where have all the police disappeared to?

chiman0624

Jul 15, 2003
I understand there is a new colonel with the Politur and that may very well be the reason for an obvious lack of police on the Conde. During the past few weeks we have been hard pressed to see these uniformed "law enforcement" officers, day or night. Last night about 830 I was walking home and passed KFC on the Conde, which is pretty close to the police station and there were a "gang" of 8 to 10 young boys harrassing people going in and out of KFC, in plain view of the uniformed officers across the street. At Pacos, we are now consistently bothered by shoeshine boys and others coming right up to our tables asking for pesos. Francisco does his best to keep them away but these ruffians think it is all funny. A few weeks ago it was common place to see officers standing at the corner. So I ask, WHERE HAVE ALL THE POLICE GONE? Can the colonel or anyone answer when it will again be safe on the Conde?

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
They maybe all at the summit in Punta Cana for the Haitian relief. The VIP’s need the protection more than us that live here. They are certainly not in the north part of the country where the tourists seem to roam!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PJT agrees with BermudaRum, all the available military and police have been temporarily reassigned to the Punta Cana tourist zone to provide security for the Haiti summit. They are stationed all over the zone, roughly at every half km on the main travel routes from the airport and Higuey to the summit location at the Moon Palace resort.

Regards,
PJT