Hotel & things to do in Las Terrenas

I have been to all parts of the DR but in 18 years of traveling to DR I have never been to Las Terrenas, I would like any and all suggestions on a good quality hotel not too expensive, and some suggestions on what to do while in Las Terrenas.I will be going in June for 1 or 2 night stay.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi,
You could try Hotel La Dolce Vita clean safe and a nice pool, right on the beach, do not forget to go to Playa Bonita, Playa Cozon, and the water falls at El Limon.

Have Fun

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I would suggest Hotel Alisei...we stayed there 2 years ago and were extremely satisfied with the place. They have an excellent restaurant on site, Baraonda.

As far as outings go, I too recommend El Limon falls as well as Playa Rincon for sure...best reached in a 4x4 but not essential.

www.hotelalisei.com

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
While the topic is the NE Coast does anyone have a recent price for a taxi to Samana from POP? 2 couples with luggage (10 days worth) would not be able to use an alternate method.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I just returned from LT after a week visit and am just as much in love with it as I was when I first visited 6 years ago. I stay at the Kari Beach that has become mi casa while in LT, but for a family the Alsei and the Colibri may be better. Both have a kitchen and pool, and, like the Kari Beach, are both a stones-throw from the beach. Now, in the low season, there are fewer touristas. There is an active nightlife on the weekends but it is the mucho tranqillo on the weekdays and the beaches are almost yours to enjoy solo. Enjoy!

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
this company Isaira Tours quotes $240 usd to LT from POP. i agree with ron that the playa ballenas area and the hotels he mentioned are the quietest and most convenient.

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
$240 !!!!!!!!!

this company Isaira Tours quotes $240 usd to LT from POP. i agree with ron that the playa ballenas area and the hotels he mentioned are the quietest and most convenient.

The official price from LT to POP is $180 in taxi turisticos.

I paid $160 in a taxi Turistico (mini van with AC) from POP airport to LT this past January.

You can bargain the quoted price even with Taxi Turisticos, at least I always do :)

I would suggest Hotel Alisei...we stayed there 2 years ago and were extremely satisfied with the place. They have an excellent restaurant on site, Baraonda.

As far as outings go, I too recommend El Limon falls as well as Playa Rincon for sure...best reached in a 4x4 but not essential.

Hotel Alisei , Las terrenas, Saman? , Dominican Republic

Just booked a 1 bedroom apt at the above hotel, thank you all for your input and I am looking forward to traveling to Las Terrenas as this is one of the few places I have not been to yet in the DR.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
... as well as Playa Rincon for sure...best reached in a 4x4 but not essential

Why go so far? You find some of Samana?s best beaches around LT. Playa Coson (an actually very lonely dream), Playa Bonita, Playa Moron (this one is private now, but in April access was still possible)...

Saludos

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Allisei is the best place. You will really like it. Nice pool, nice bar, not sure about restaurant and close to fishing village for eating. I recommend having cocktails and mosquito bar and ordering appetizers from the French restauarant. The tuna carpaccio is marvelous. You can walk, moto concho, or take four wheeler to restaurants.

Rent a four wheeler for about 1400 pesos per day and head to Coson. It is an undeveloped beach. Head back out of town and turn right at big gas station. Once you get past the new airport road construction the road makes a right angle turn. Take that trek to the beach where you will find a makeshift restaurant selling fresh fish and cold beers. It is a perfect place.

Limon is another 30 to 45 minutes by car. But from there, you need to rent a horse for about an hours ride up the mountain to see the falls. I do not think it is accessible any other way.

Enjoy!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Why go so far? You find some of Samana?s best beaches around LT. Playa Coson (an actually very lonely dream), Playa Bonita, Playa Moron (this one is private now, but in April access was still possible)...

Saludos

Agree with you, given the OP time constraints, it makes no sense to go all the way to Rincon.

Playa Moron is private now :surprised???? What happened ??
When I was there last summer, some Euros were shooting a movie, so we had to go around to access it, didn t go this winter though.

What a shame cause it is beautiful....:bored:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Allisei is the best place. You will really like it. Nice pool, nice bar, not sure about restaurant and close to fishing village for eating ... Limon is another 30 to 45 minutes by car. Enjoy!

I agree. But Limon is not only good for the waterfalls. There are some really, really good Dominican restaurants along the road. Maria's is my favorite! Great fresh fish fried to perfection, rice and beans, and all the fix'ins. You will love Las Terranas BP, and all of Samana Peninsula. I will bet that it won't be your last visit.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Rent a four wheeler for about 1400 pesos per day and head to Coson. It is an undeveloped beach. Head back out of town and turn right at big gas station. Once you get past the new airport road construction the road makes a right angle turn. Take that trek to the beach where you will find a makeshift restaurant selling fresh fish and cold beers. It is a perfect place.

You also can follow the road going right before the gas station. There?s a traffing sign for the Viva Wyndham (and if I remember right) to Playa Bonita, too. If you follow thad road you can turn right after a while to reach Playa Bonita (traffic sign). Otherwise you can follow the the signs to Viva Wyndham, pass that by keeping left and follow the road till it ends - you?ll find yourself at the middle of Coson. But the Dos Rios doesn?t exist anymore, completely removed. And I don?t know if the other beachbar beside it still exists. When driving this road please be careful , it?s frequently used by big trucks transporting building materials...

@Africaida

We went there with quads. The area was surrounded by a high fence and could only be entered by a gate (closed) or a hole in the fence where you could walk through. The gate was decorated with a sign "Propiedad privada. Prohibido ..." My friends from Las Terrenas only knew that the area was sold.

Perhaps someone here has more informations?

Saludos

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Thanks for the info Caipiranha ! I would love to know.......
I thought I read somewhere that beaches in DR were public properties ? :(

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
(...) But the Dos Rios doesn?t exist anymore, completely removed. And I don?t know if the other beachbar beside it still exists. When driving this road please be careful , it?s frequently used by big trucks transporting building materials...

@Africaida

We went there with quads. The area was surrounded by a high fence and could only be entered by a gate (closed) or a hole in the fence where you could walk through. The gate was decorated with a sign "Propiedad privada. Prohibido ..." My friends from Las Terrenas only knew that the area was sold.

Perhaps someone here has more informations?

Do?a Margarita Cede?o (DR 1st Lady) just bought it...

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
@squat

Thanks a lot for your info!

@Africaida

You are right! Beaches in RD are public! So the trick is to buy the whole area, including all the ways to the beaches to "cut them off". Then these beaches only can be reached by boat, perhaps aditionally they are guarded by a guy with a gun, so finally the beach is "yours". I also love Playa Moron and I?m very sad about this devellopment.

Saludos

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Does this mean you can't walk along the beach from Punta Bonita to Restaurant Luis, which was still there in April? and Playa Moron? It was possible to get to it in April as well. Interesting and depressing.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Does this mean you can't walk along the beach from Punta Bonita to Restaurant Luis, which was still there in April? and Playa Moron? It was possible to get to it in April as well. Interesting and depressing.
@ninapup

You can walk along Playa Bonita/Coson for hours. But I don?t know where is the Restaurant Luis - is it the same as the "Dos Rios"? Or Casa Coson?

At Moron I was at the end of April, access was still possible but only by walking - they left that hole in the fence.

Maybe there?re other ways to Moron, we took the one from El Limon with direction to La Cana and then turned left. 2 years ago you could also reach Moron climbing up-down a rocky path from the end of Playa Limon, the old way from Playa Limon to Moron, following the sea, was cut off by a private property...

Saludos