beach may be hotel property(the bar, the pool, the restaurant, etc) and you may have to be a guest. But you, big spending American shouldnt get declined if you go in to eat or buy something at the gift shop.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Schitt! Just hop on an early bus to Sos?a and enjoy one of Nature's most beutiful settings. Beaches are gorgeous, so enjoy..

HB

Reactions: Lucille

jb1

May 28, 2010
nice info about hotels, anyone use their local Orange prepaid system? can u call USA, if so how much

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You buy a phone for like 8 dollars, a phone card for another $8 and call wherever you want.
press #131# Send to find out how much you have left and #132* plus the 14 digit PIN on any of the ORANGE cards...and then# and Send to reload..

Eassy

HB