Importing to the DR fees

bigguy2857

Dec 16, 2008
I am tring to send some electronics from china to the DR first time doing this. There will be about 100 pcs. What do I ned to know about fees or charges customs from the DR side. Thanks

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I am tring to send some electronics from china to the DR first time doing this. There will be about 100 pcs. What do I ned to know about fees or charges customs from the DR side. Thanks

My research, shipping from China importing here was a total of 36% of the invoice value. This is what the D.R. government wants, nothing to do with the shipping charges.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
My research, shipping from China importing here was a total of 36% of the invoice value. This is what the D.R. government wants, nothing to do with the shipping charges.

I have also searched this to no avail. Where can one find definitive information on the expected legal fees, charges, taxes duties, expected bribes etc. for modest importing of products similar to example above, but not necesaarily from China.
Any english speaking contacts or resources would be much appreciated.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have also searched this to no avail. Where can one find definitive information on the expected legal fees, charges, taxes duties, expected bribes etc. for modest importing of products similar to example above, but not necesaarily from China.
Any english speaking contacts or resources would be much appreciated.

My best advice would be to contact an import broker here.
I don't want to give anyone the brokers name that I talked to because I felt him to be unreliable and not of good character.
When I was told 36%, I decided to stay retired and the government can stick there 36% where the sun doesn't shine. I really didn't need the money and now they get a whopping 0%. I refuse to buy another car for a government official.
The problem is that you don't ever know when you are being told the truth. You can have a shipment in port and what if they say 100% or 200% in duties.
It just wasn't worth the hassle dealing with a bunch of morons.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
My best advice would be to contact an import broker here.
I don't want to give anyone the brokers name that I talked to because I felt him to be unreliable and not of good character.
When I was told 36%, I decided to stay retired and the government can stick there 36% where the sun doesn't shine. I really didn't need the money and now they get a whopping 0%. I refuse to buy another car for a government official.
The problem is that you don't ever know when you are being told the truth. You can have a shipment in port and what if they say 100% or 200% in duties.
It just wasn't worth the hassle dealing with a bunch of morons.

Yes unfortunately this is the sentiment i keep hearing which completely deters one from going into biz in this wonderful wild west island. Too bad too sad...Developing country in transition???? right!!! cant even put a business plan together that is within a 100% room for error....Pichardo, Nals, country in transition? to where, i ask????

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
May I suggest this topic. "Importing into the DR" again be made a sticky, similar to the one at the top of the business section, of which was closed 4 years ago, as requested by OP.
I realize there may or may not be a resident expert who will address all the questions and concerns, but I am sure at minimum there could be some very up to date valuable information and shared experiences and maybe broker contacts via PM.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
May I suggest this topic. "Importing into the DR" again be made a sticky, similar to the one at the top of the business section, of which was closed 4 years ago, as requested by OP.
I realize there may or may not be a resident expert who will address all the questions and concerns, but I am sure at minimum there could be some very up to date valuable information and shared experiences and maybe broker contacts via PM.

That is a very good idea....

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
At least two of us think so

Spoke with Pobidom today, a smaller version of EPS. The girl there said taxes duites etc. on most imports usually run about 40%. They charge 2.85usd per pound for anything under 70 lbs to ship from their Miami PO to SD.

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Dominican republic signed an international agreement a few years ago to scrap the 20% tax on anything computer or technology related, to try and make the country catch up and advance. So its not 36% you will have to pay, but just 16%. Ive shipped and they trried to charge me 36%. I complained strongly and printed off the international agreement, and they dropped it to 16%. but they WILL try 36% if u dont argue ur way.

Syl

Sep 11, 2010
I have a similar doubt, does anyone know about the fees or customs charges for importing handicrafts from Argentina to RD? Maybe a phone number or a site where we can have some info. Thanks a lot!

Carlos_

Mar 10, 2009
Let's hope I get some attention from a 2 year old post... :cheeky:

Dominican born, and proud owner of a cedula.

I am looking to import a work machinery from China, I was quoted $3,100 + $480 for the machinery and $1,300 for the raw materials, to have it shipped to the port of Haina.

I know that the 1st rule is find a broker, but I would hate to go in with zero information.

What should I expect to pay? (If nothing else, a guess-timate would at least point me in the right direction)

Should I have my business incorporated, prior to doing so?

Would it just make sense to import to NY and have a dominican door 2 door shipping company take care of the process (Montero Shipping $2,000)

I am looking for the most cost-effective solution.

Thanks all wise ones of DR1!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Fit what you can in 55 gallon barrels and roll the dice!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The sad part is, you could import that same items over and over and get different results each time due to the lack of transparency in Dominican customs. It really is a crap shoot.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Fees

This is a question you should ask of your import/export broker. Your product(s) will have a Schedule B commodity code and this code will be helpful in determining the tariff, taxes, and transportation costs. The professional handling your shipment can use this information to provide you with all of the estimated costs up-front.

Regards,

PJT

Carlos_

Mar 10, 2009
The sad part is, you could import that same items over and over and get different results each time due to the lack of transparency in Dominican customs. It really is a crap shoot.

That's what I was afraid of, but I'm not surprised. Looks like this is the result of not having proper enforcement, or else we would have an official fee schedule...

Carlos_

Mar 10, 2009
This is a question you should ask of your import/export broker. Your product(s) will have a Schedule B commodity code and this code will be helpful in determining the tariff, taxes, and transportation costs. The professional handling your shipment can use this information to provide you with all of the estimated costs up-front.

Regards,

PJT

Thanks PJT My Uncle's brother worked at the port in Haina, I'm sure he can recommend me a reputable broker.

Here's hoping i get exonerated from paying taxes! HA! :p