horseback riding

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Does anyone know of any good places on the North Coast to go horseback riding. I have plenty of experience riding and I'd like to go to a place that has horses that aren't all worn out. We'll be living here come July and I'd like to be able to ride frequently. Thanks in advance, Corey

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Two places to check would be at Sea Horse Ranch and a place across from Coconut Palms in Cabarete that used to offer horseback riding.

I am not sure CocoNut Palms (on Playa Encuentro, in between Sosua and Cabarete) would qualify for a universal recommendation. I reckon it depends on what kind of horse back riding experience one is looking for.
I've just recently seen these "horses"... some are barely 2-dimensional, so underfed and small. The "guy" who presented the horses, a local "kid" had no clue whatsoever about horses and the prices for an hour were quoted somewhere around USD 30.oo or more (it was so ridiculous for the "quality", I did not really concentrate on remembering exactly).
It might be something "tourists" who are not really into horses might want to "do" as part of their leisure time here, as they also offer romantic moonlight beach trips... but horse lovers may be appalled by the condition of the animals and the saddles etc.

Some owners at SeaHorse Range have some "serious" horses... I don't know which ones are available to the public and if they are exclusively classical riding or also some western (pleasure, trail) trained horses.

I understand there is another center nearby which had been recommended years ago... but the name escapes me right now. I haven't visited them either, so I can't comment.

Sadly, compared to much of Latin America and especially Mexico, Colombia, Peru and even Ecuador, the DR has virtually no sizable Equine "culture". I miss that.

... J-D.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
That's too bad, I was really hoping to go riding in the mountains and the campo.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Rancho Lorilar is near Playa Dorada. They have only well fed well cared for horses. They do regular group rides and will set something private up if you prefer.

Lorilar Ranch - Home

Phone 1-829-977-7112 to book in advance. If you get spanish message call back later.....

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Also try Tommy at Rancho Luisa - their tours are pretty famous for being challenging, they take place on land that they own, crossing waterfalls and rivers several times. A 4 hour ride, including transport from Cabarete and lunch is $55 - you can reach him on 809 986 1984. They are in Sabaneta.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
plenty of quality rides available in the mountains here at Jarabacoa... about 1hour and 45 minutes from cabarete (the horses are paso fino's)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Real horses in the D.R.

Other then the obvious tourist places, finding a good ride on a good horse is difficult.

For those interested and serious about horses or just want to enjoy, the Dominican Republic has several Ranches with Grand Champions that are known in horse community around the world. Most being the Paso Fino breed that was the first horses brought to the New World. Though most of these private ranches are not open to the public, there are some that welcome new serious horse people and can provide a lot of information. Many of these stables have horses for sale. Some have some to rent. Many offer expert riding instruction.

One organization here in the Dominican Republic, that we belong to, is Adopaso, www.adopaso.com.do They have a schedule of this years events on their sight with the next one being on July 24th. These shows open to the public to watch, a fee is charged.

In the last couple of months my wife and self have attended an Adopaso show in Jarabacoa and an informal exhibition at Paraiso del Caballo in El Choco/Sosua, that we also showed in. About 47 home type videos can be seen at: YouTube - divacary's Channel

Ringo

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Rancho Lorilar gets my vote too. Co-owned by a Canadian lady called Gabriela. Slightly biased as I kept my horse there for years but they have the most beautiful horses if you can really ride and the guides are good fun too. Have a good time.

Rio

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I moved this to the North Coast Forum because the question was specific to the north coast. Ringo and JD Sauser made interesting contributions on horseriding in the DR in general: maybe one of you would like to start a new thread in General Stuff or Living?

May 8, 2009
drhorses.com

I went last week in Cabrera and had a great time. Apart from having criollo horses, the owner recently bought thoroughbreds which he is currently trail-training. These horses are huge! The web address is drhorses.com

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
probably not rio, guess his website isn't updated, but i just got daniels phone number, its 809-675-9546....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In the "Dominion" Republic?

Incredible that nowhere on the site does it give any clue as to the location.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
That's what I thought Chiri.... and the people singing its praises don't seem to know either!

Rio

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yes great, but where is it??????????

In the "Dominion" Republic?

Incredible that nowhere on the site does it give any clue as to the location.

That's what I thought Chiri.... and the people singing its praises don't seem to know either!

Rio

But, but... it SAYS at the bottom of the page where it is:

"Rancho Lobo Gris is a ranch located in the Dominican Republic and operated by Grey Wolf Ranch of Victor, Colorado."

:cheeky:

... J-D.

Status
Not open for further replies.