Santo Domingo in July, advise and questions...

empyre02

Jun 2, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am taking a couple of weeks off in July to visit D.R. and I have a heavy interest in Santo Domingo. I am 26 years old and male and I am looking to enjoy the architecture and history of the city as well as wandering around in zona colonial. I enjoy nightlife too but not to the point that I want it to be the focal point of my trip. With that said I am curious if D.R. is the type of place that I can "pick up and go to" without extensive travel plans and hotel arrangements. I would love to stay in a "backpacker style" hostel or small local hotel if possible. I don't care if it is run down or old I understand where I am going and why, but I am not sure if I need to book and plan in advance. I am curious as to what others have done in the past in their trips to D.R., specifically the Santo Domingo area. Ideally, I want to budget accordingly but I have no interest in "resort-style" living and touristy hotels. I would like to travel off the beaten path as much as I can for where I am going. Any advise?

P.S. I only have minor spanish knowledge, but I have travelled solo before. Thanks everyone!

joejamchicago

Dec 29, 2008
For off the beaten path, you can't beat AYUCA, twenty minutes east of Cabarete, just before Gaspar Haernandez, in Las Canas. $35 per night, 30 seconds walk to nice beach, nice room private bath, kitchen privileges. Contact Mike at <mikejohns09@gmail.com>.
Phone 829-754-3948. Let us know how it all works out. Joe`

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Hostels in Santo Domingo

My girlfriend and I first visited Santo Domingo last September. I would recommend the Duque de Wellington hostel in Gazcue. I think the cheapest room is $45 a night, plus they have a guy there named Rigoberto that can servce as a personal driver plus a guide of sorts.

The only con about that hotel is that when I wasn't with my girlfriend guys seemed overly friendly. Not sure if that's the Dominican way but it struck me as odd that they never talked to me when I was with my girlfriend. Not sure if I was just imagining things. Other than that I would recommend the Duque Hostel.

Slick James

Mar 11, 2010
-I recommend Hotel Condo Parque, which is listed in this website's directory.

Money-saving tips:
-spend as little time on el conde as possible
-to save money on food: don't listen to anything that the government-sponsored "tour guides" tell you, as they only direct you to tourist traps. Eat your lunch in the comedors on the side steets (where actual Dominicans eat) and you'll get heaping plates of quality food for 100 pesos.
-don't let anybody "show you where something is" - it's always something you could have figured out for youself, and they'll always expect payment for 30 seconds of advice.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
My girlfriend and I first visited Santo Domingo last September. I would recommend the Duque de Wellington hostel in Gazcue. I think the cheapest room is $45 a night, plus they have a guy there named Rigoberto that can servce as a personal driver plus a guide of sorts.

The only con about that hotel is that when I wasn't with my girlfriend guys seemed overly friendly. Not sure if that's the Dominican way but it struck me as odd that they never talked to me when I was with my girlfriend. Not sure if I was just imagining things. Other than that I would recommend the Duque Hostel.

Gay Hotel, that has started expanding on its client?le, their version of a sanky.