Does anyone know where the old train station in Santo Domingo is?

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I can't find any trace of old railroads using Google Earth except by the old factory in Haina. Obviously by my user name I am a train spotter and I would like to be able to take a picture of this place during my trip that is coming up soon.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The only trains in the south were narrow gauge rails used to move cut cane around and to the sugar mills. Haina, San Pedro and La Romana and Barahona. Probably a couple more.
The only rail line was Ferrocarril Central that ran from Puerto Plata out to Sanchez.
There was no train station in Santo Domingo.

HB

Reactions: Tamborista

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The only trains in the south were narrow gauge rails used to move cut cane around and to the sugar mills. Haina, San Pedro and La Romana and Barahona. Probably a couple more.
The only rail line was Ferrocarril Central that ran from Puerto Plata out to Sanchez.
There was no train station in Santo Domingo.

HB

I'm officially amazed now, and absolutely convinced that there is NOTHING that you can't answer. Luis, you are a walking, breathing Dominican encyclopedia. How lucky we are to have you.

Robert, you have to stop this "spread it around" on rep points!!!

AE

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
That is quite surprising that the new project that a study was done for would be the first time ever for a Santo Domingo-Santiago train.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
He will never find a clue in Santo Domingo as this never ran in the south of the Dominican Republic. "El Viaducto" constructed by Pte. Trujillo was a transportation ferrous system from Pto. Pta. / Santiago / Sanchez.
you can find some clues in P.P. and Moca city they still have the old train cabins in display as a museum piece.

JJ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there is the old train station and some old pieces in Sanchez, down by the wharf.
In Moca, they have an old engine on display at the entrance to the city coming from Santiago (down the hill from the Jail and Army fort.)
there is another engine on display in La Vega on the road to Villa Tapia, out past the ball park.
And, of course, there is the old train station in POP down by the old wharf.

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
The influential businessman David Toribio Lantigua from Puerto Plata, has asked President Leonel Fern?ndez to restore the train connection between Puerto Plata and the second-largest town in the country, Santiago. This was in response to the announcement by the President that a better train connection would be made with the harbour town of Haina. David Toribio Lantigua says that the route between Puerto Plata and Santiago is much shorter and that.]

I found this that says someone wants to restore the line, this would mean there was one there originally one would think

Last edited by a moderator:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I found this that says someone wants to restore the line, this would mean there was one there originally one would think
Yes jrhartley, I remember when Pte. Balaguer started the construction of the road that connect Santiago to Pto. Pta. going through Navarrete I'm talking about the 1970 I was a child by the time but I remember they had to remove part of the old rail road.

Oh by the way the Altamira tunnel was built for the rail road.

JJ

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Los Ferrocarriles

He will never find a clue in Santo Domingo as this never ran in the south of the Dominican Republic. "El Viaducto" constructed by Pte. Trujillo was a transportation ferrous system from Pto. Pta. / Santiago / Sanchez.
you can find some clues in P.P. and Moca city they still have the old train cabins in display as a museum piece.

JJ

Correction - The public passenger and goods trains network that ran in the northern part of the island were installed by the government of President Ulises Heureaux, Lilis in the late 1880's and not Trujillo. He was actually responsible for the decline of the railway system by not investing in it. He believed that all commerce should be centered around the capitol. Shame really - what a great tourist attraction it would be.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Railway Line Puerto Plata Sanchez

There is not a lot of information about the railway but the New Edition of the British Admiralty Chart No 3689 - Haiti to Puerto Rico including the Mona Passage shows the railway from Puerto Plata to Sanchez. This chart was published in 1908 and the New Edition 17th April 1914.
Th railway is shown running through the following towns ? these were the names at the time and may not be the same now.

Port Plata ( Puerto Plata)
Bsjaabonico
Altamira
Las Lagunas
Santiago
Marilopez
Moca
Salcedo
La Vega
La Gina
Pimental
Riva
Sanchez

At Moca as you come down towards the town a colmado has a sign of the old Railway Train on the right. While I have never verified this I think the line crossed the road at that point on the way to Sanchez.
Whether the partially restored train down by Puerto Plata docks is part of the rolling stock is also unkown but it is possible.

On this chart the only other railway shown is from Port -au- Prince via Pont Bedette , Thomaseau to Lake Saumatre.
Nothing is shown for this period for Santo Domingo.

Drakes comments seem to bear this out :
The public passenger and goods trains network that ran in the northern part of the island were installed by the government of President Ulises Heureaux, Lilis in the late 1880's and not Trujillo. He was actually responsible for the decline of the railway system by not investing in it. He believed that all commerce should be centered around the capitol. Shame really - what a great tourist attraction it would be.

The old chart can reveal many things that have been lost on modern day maps and marine charts.
HTH

Olly