Crime meeting in Sosua. Follow-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
It is really very encouraging that Sosua city authorities and Police at last finally publicly acknowleaged and admitted the current situation of rising crime and drug dealing in Sosua and conveyed an urgent meeting with a wide representation. This important news was posted at another Forum devoted to the DR.

Is there any information regarding any practical steps so far as a follow-up?

Sos?a concerned about crime
Representatives of at least 30 civil and social organizations met on Tuesday evening, the 20 April in the auditorium of the Gregorio Luper?n school in El Batey to discuss the rising crime in the town of Sos?a. Among those present were the Deputy Minister of Tourism Lic Radhames G?zman, president of the Civil Defense (Defensa Civil) H?ctor V?squez, president of the neighbourhood association Ana Rosa Mendez, Pastor Bernardo Vasquez and Vicar Castillo Olmedo.

The meetingThe President of the meeting, Mr. Juan de Dios (Tito) Sierra made an overview of the incidents like armed robbery and shootings which took place. After this was pointed out, what action can be taken against the rising crime and drug smuggling. Puerto Plata has deployed more police to fight against drug related crime. This is very successful, for now, Puerto Plata has become much safer. But now some say that some of these drug dealers moved to Charamicos, Sos?a. The priest Bernardo V?squez proposed to set up a another meeting with the National Police. The Sosua police should also make the same approach such as the Puerto Plata example. Anderson Hern?ndez, owner of the web page Sos?a Online has the idea that all visitors to Charamicos should register with the police in advance. Those who did not register, are suspicious and the police should investigate their activities.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This is encouraging and I hope it continues.

But I can see that some half baked ideas were floated, such as all visitors to Charamicos must register in advance.

Hopefully there was an explanation that made sense, but what is presented here, does not.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I wish that I'd had known about the meeting. Where were notices posted/published?

Thanks, Ringo

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
It is really very encouraging that Sosua city authorities and Police at last finally publicly acknowleaged and admitted the current situation of rising crime and drug dealing in Sosua and conveyed an urgent meeting with a wide representation. This important news was posted at another Forum devoted to the DR.

What kind of drugs are we talking about other than coke and weed???

If a prostitute was to have a drug problem, what is the popular drug of choice in the DR??? Coke???

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003

What kind of drugs are we talking about other than coke and weed???

If a prostitute was to have a drug problem, what is the popular drug of choice in the DR??? Coke???

M-O-N-E-Y AKA D-I-N-E-R-O

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
There is some crack making the rounds, but from what I seem to see, it is less than what one would expect given it's low cost/buzz ratio.
It would seem that crack is recognized as the drug which will "get you" by most around here. Crackheads are recognized and frown upon.
Just yesterday, I saw a guy walk down the street in Downtown POP, clearly overly "happy". Big guy, didn't even look Dominican (more US or Jamaican), surprisingly fit (still) and clean dressed.
Haven't seen any Heroin addicts... locals are so afraid of needles,I doubt that would be the drug of choice.
Weed? I never seem to smell it anywhere but where trashy gringos hang around.

But coke, just like elsewhere, is still mistaken as a "safe", "clean" and "manageable" drug.
So, from what I gather and hear... cocaine is the drug of choice.

MEETINGS?
Great! But only stand a chance to effectively change anything, IF they are 100% PUBLIC and everybody can have a say.
Otherwise, it will soon culminate into yet another finger pointing party (crime migrated from Puerto Plata etc), and many crimes will remain un-discussed, because "so-and-so" prefers for it to remain silent. Eventually it becomes an other ground for power struggles for those smarties who hope to get access to any funds received schmused from the gov or other helpful minded organizations.

... J-D.

bayman

Jan 23, 2010
There is some crack making the rounds, but from what I seem to see, it is less than what one would expect given it's low cost/buzz ratio.
It would seem that crack is recognized as the drug which will "get you" by most around here. Crackheads are recognized and frown upon.
Just yesterday, I saw a guy walk down the street in Downtown POP, clearly overly "happy". Big guy, didn't even look Dominican (more US or Jamaican), surprisingly fit (still) and clean dressed.
Haven't seen any Heroin addicts... locals are so afraid of needles,I doubt that would be the drug of choice.
Weed? I never seem to smell it anywhere but where trashy gringos hang around.

But coke, just like elsewhere, is still mistaken as a "safe", "clean" and "manageable" drug.
So, from what I gather and hear... cocaine is the drug of choice.

MEETINGS?
Great! But only stand a chance to effectively change anything, IF they are 100% PUBLIC and everybody can have a say.
Otherwise, it will soon culminate into yet another finger pointing party (crime migrated from Puerto Plata etc), and many crimes will remain un-discussed, because "so-and-so" prefers for it to remain silent. Eventually it becomes an other ground for power struggles for those smarties who hope to get access to any funds received schmused from the gov or other helpful minded organizations.

... J-D.

So where do the 'trashy gringos' hang out?

Status
Not open for further replies.