Coral Sol Resort vs. Aparta Hotel Pontevedra

hahm74

May 7, 2007
We're planning on spending 4 nights in the southwest. I've narrowed the hotel down to these two. From what I've read Coral Sol is a nicer place. However, Pontevedra is quite a bit cheaper and looks nice enough. Has anyone stayed at or at least been to either of these places? If so, could you give me a review of either one or an opinion as to which to chose. Thanks!

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Aparthotel Pontevedre

I have stayed at the Aparthotel Pontevedre several times. If you do a search you will find descriptions that are mostly accurate. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with a bedroom and a living room with a couch and a kitchenette with stove and refrigerator. My one complaint was that the a/c was loud. The TV did not have many choices but I really don't watch it much. The pool is excellent with a beautiful view of the ocean and a swim up bar, and a childrens pool. The drinks were good and the beer was cold. There are steps down to a long deserted beach lined with white cliffs. the beach was a mix of sand and smooth beach gravel. We did not swim here as the sea was very active and we were unsure of the undertow, but it was gorgous just to sit and watch it. They have an outdoor shower at the top of the stairs. The owners are very friendly and helpful and the staff were all very good as well. The bartender offered to take us down to a local Larimar shop on his moto once. I asked the maid to do my laundry once and she did an excellent job. There is a colmador nearby for some supplies and aliitle music at night, and a small shop selling empenadas and soda and beer across the street. They include breakfast and dinner in the price of the room. The breakfast was scrambled eggs with toast or an egg sandwich with juice and coffee. There are no other choices but the breakfast was perfect for us before we went out for the day. We actually asked them to pack it to go one day so we could eat on the road and they were happy to do that. Dinner consisted of the same four choices every night: beef, fish, chicken or goat. This was served with french fries, mashed potatos or tostones and a salad. If you are there a lot of nights the lack of choice may bother you.There are several good restaurants in Barahona about 12KM away. There is a menu for lunch but that is not included. The food was good, but nothing to write home about. For the price I thought it was a great deal. It was very quiet at night and we spent several nights watching the moon rise up out of the sea. The bar usually closes around 9 or 10 pm unless they are busy. A gorgous and relaxing setting with friendly and helpful employees. I have never seen more than a few of the rooms rented at a time. I plan to stay there again when I return to Barahona. I have never been to the CoralSol so I cannot help you with that. I hope this helps you.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Our friends just returned from Pontevedra last week and really enjoyed it...they thought it was really good value for money too!

We had recommended Playa Azul where we had previously stayed but they could not reach them via telephone so found Pontevedra just down the street.

Cant comment on the other place as I am not familiar with it.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I have stayed at the Aparthotel Pontevedre several times. If you do a search you will find descriptions that are mostly accurate. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with a bedroom and a living room with a couch and a kitchenette with stove and refrigerator. My one complaint was that the a/c was loud. The TV did not have many choices but I really don't watch it much. The pool is excellent with a beautiful view of the ocean and a swim up bar, and a childrens pool. The drinks were good and the beer was cold. There are steps down to a long deserted beach lined with white cliffs. the beach was a mix of sand and smooth beach gravel. We did not swim here as the sea was very active and we were unsure of the undertow, but it was gorgous just to sit and watch it. They have an outdoor shower at the top of the stairs. The owners are very friendly and helpful and the staff were all very good as well. The bartender offered to take us down to a local Larimar shop on his moto once. I asked the maid to do my laundry once and she did an excellent job. There is a colmador nearby for some supplies and aliitle music at night, and a small shop selling empenadas and soda and beer across the street. They include breakfast and dinner in the price of the room. The breakfast was scrambled eggs with toast or an egg sandwich with juice and coffee. There are no other choices but the breakfast was perfect for us before we went out for the day. We actually asked them to pack it to go one day so we could eat on the road and they were happy to do that. Dinner consisted of the same four choices every night: beef, fish, chicken or goat. This was served with french fries, mashed potatos or tostones and a salad. If you are there a lot of nights the lack of choice may bother you.There are several good restaurants in Barahona about 12KM away. There is a menu for lunch but that is not included. The food was good, but nothing to write home about. For the price I thought it was a great deal. It was very quiet at night and we spent several nights watching the moon rise up out of the sea. The bar usually closes around 9 or 10 pm unless they are busy. A gorgous and relaxing setting with friendly and helpful employees. I have never seen more than a few of the rooms rented at a time. I plan to stay there again when I return to Barahona. I have never been to the CoralSol so I cannot help you with that. I hope this helps you.

I second the above review, I have been many times to Pontevedra and was never disappointed, I have also brought large groups of family and friends and had a great time.

I have never stayed at Coral del Sol but I hear it is also very good, the setting is different since Coral del Sol is in a woody area farther away from the sea (not too far though, walking distance) and the view is spectacular. It is an eco-friendly resort and instead of rooms it has bungalows, it is easily reachable since it's righ off the road to San Rafael.