Have you ever had a vision

Of an island far away

Free from blight of Prohibition? --

Would you like to go and stay? --

Island of our ardent fancies

Void of life's vicissitudes;

Isle where "bacardi" enhances

Generous Nature's lavish moods.

This is from U.S. naval officer Constantine M. Perkins, who in 1921 dubbed Santo Domingo "The Isle of Boozodoo", due to the availability of alcohol during a time when "prohibition" was wrecking havoc on the gringos "spirit".

According to Eric Roorda (The Dictator Next Door: The Good Neighbor Policy and the Trujillo Regime in the Dominican Republic) that would explain "the rush of ex-occupiers to seek positions in the Dominican Army under Trujillo, "as if it is a foreign legion". It might also account for the origin of terms like; "boozey good will cruises", or "champagning around the Caribbean."

Liquor played such an important rol in Trujillo/US relation that ambassador Avra Warren always had a case of Carlos Primero brandy (Trujillo's exclusive drink) at the embassy, to entertain "El Jefe", who expected -every time- to be served from a new bottle opened in his presence. One day, new ambassador Briggs insulted Trujillo, by offering -on his second visit- a drink from the same bottle he had opened on the first.

This forced me to ask the question; Why the US did not implement prohibition during the 8 years occupation of DR?.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Have you ever had a vision

Of an island far away

Free from blight of Prohibition? --

Would you like to go and stay? --

Island of our ardent fancies

Void of life's vicissitudes;

Isle where "bacardi" enhances

Generous Nature's lavish moods.

This is from U.S. naval officer Constantine M. Perkins, who in 1921 dubbed Santo Domingo "The Isle of Boozodoo", due to the availability of alcohol during a time when "prohibition" was wrecking havoc on the gringos "spirit".

According to Eric Roorda (The Dictator Next Door: The Good Neighbor Policy and the Trujillo Regime in the Dominican Republic) that would explain "the rush of ex-occupiers to seek positions in the Dominican Army under Trujillo, "as if it is a foreign legion". It might also account for the origin of terms like; "boozey good will cruises", or "champagning around the Caribbean."

Liquor played such an important rol in Trujillo/US relation that ambassador Avra Warren always had a case of Carlos Primero brandy (Trujillo's exclusive drink) at the embassy, to entertain "El Jefe", who expected -every time- to be served from a new bottle opened in his presence. One day, new ambassador Briggs insulted Trujillo, by offering -on his second visit- a drink from the same bottle he had opened on the first.

This forced me to ask the question; Why the US did not implement prohibition during the 8 years occupation of DR?.

because there is foolish and then there is stupid! jaja

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Dose anyone know if the Kennedy's ever had a connection to the DR for their supply of alcohol?

For example from this site
Lavida Ocean

Joseph Kennedy, who was most recognizable as the father of former U.S. President John F. Kennedy, became affectionately known as a ?Baptist Bootlegger?.

By the mid 1920?s the Volstead Act was being reviewed by his allies in the American Government with a view to repealing it, but Kennedy was making so much money while prohibition was in existence, that he secretly aligned himself with Temperance Movement supporters in an effort to keep prohibition in place.

It makes me wonder how much of his product came from the DR.

Teddy will be nine months sober on May 25. ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think a lot of the alcohol that came in from the south, Cuba, probably....and Canada from the north.

It was said that the elder Kennedy did well in the bootlegging business. Apparently quite well, but with little traceable connections. As a Democrat, he helped Roosevelt of course, and got the plum of the Court of St. James.

HB

May 5, 2007

Prohibition was the 18th amendment to the US Constitution, NOT an extension of US Foreign policy. Imposing Prohibition upon "Occupied" territory would have been the same as granting the right to Vote. The US Constitution Governs the US, not foreign nations

I'm not that familiar with the US Occupation of the period you reference but assume it was under a "Military" Governor or Commander who governed by Civilian order