start a garden

ratbastard

May 15, 2010
Hi. I have owned land on the Samana Peninsula for a number of years, and likewise have enjoyed reading the forums of DR1. This is however my first post.

I post today asking for advice on the field of gardening in the DR:

if you were to start a garden, a working garden, a garden aimed at self-sufficiency, a garden with flowers, and herbs, fruits, vegetables, almonds, with maybe bee hives, how would you go about it? I imagine the garden may be about an acre in total.

I am no stranger to the tropics, I am no stranger to gardening, but have no experience whatsoever in gardening in the DR. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. ratbastard

Tropicdude

May 26, 2009
Hello Ratbastard ( like the screename )

Well what I would recommend for a self-sufficiency garden would be to go permaculture.

Basically you can go a few different ways, you can do like most, just have a cash crop, sell what you grow, or you can have a smaller cash crop, and have a few other things growing for personal consumption ( my preference ).

Or you can try and just live completely off the land, which I feel is not very practical.

Permaculture techniques have proven to work very well in the tropics.

In case you do not know, You apply "science" and plot thing in a way that they benefit each other, place swells to collect water, use nitrogen fixing trees, to supply nutrients to your fruit trees, and fodder for your milk cow. all "waste" is used somehow, whether in compost, or biodigesters etc. the idea is to get the best benefits with the least amount of labor.

Tons of viewable/downloadable media and pdf files here:
permaMEDIA: ebooks

agroforestry database, here :

Agroforestree Database | World Agroforestry Centre

Permaculture forums:

permaculture forums

agroforestry net, lots of resources, on tropical farming, tree selecting guides etc.

Traditional Tree Initiative

The AGRODOK series of books is just perfect, there are around 45, 100 page booklets on every topic for sustainable tropical farming, you can find these on the web for free, ( usually through a torrent ) I could send them to you also through email, you can send me a PM.

More Permaculture resources here:

Permaculture Research Institute of Australia Farmers’ Handbook

And out in Azua we have a Swiss fellow, that has productive organic farming, he is part of an network of organic farms here in the Dominican Republic.

He may be able to give you advice, if your looking to go the cash crop route. I hope to visit his "Finca Girasol".

Here is his website:

Organic fruits from the Dominican Republic

I have a ton of e-books, and links for seeds etc, if you need them.

good luck

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I suppose you should test the soil ph first, although I never do - then you will know what will grow in that particular soil

P

poponlaburra

Follow the model of Horizontes Organicos. An incredible company that is helping our farmers and DR immensely.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
would be interesting if you started a thread on this once you come down here and kept it updated with how things were working out. you're a guy who will obviously succeed in this and it would be interesting to share that knoweldge with others; and you'll also attract the right people to you who are into the same stuff.

Reactions: mike l and Celt202

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
would be interesting if you started a thread on this once you come down here and kept it updated with how things were working out. you're a guy who will obviously succeed in this and it would be interesting to share that knoweldge with others; and you'll also attract the right people to you who are into the same stuff.

I agree.

One day I just might buy a small finca and grow stuff, which is why I've bookmarked this thread.

Reactions: mike l

Tropicdude

May 26, 2009
Ah, would love to have a few acres, to get my dream started also, meanwhile I learn what I can. gather information and try and keep in touch with those that have started.
:)

Reactions: mike l

ratbastard

May 15, 2010
Hello Ratbastard ( like the screename )

Well what I would recommend for a self-sufficiency garden would be to go permaculture.

Basically you can go a few different ways, you can do like most, just have a cash crop, sell what you grow, or you can have a smaller cash crop, and have a few other things growing for personal consumption ( my preference ).

Or you can try and just live completely off the land, which I feel is not very practical.

Permaculture techniques have proven to work very well in the tropics.

In case you do not know, You apply "science" and plot thing in a way that they benefit each other, place swells to collect water, use nitrogen fixing trees, to supply nutrients to your fruit trees, and fodder for your milk cow. all "waste" is used somehow, whether in compost, or biodigesters etc. the idea is to get the best benefits with the least amount of labor.

Tons of viewable/downloadable media and pdf files here:
permaMEDIA: ebooks

agroforestry database, here :

Agroforestree Database | World Agroforestry Centre

Permaculture forums:

permaculture forums

agroforestry net, lots of resources, on tropical farming, tree selecting guides etc.

Traditional Tree Initiative

The AGRODOK series of books is just perfect, there are around 45, 100 page booklets on every topic for sustainable tropical farming, you can find these on the web for free, ( usually through a torrent ) I could send them to you also through email, you can send me a PM.

More Permaculture resources here:

Permaculture Research Institute of Australia Farmers? Handbook

And out in Azua we have a Swiss fellow, that has productive organic farming, he is part of an network of organic farms here in the Dominican Republic.

He may be able to give you advice, if your looking to go the cash crop route. I hope to visit his "Finca Girasol".

Here is his website:

Organic fruits from the Dominican Republic

I have a ton of e-books, and links for seeds etc, if you need them.

good luck

Tropicdude,

I thank you for your comprehensive response! I will process and get back to you. I am constantly surprised by the collective knowledge of the forum!

May as well share the origin of ratbastard: having arrived at the part of the sign-up process where one is called upon for a screen name I (mistakenly or otherwise) posed the question aloud. Without a nanosecond of consideration "ratbastard" rocketed to me from another room.

ratbastard

May 15, 2010

I thank you for your confidence. Though I hadn't considered it, yes, now that I see there is a level of interest, I will find a way to blog it. And with that I guess the process has started!

Thank you Adrian.
ratbastard

kiai

Jun 1, 2007
Dominican Republic Permaculture Research Insitute Demonstration Educational Center

| DR PERMACULTURE INSTITUTE Finally took time to get a web site started. I invite any person with serious interest to contact me. There will be many pictures and videos posted and lots of information so come visit us often. Volunteers interested in learning about permaculture can also contact me. I will be holding an introduction workshop on Permaculture soon. Contact me if interested and I will put you on my email list for date time place etc.

Reactions: Taylor

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Oh Thank you, thank you for starting this thread. I am a passionate gardener in New Hampshire but I'm at a total loss in the tropics. Because we are staying for 6 months in Las Terrenas each year now I am arriving in November with a collection of seeds for vegetables and flowers that I think will thrive in a warm climate. Our soil is sandy and although we bring in new soil we haven't had much luck growing vegetables. Last year before leaving we bought a dump truck full of well composted manure to see if that will help. I'm looking forward to exploring the world of permaculture. Let's keep this thread going!!!