Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Update from Haiti

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Update from Haiti

Four cases of Diptheria have been reported in the Haitian camps. Warnings on outbreaks of thyphoid have been issued.

At least one foreign advisor to an NGO was kidnapped then ransomed, The Haitian driver was shot.

There are 217 executive job postings on Relief Web for NGOs in Haiti

Situation report from Relief Web
    Period covered by this Ops Update: 7 May - 13 May 2010

Appeal target (current): 218.4 million Swiss francs (203,478,000 US dollars or 148,989,000 euro) in cash, kind, or services is solicited to support the Haitian Red Cross Society (HRCS)/Federation to provide basic non-food items and emergency/transitional shelter to 80,000 beneficiary families and provide emergency health care, fulfilment of basic needs in water and sanitation and livelihoods support for vulnerable populations in the earthquake-affected region. Of the 218.4 million Swiss francs sought, the International Federation solicits Swiss francs 2.07 million to support its inter-agency coordination of the Shelter and Non-Food Items Cluster.

The donor response report shows current coverage of 67% of the overall Appeal target.

The budget for inter-agency coordination of the Shelter and Non-Food Items Cluster currently stands at 77%

Summary:

Sources within the Red Cross Red Crescent are indicating that some institutions have begun charging patients in hospitals although it was understood that the Government of Haiti would wait until July to reinstate mandatory charges for medical services. The reinstatement of a user pay system places pressure on the affected population which, as reported in an article of 11 May released by the Associated Press, has benefitted from improved access to health care over the past three months. This will also place increased pressure on the International Organizations which are not charging for services, but consequently are inundated with persons seeking assistance. The BeNeLux, French, and Finnish Emergency Response Units (ERU)s have handed over their duties to the HRCS/IFRC relief team and the Colombian and Mexican Red Cross emergency relief teams have completed their food distributions. The longer term Federation (IFRC) relief team will integrate new relief delegates with national staff and volunteers who have been associated with the operation since January, and in partnership with the HRCS, will continue to provide these teams with learning opportunities and on the job experience contributing to the national capacity to respond quickly to the needs of the affected population.
    "

And we see here that most aid agencies have spent less than 25% of what they collected

Following the Aid Money to Haiti - CBS Evening News - CBS News

and is one big issue underlying all this "aid"money that is being collected
    Haiti Wants Food Aid to Stop? - CBS Evening News - CBS News
    which is that is completely undermining all local agricultural trade and commerce...... creating dependency... undermining the existing health care system which is not free.. so that government hospitals and doctors are not being paid, cannot support themselves...

Note that most of the NGOs who collected the money have little or no CAPACITY on the ground to spend it EXCEPT to give out freebies... they have no staff... no programs, no projects. The Clinton Foundation was just opening their office......

And note again that there are really very very FEW programs that NGOs provide that actually lift people out of povery. Most of them just keep the people in poverty so that the NGOs can survive.

Perhaps it would have been better to just fly over Haiti with the money.. an estimated 37k per Haitian... and drop the cash in greenbacks over the countryside............

Then they could perhaps have come to the DR and bought some seeds instead of accepting the 3 million in genetically altered sterile seeds that Monsanto has so generously supplied to one NGO.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The seeds thing sucks.
    Instead of just coming down against Monsanto, Bayer and Dupont like I normally would do, I actually did some reading. Monsanto are going to sell the seeds t the market rate but god only knows what will happen to the money.
    The increased yield easily pays for for the cost of the seeds and the extra cost of buying next year's seeds.
    That is not the point.
    From next year on the farmers are committed to buying their seeds from these international companies.
    Monsanto then has them by the short and curlies.
    There is no going back once you do the deal with the devil.
    They are then at the beck and call of the multinationals.
    This is one way to ensure that large companies have control over and make money from the food production and that Haiti will never again be self sufficient in food. The final nail in the coffin for Haitian agriculture?
    Plus apparently although the fruits look better, they do not taste as good.

As for the kidnap to which you refer.
    I got this from the folks who know -

The bloody idiot decided to set himself up a little female company before he arrived in Haiti. So he got on facebook and found a girl to chat with. She knew when and where he would be and at what time. (Idiot!)
    The driver was a friend of the girl in question and set the whole thing up.
    They allegedly paid 75,000US$ for his release. The driver then wanted more of the take so they shot him.
    So that did not really work out very well for anybody apart from a few of the kidnappers. The girl is now in deep trouble.

I mean how stupid can you be?

If you go to Haiti - be a little bit cautious, please.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update, mountainannie. I gave it its own thread as it's not connected to the Silsby case.

