Carry on backpack on AA to Dominican Republic

empyre02

Jun 2, 2010
Hey everyone,

I promised myself I would not post a silly question asking about backpacks/carry-on limits/ or what is the best to take with me. But here I am finding myself posting on this subject anyway. I am flying to Santo Domingo and backpacking D.R. (for two weeks) using American Airlines and I would like to take one bag with me for the trip. I do not wish to not have complete control over my bag by checking it in to them and "hope for the best" when I arrive/depart.

I looked on the website and saw that their "dimensional inches" length/width/height shall not exceed 45 inches and 40lbs. With that being said I wanted to purchase a Deuter 32 for the trip. The "dimensional inches" for this bag are just slightly over the "limit". I plan to take minimal stuff and wish to have room for things should I decide to pick stuff up along the way so I am curious if anyone who has flown AA recently or similar flight carriers if (in your opinion) I would be okay getting this bag, I can compress this bag some if I need to, that I am sure of. Has anyone experienced this bag before (Deuter 32) or something similar as a carry on?

For the record I do not want a "wheeled bag" or one with little support as I will be staying in hostels/guesthouses and do not wish to have a dragging bag behind me.

Thanks so much for your opinions and input. It is greatly appreciated.

joejamchicago

Dec 29, 2008
You are rolling the dice if your carry-on bag is even 1/2 inch over the size limitation of 45 inches length, width, heighth combined. If you can compress bag so that it does not exceed 45 inches combined, do so. Put a few items in a shopping bag, thereby permitting sufficient squeeze. I have many times succeeded, without notice or questioning, to carry on a maximum sized carry-on bag, computer in its over the shoulder case, AND shopping bag. Only obstacle is getting through secuirity, which I overcome by placing the computer inside or on top of the shopping bag. No one from AA has every questioned my actually having three-count them --three carry-ons.
Good luck. Let us know how it all goes. Best. Joe

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I've seen the gate checkers pull people aside and make them check their bag because it's not to thier standards, and they whip out a measuring tape to show you. So it depends on who is looking at the carry on luggage before you board the plane. Just so you know - another option is to check it for free. AA doesn't charge for baggage to the DR - yet. I've never had my luggage lost on my AA flights to the DR...

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Looks like it's great for backpacking but bad for flying. You will more than likely not be allowed on the plane with this (ribbed) backpack. Check it.

From Moosejaw:
"Free Shipping. Deuter Futura 32 Pack (Spring 2010) The Futura 32 Pack by Deuter was built for the weekend get-away. Just enough space for an overnight with features that you normally do not find in a small rucksack. FEATURES of the Futura 32 Pack by Deuter Top Lid Pocket Side Bellow Pockets Compression Straps Hydration Compatible Divided Main Compartment Side Mesh Pockets Front Stash Pocket Stabilizer Straps Interior Valuables Pocket Integrated Rain Cover Ice Axe and Trekking Pole Loops Carrying Capacity = 25 lbs. SPECIFICATIONS: Volume: 1950 cu. in. Torso: 17-21 in. Weight: 3 lbs. 10 oz. Dimensions: 26 x 13 x 9 in. System: Aircomfort Materials: Micorip, Nylon-Polytex OVERSIZE ITEM: We cannot ship this product by any expedited shipping method (3-Day, 2-Day or Next Day). Even if you pick that option, it will still go Ground Shipping. Sorry for being so mean."

barriolad

Feb 27, 2010
Just tape it shut...spend the 5-10$ at airport... after inspection most have taping services..

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
If you can squeeze the 26 in legnth down to 22 inches so that the bag will fit endwise into the overhead compartment you should be good to go. Why not go out to the airport and try fitting your bag into the size checking box they have at all the checkin counters to see if it fits?