Repair company next to my house

Mar 1, 2009
I live on a nice quiet street in Santo Domingo. However I have to leave DR in order to go the USA for business, for months at a time. Without me realizing it upon me returning, the neighbor has set up a home appliance repair shop next door. He repairs oven's, refrigerators and other things, he is doing this in a residential neighborhood!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks horrible and on top of that it's next door to my house!!!!
I like the guy but I can't stand looking at all that garbage next door.

Is there anything I can do, or should I just maintain my passive aggresive attitude or maybe just offer him the space in my house so he can expand operations (that part is a joke).

I'd like for him to cease and desist his semi-industrial operations in a residential neighborhood.

Help...

Lando

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Hey Lando, in which residential neighborhood you live? If it is a mayor one you can organize yourself with La Junta de Vecinos and tell the neighbor to either take the junk inside or out of the neighborhood.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There isn't much zoning so to speak in the DR.

Not sure there is a lot you can do without totally alienating your neighbor. And THAT can have serious consequences in the DR.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
There isn't much zoning so to speak in the DR.

Not sure there is a lot you can do without totally alienating your neighbor. And THAT can have serious consequences in the DR.

True, but if it is a up-scale neighborhood of Santo Domingo I'm pretty sure he isn't the only one ****ed off. And a group of rich people can make things happen quick if they want to.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
He is probably dealing with one of Jack's family. Outta, who is a first cousin to Pile 'o... the brother of Fulla....

Not much hope for changing the situation. Schitt Outta Luck is a tough family to buck...goes back a long way to Bull and his wife Holy...

Sorry guy, but you is screwed, blued and tatooed...

HB

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
You don't mention if you are generally on good terms with your neighbour (aside from the issue at hand) but what about going to speak to him about how you feel? It likely won't result in him shutting down business but if you have previously been friendly neighbours, if you explain how having all that stuff sitting out on his lawn beside your house has a negative effect on your property, he may make some effort to try and keep things tidier?

Just a suggestion as you are likely stuck with the situation. Making big waves and getting in a fight over it probably won't help either.

Mar 1, 2009
He already does the spray!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you HB for cracking me up :)

I am partially at fault for being abroad for so many years. However I don't think I have to let this continue in this manner anymore.

I am currently on good terms with this guy (at least we wave at each other) He has begun to quietly remove and cover up some of the most offensive things that I was going to mention to him. I just don't fancy that an appliance repair company is in a residential neighborhood. I never thought I was a NIMBY.

Extremer, the president of the Junta either stepped down or was impeached, depending on whose story I wish to believe because his son was accused, charged and incarcerated for 20 years as a result of murder in a drug deal. I used to play pelota with the kid. I think it's because that under his mandate the neighborhood has gotten dirtier and uglier than it should be. We'll see

Ay que pais este!!! So I will continue to mill over my "limited options". I have also quietly begun to poll the folks on my street to see what they think and they don't really like it. Will they lift a finger? Let's see or vamos a ver...

Thank you all!

El Lando

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Since you live with your aging Grandma who has breathing problems ;) because of the paint fumes you can go to the environmental health office of Salud Publica and they will send someone to investigate &, if the complaint is proven, issue a citation. The rented bus parking lot behind our house didn't provide bathrooms for staff so they all pee'd everywhere. I went to Salud Publica & sure enough they issued a citation and the guy renting the parking lot then had to build a bathroom, which he did.

Not that any of the staff use it apart from his secretary who is the only female on the site. The remainder of the staff do....... what they always did. :cheeky:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My sister-in-law lives on a quiet residential street in Mirador Sur (middle class area) but one of her neighbours happens to be a guagua owner, so one or two buses are always parked on the street outside her building - she doesn't like it but I don't think she'd dream of taking on one of the "due?os del pa?s".