The lack of capacity and structure on the ground to handle and spend the money was always a problem at the 'best' of times. They'd better get thinking quickly or they're going to get shown up big time. And of course, meanwhile, the suffering only increases.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by pedrochemical View Post
    The seeds thing sucks.
    Instead of just coming down against Monsanto, Bayer and Dupont like I normally would do, I actually did some reading. Monsanto are going to sell the seeds t the market rate but god only knows what will happen to the money.
    The increased yield easily pays for for the cost of the seeds and the extra cost of buying next year's seeds.
    That is not the point.
    From next year on the farmers are committed to buying their seeds from these international companies.
    Monsanto then has them by the short and curlies.
    There is no going back once you do the deal with the devil.
    They are then at the beck and call of the multinationals.
    This is one way to ensure that large companies have control over and make money from the food production and that Haiti will never again be self sufficient in food. The final nail in the coffin for Haitian agriculture?
    Plus apparently although the fruits look better, they do not taste as good.

I take great issue with that article. It's a piece written for feeling and it is ridciously spun, so spun out of control infact that it made me dizzy.

The whole thing is one yellow journalistic piece based upon partial facts attacking a company. Obviously the author had an axe to grind.

Is monsanto bad? Does it really matter and if it does I sure won't try to learn anything from a piece like that.

The seeds are not sold, they are being donated. A farmer was quoted (in the article) as saying "Help us produce, not just give us food" well heck, I think that it falls extactly at that.

Food aid isn't new to Haiti anyhow. How many years has it been going on for? food aid haiti - Google Search

It's so easy to hate Big Evil Corporation X that it blind sides one. They are donating non-GMO seeds, seeds which don't fall under their patents. If the "Haitian" population (or rather the ones with the power to call the shots) doesn't want them, fine. But you just watch, they will be crying out for food aid soon. Food dumping ("aid") DOES destroy countries, economies and lives. How ever food production does not. Next time famine because of reason X,Y,Z comes to Haiti and everyone calls out for food dumping (again)...

Oops, guess you should have planted, huh?

Truthout? More like Getout. Maybe what they write counts for Truth in 1984.
    Seeds with pesticide? Common practice. This yellow piece tries to equate it to agent orange. Give me a break.
    Seeds being DONATED? free and non-GMO. Which they state at the start but then write the next 2 pages as if they were paid/contracted and GMO seeds.
    The rest of the article? NOTHING to do with the situation in Haiti. I do not care what the company and the US government did in Colombia or Vietnam or anywhere else. We are (rather we were ) talking about Haiti (first 2 paragraphs). Irrelevant.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The farmers will also have to come up with the money to pay for Roundup and other high cost inputs plus get into long term contracts. Monsanto's "generousity" in other countries has led to suicides(often by consuming Monsanto chemicals), children being put into sexual slavery and selling kidneys. I'm sure Monsanto wouldn't mind digging deep wells for their crops as well, even if it just "happens" to lower the water table so nearby traditional farmers are put out of business. Vandana Shiva has written much about their tactics in India.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    to lower the water table so nearby traditional farmers are put out of business.
    What farmers would that be?

Increased production requires more water.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You do that with irrigation, not wells. Wells lower the ground water levels, so you need to use sprinklers. In a warm climate sprinklers will evaporate the water quicker.

Just remember that a lot of solutions in the world actually cause more problems.
    Egypt and the dam on the Nile over there is a prime example.

Take one quick look at the history of most of the pharmaceutical companies. A lot caused more harm with their "aid" and in the end filled their coffers ten-fold. As long as self-preservation is the main motive for giving aid, it will not solve a thing.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel10 View Post
    You do that with irrigation, not wells. Wells lower the ground water levels, so you need to use sprinklers. In a warm climate sprinklers will evaporate the water quicker.

Just remember that a lot of solutions in the world actually cause more problems.
    Egypt and the dam on the Nile over there is a prime example.

Take one quick look at the history of most of the pharmaceutical companies. A lot caused more harm with their "aid" and in the end filled their coffers ten-fold. As long as self-preservation is the main motive for giving aid, it will not solve a thing.
    And where would the "irrigation" come from????

Wells are a viable source of irrigation for crops. Ideally ponds are created in natural low areas and are fed by runoff.

I'm not guessing at this as I studied agriculture in addition to engineering.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    And where would the "irrigation" come from????

Wells are a viable source of irrigation for crops. Ideally ponds are created in natural low areas and are fed by runoff.

I'm not guessing at this as I studied agriculture in addition to engineering.
    Ideally ponds. Agree with that. I know the soil in Haiti is different from where I come from (NL), so I can't compare it. In NL ponds are needed as soon as we do any building as the groundwater will rise dramatically.
    But just setting up wells without consideration for neighbours, or public access will hurt the smaller farmers.

Not saying it's a bad thing, but a lot of NGO's would like some bragging rights about how good they are, but forget that just building a well in some place takes a lot more planning. Doing it wrong, could hurt more than it will solve.

Proper water management will be needed in the feature. And if no proper management is done it will mean that people will have less access to water.

Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast