Where can my girlfriend rent a dress?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
She has two weddings in the next two weeks, and the same people are going to the same wedding. So she needs to wear two different dresses since she can't be seen twice with the same dress.

She wants to buy two dresses, but since things are a little tough economically, I suggested she rent them. Guys can rent them, so I assume women can also.

So my question is... where can one she rent dresses?

Thanks for your help.

barriolad

Feb 27, 2010
Just ask around...I gave my girl $ and she appeared in a very nice red gown. i saw it once. next day gone...

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for your reply.

Do you remember where she bought it?

She tells me a decent dress could cost 4000-5000 pesos, so that's 10,000 pesos in two dresses for two occasions that she'll probably only use once or twice.

She's also a little taller (and slightly heavier) than most of her friends, so she can't ask to borrow a dress.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Not knowing where your girlfriend is located makes it difficult to give specific shops/locations for the purchase/rental of dresses. May I offer you two thoughts however :
1. There are numerous second hand shops in many of the larger towns/cities & she should be able to find something suitable at these for about RD $500 (top whack) each. She will doubtless not be bashful in buying from somewhere like these as SOME of the stuff they get (generally from the Haitian border towns) can be very up-market stuff - she just needs to source her needs diligently!
2. Go to a sasteria (tailor) & get him/her to make something up to her own design/needs. Shouldn't cost more than RD $2,000/3,000 each - I had a fully lined 3 piece 'dress (zoot) suit' complete with cravat made up for my niece's wedding in the UK (society do & all that cr#p) for just RD $4,500.
(I am now available for bar mitzvahs, weddings & funeral/wake appearances!!)

Food for thought maybe?? ~ Grahame.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Almost every "casa de novia" rents dresses. In Santiago they are all over the place.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for all the posts.

She lives in Santiago and works in La Vega.

I even suggested she drive up to Santo Domingo (even if she has to spend $30+ in gas), but that's better than spending RD $10000 in dresses.

I'll tell her to visit a tailor to see what she thinks. Where can she find a 2nd hand shop in Santiago or La Vega?

What 'casa de novia' do you suggest in Santiago?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
One is good for two.

She has two weddings in the next two weeks, and the same people are going to the same wedding. So she needs to wear two different dresses since she can't be seen twice with the same dress.
I understand.
But if she is marrying two different men would either one notice? :cheeky:

donP

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks for all the posts.

She lives in Santiago and works in La Vega.

I even suggested she drive up to Santo Domingo (even if she has to spend $30+ in gas), but that's better than spending RD $10000 in dresses.

I'll tell her to visit a tailor to see what she thinks. Where can she find a 2nd hand shop in Santiago or La Vega?

What 'casa de novia' do you suggest in Santiago?
Alida rents from Valeria in Santiago, near the Parque Valerio.

But they are hardly the only one. Casa de Novia's are big bidness in the DR. They are all over the place.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for the help.

That's something only women notice. Men just say "you look nice" and hope for the best.